Change Mode

gordesky1,

Besides "as little as possible", what kind of dollars are you looking at investing in upgrading?

I ask because it will make a big difference in what's recommended. And that will determine how long the machine will last before you're bumping up against it's limits again.

What kind of games do you want to play? RPGs, FPS? Do you expect to be able to play Doom III and HL2?

I've built a number of gaming machines for folks and would be glad to make recommendations but I need to know more about your expectations.

one more thing will that amd board be good for gameing and stuff becaze i see intel micro atx on newegg too which one do you think i get? and what the highest cpu will that amd board go?

Wit hthe specs I system links I gave you to upgrade with your system will do MUCH better than what you have now... Any game you have played on your current system I'm positive will play MUCH better on the new one. :)

Also, if you get some good cooling, you could prob push that Duron up to about 2200-2400MHz. :)

:worship: : all4sma :

ok thanks :) do i need a cpu fan for the duron? and when i put the motherboard in do i put all the cd video card and everything in and just install windows? im new puting in motherboards :)

Edited by gordesky1

You will need a fan... I would reccomend spending about $30 bucks and getting a Thermaltake fan for it:

:: http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3704106

:::: You won't need it running, full blast, but if you decide to overclock the CPU it will work great!

About installing, the motherboard, just follow the instructions... Very Carefully... When you're installing a motherboard for the first time it can be quite irritating. :)

:: Just be sure to read through the mobo's manual carefully.

::::Your best bet (if possible) is to find a friend or something that has done this sort of thing before... Installing mobos that is. :) Have him/her teach yuo as they do it...

Other than that, everything is pretty simple and straight forward... Like you said, just install the vid card, and the other hardware into it, and put the OS CD in , install Windows, and you'll be good to go!

... Another thing... it might be best to even look into a new case... with more expansion ports... you could prob pick one of for ~$30 bucks... Either way, though... you're current case I'm sure will do fine... :)

Good Luck, and be sure to let us know how it all goes!

Edited by all4sma

well depending on how much hes willing to spend on upgrades, he can have a good p4 system for around 600 bux.

You're right... It's really all up to him...

I really don't know why, but I just assumed he would want to spend as little as possible... and be able to work off of what he's got. :)

If you want to spend more, then so be it... Let us know, and we can make some more suggestions to you on things like motherboards, and CPUs, etc...

I really don't know why, but I just assumed he would want to spend as little as possible... and be able to work off of what he's got. :)

If you want to spend more, then so be it... Let us know, and we can make some more suggestions to you on things like motherboards, and CPUs, etc...

yep i agree. If he needs as little as possible 300-500, his best bet for performance and price would be an AMD system. But if you want best performance for around 500 or more, he could go with a P4 system (Most likely 2.4C). If he wants a true overclocker though, these 2.4C's are "da bomb", alotta them get 3.0 ghz + stable. Plus with the lower VCore requirements ( i think?) they run a little cooler than AMD's(from what i know, i could be wrong)

yep i agree. If he needs as little as possible 300-500, his best bet for performance and price would be an AMD system. But if you want best performance for around 500 or more, he could go with a P4 system (Most likely 2.4C). If he wants a true overclocker though, these 2.4C's are "da bomb", alotta them get 3.0 ghz + stable. Plus with the lower VCore requirements ( i think?) they run a little cooler than AMD's(from what i know, i could be wrong)
IMO unless you NEED a top of the line system, don't bother spending too much on a system... :)

:: No mater what you do get, no matter what you spend, god knows in a yeat it will be considered practically obsolete anyway! ;)

:::: It's too hard to keep up with technology these days... It seems like when you think you've upgraded to the biggest and best, the next best thing always comes out withing the week! :angry:

Edited by all4sma

IMO unless you NEED a top of the line system, don't bother spending too much on a system... :)

:: No mater what you do get, no matter what you spend, god knows in a yeat it will be considered practically obsolete anyway! ;)

:::: It's too hard to keep up with technology these days... It seems like when you think you've upgraded to the biggest and best, the next best thing always comes out withing the week! :angry:

i hear ya.... everything turns obsolete within 8 months.... lol

well 2.4c overclocking is helpful with keeping up with the times...... While getting an older cheaper CPU is usable, and is very near obsolete.... 2.4 keeps up with the times. 2.4 is gettin a little old? Ah yes go to 2.8.... need faster? lets go 3.0.... Of course the 2.4 is only 170 bux or so now... and at stock speeds, it'll do everything you need it to do. 800 mhz fsb and hyperthreading go a long ways :mrgreen: But again, i do agree, if you want to go cheaper, you can still get a very worthy processor in the Barton 2500 and its only 90 bux. Coupled with a 70 dollar board and some 100 dollar ram, thats a 260 dollar upgrade. Not bad eh? All a matter of choice, money and availability

i problee stick with the amd and the cpu till i get a litte more money. and when i get it all together i will let everyone know how it goes:)

Stick with the Duron, and mobo I suggested?

:: I'm getting pretty tired, so excuse my question if it sounds dumb. :)

:snooze:

If so, all sounds good to me. :) Enjoy your new (upcoming) system!

Good Luck!

:worship: :all4sma :

yep im sticking with the duron and mobo that you suggested :) thanks for help :)

Cool, dude... Sounds good... Don't forget the cooling for the Duron Processor. :)

:: Remember, it's socket A/470. :)

Good Luck!