Change Mode

Definitive Guide To Oc'ing For Newbies

Hey MrClean, I think the nVidia cards are a touch easier to deal with as far as installing drivers and overclocking and tweaking. Just the nature of the two cards. ATI tool is what I use too.

Congrats on getting your first score for the challenge posted. Good Luck! :)

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This didn't help me very much. This guide seems to tell you what to do, but not how to do it. In the begining it says to change the FSB, multipliers settings and voltage. It doesn't say how to, it just says to do it. The rest of the thread wanders off talking about what hardware is best for overclocking.

The only overclocking I've done is merely a few settings that were easily changed through my BIOS when I started my computer up (it only added about 140mhz to my processor speed). Everything else I am clueless on. You should consider revising this thread :(

This didn't help me very much. This guide seems to tell you what to do, but not how to do it. In the begining it says to change the FSB, multipliers settings and voltage. It doesn't say how to, it just says to do it. The rest of the thread wanders off talking about what hardware is best for overclocking.

The only overclocking I've done is merely a few settings that were easily changed through my BIOS when I started my computer up (it only added about 140mhz to my processor speed). Everything else I am clueless on. You should consider revising this thread :(

its meant to spark an idea because not all systems are the same.

example i have a pentium system and if i want to overclock the cpu i would haveto increase the fsb in incriments to find its sweet spot :mrgreen:

in other words get the most out of it, and it being stable with reasonable temps.

raising the vcore helps for a higher fsb, meaning the cpu draws more power and if there isnt enough the system will become unstable, adding more vcore will allow you to achieve a higher fsb, but remember that vcore jumps will also jump up the temps, so always eyeball the temps as heat is your enemy.

im not to sure about the functions of amd bios

:whistling:

i like the guide the more i read different guides the more familiar its becoming...whats a real drag is the terminology. my asus a8v-e delux has ltd up/down bus widh and freq. the list goes on with vlink peg data pe0 pe3....ect the book that comes with it gives a list of the different adj and the value you can choose with the odd one that has vauge hits as to what it is. the more things i take off auto the more choice i get ...and the company web site is little help, never tried a direct email query .....i guess the best thing would be to learn how to search effectively....i would really like to know if these extra options contribute to ocing before i spend whole bunch of time researching instead of burning up chips...lol

Well of course the more of them you understand, the better you will be able to overclock. The options available vary with the motherboard and even bios used on the motherboard. From an over slimplified point of view the important ones would be FSB/HT/Vcore/mem voltage or VDDR/.........Memory settings will be for Htt/Bus speed/Default mem. speed or dividers ie 200//166/133 or 100%/80%/etc. Recent settings of 1tor2t. The first 4 memory timings are usually the easier ones to fool with. In most bios they will be listed top to bottom

something like 2-2-2-5 or even 2.5-4-8-3-10. What settings do well will depend on the memory used. FSB settings. Voltage, motherboard, on and on. Please don't take this as a guide, as if you could, it's only an over view.

• 5 months later...

I've got the ASUS P5AD2-E Deluxe MoBo and I've just started getting into overclocking. It has several different ways to overclock. Auto, Standard, Overclocking profile (graduates by 5%, 10%, 15%, ect), AI N.O.S. and Manual.

I started by just using the "Overclocking profile" and going up each percentage until it wouldn't take anymore. (that happened at 20%) I've just started with the "Manual". Just doing the FSB at 230 mhz and BUS speed at 931. The Memory at 613. (actual freq is 307 since they are duel channel)

Anyway I guess I'm saying if you're just starting out and don't feel ready to go "completely manual" with overclocking this is a good MoBo to learn on with all the different options. It even has a Windows interface to do it all from within Windows.

Oh. I'm running a P4 3.4 HT and I'm told they aren't the best of the Intel chips for overclocking.

Last PC Pitstop test data.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=FEVV0WT18NCSWMJR

Edited by tarawa

Good idea. It takes a lot of reading and trial and error. Even for the experienced overclockers. I think one of the things I always misunderstood is that the best overclockers might spend 3 days or better just working on memory timings for one set of hardware. If they switch memory that whole process has to be repeated. You can get more inutitive but trial and error is the way to succeed.

Good idea. It takes a lot of reading and trial and error. Even for the experienced overclockers. I think one of the things I always misunderstood is that the best overclockers might spend 3 days or better just working on memory timings for one set of hardware. If they switch memory that whole process has to be repeated. You can get more inutitive but trial and error is the way to succeed.

well said :mrgreen: , kidding.

