Definitive Guide To Oc'ing For Newbies

wizardx2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

i'm somewhat new to the OC idea. what really gets me is figuring out the timings and what different timings will do to it and your system. there's a BUNCH of different combos you can have, and then u can even increase the vdimm. maybe someone can point me off to an article or sumtin?

wdeyed.....you have the nf7-s? HERE is a great site for info on that board! check out the overclocking section there, it should cover all you need to know. i found that site very helpful when i got my first nf7-s. the guy who runs the site is a moderator at the abit forums.....which is another good place for info on that board!

..... stupid me forgot to bacj up ie favorites on last install, lmao

lol...i do that every time!

btw....i saw your other post about setting up raid....yes, you can set it up as ntfs (i did). it will not score half as high as the promise cards with fat32 installed, but it is plenty fast enough for me!

on that nf7 extreme site he gives a pretty good explanation on installing raid using the nf7's onboard sata. if you follow his sata/raid guide carefully, setup should be a breeze. i am using 2 WD 80gb sata drives, and i used my old maxtor ata 80gb to format the new drives (after first setting up the raid0 array in the raid configuration bios)....like they suggest in that guide. 1 am using a 32k stripe/ 32k cluster and it seems pretty fast to me.

setting up raid seemed really confusing at first, but that guide made it a lot easier. and after doing it a couple of times now.... its getting pretty simple!

HERE is my latest test for the pit challenge. best i can get (so far) is a 12 on the I/O score. these guys with the promise cards are scoring close to 30!!! :angry:

so yuo can put windows on the raid and have it be fine?

yes, of course you can! ...i did not use the pits sata guide, instead i used the guide at the nf7 extreme site. windows works very well like this.

no i would not say 50%!!!

the guys who are scoring that high are probably using raptors and promise cards! i don't think the difference is very much when comparing just ntfs vs. fat32 with the onboard sata controller.

well another reason they're scoring that high is they are running P4's and athlon64's! .....i don't think you could come close to those numbers using these nf7's!!

if you switched over to the onboard sata, you could probably double your I/O score (or more) w/ntfs.....and a little higher with fat32! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

Well,you have asked for feed back on this subject so here I go,hope I don't upset anyone.

As a Newbie who would like to overclock his computer I think you need to give step by step instructions,such as how to find the area in the computer where you carryout these adjustments.I think a lot of newbies like me don't really know computers and a lot of phrases tossed around are double dutch to us.

I for one would appreciate instructions I could follow without any fear of causing trouble.

One last thing for now,you must remember,a lot of us come to computers late in life and it is sometimes hard to pickup.

Regards,

Willy :help: :help: :help:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think an avg. would help us under stand just how far or what not to never try like extrnal clock speed and what we should do to see if the new setting are or are not stable. I think it would be very bad for Jr. to try this on mom and dad's computer while there out (exp) the computers not working any more jr why? answer I was at pcpitstop and tryed to over clock it. a little more warning about the settings and what not to do. and what can happen. like no one wants a key chain processer like one of you guys said. and bios flashes can get pretty confusing and dos for a noob. you guys have helped me out through 98se and now xp pro and I must say pointed me to the best things I can do for my pc. and I really thank all of you for your help. If There is problem with a freinds pc I will all ways point them here.

Pcworld list this site in the top 50 ever time they put it out you guys Rock :rocks: Thanks for help were others fall way short.

Hi All,

Well,you have asked for feed back on this subject so here I go,hope I don't upset anyone.

As a Newbie who would like to overclock his computer I think you need to give step by step instructions,such as how to find the area in the computer where you carryout these adjustments.I think a lot of newbies like me don't really know computers and a lot of phrases tossed around are double dutch to us.

I for one would appreciate instructions I could follow without any fear of causing trouble.

One last thing for now,you must remember,a lot of us come to computers late in life and it is sometimes hard to pickup.

Regards,