AND DO WHATEVER SHOGAN SAYS, HE IS THE FUTURE OF COMPUTERS, AS HE KNOWS ALMOST EVERYTHING IN THE PAST AND CURRENT :lol:

Hey shogan, kidding man. Yeah I have been learning well too, thanks to this guide, other guides as well, and not to mention help from other pc pitstop members.

I am still a beginner, but learning steadily, and understanding different things, one thing I would say is shogan man, only one things I don't get, why do you have to adjust memory timings, and stuff to do with memory, why do you have to spend freaking $200 Canadian dollars (my currency lol) to get better memory to increase the score ??? why why why ???? :P

Thanks all, shogan ur an inspirational Overclocking GOD

• 1 month later...

this is a nice guide, but it seems like its time to update it.

This is mostly for AMD Athlon XP processor, we need something for Athlon 64 (its basically the same things, just a little different). Also to put new mobo names now, something that works with A64 like asus a8n, dfi lanparty's, gigabyte GA-k8n, something like that. Also a good time to put memory modules, like corsair twin-mos, mushkin black series, and redline's, OCZ.

I'm just suggesting something, hope you don't get me wrong.

Thanks, but its a good guide though, I learned it too. :P:adios:

• 2 months later...

this is a nice guide, but it seems like its time to update it.

This is mostly for AMD Athlon XP processor, we need something for Athlon 64 (its basically the same things, just a little different). Also to put new mobo names now, something that works with A64 like asus a8n, dfi lanparty's, gigabyte GA-k8n, something like that. Also a good time to put memory modules, like corsair twin-mos, mushkin black series, and redline's, OCZ.

I'm just suggesting something, hope you don't get me wrong.

Thanks, but its a good guide though, I learned it too. :P:adios:

you are quite right, it is time for a major update....... though I lack the newer stuff to make any of my own suggestions on parts. stuck using my laptop right now....need to reebuild my xp2500 system, the KD7-Raid mobo blew the southbridge and voltage controller and would no longer POST. oh well, found me a LanParty Pro Ultra400B (Rev. A) for $60 with everything except the PC-Transpo and the 2 SATA data cables....just need to put it all together this weekend.

• 1 month later...

I am going to do my best to update this list but I will need help. I currently lack the $$ to go and test ALL the newest hardware, so if you guys could pm me or post here, I will update the list every friday (my day off from work).

thanks in advance guys,

wizardx2

Hi Wiz,

Where have ya been?

workin off a major mistake involving gateway and MBNA......that and a car wreck :P

as of Nov. 1st, I will be debt free and should be able to start funding a new rig.

I tell ya, paying off that debt so fast ($8,000 in 2 years) really made it seem like i was working for free....but the result is far better than the alternatives.

Edited by wizardx2

workin off a major mistake involving gateway and MBNA......that and a car wreck :P

as of Nov. 1st, I will be debt free and should be able to start funding a new rig.

I tell ya, paying off that debt so fast ($8,000 in 2 years) really made it seem like i was working for free....but the result is far better than the alternatives.

Well, good to see ya back and I look forward to your new rig.

By the way, have you visited Ray's forum called the Raptor Pit? (Ray=Raymo)

Here is the URL: http://www.theraptorpit.com/forum/index.php?act=idx=

X_C

Edited by X_C

Well, good to see ya back and I look forward to your new rig.

By the way, have you visited Ray's forum called the Raptor Pit? (Ray=Raymo)

Here is the URL: http://www.theraptorpit.com/forum/index.php?act=idx=

X_C

not since the original one he set up for the first pit top dawg challenge in 2004(?)......but i will make sure to get there again soon.

• 6 months later...

Is there a way to overclock a pc that's not a mutt? I'd like to build my own pc but I haven't the patience or the $$$, but I have a compaq presario SR1710NX I would really like to try and overclock it pass the 1989GHz mark if possible... Here are my computer specs. Please someone respond... By the way I didn't mean anything by the "mutt" remark, it's what I call a few of the pc's that I've pasted together over the years. I've seen some of the pc's pics on the forum and they look outstanding I would love to build my own some day soon..... (and will)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i do think it's time to write a new walkthrough.

939 and AM2 came out and overclocking got freaking mathmatical on me, LOL. very confusing to figure out from scratch.

I agree a 100% a updated step by step is due.
  • 1 year later...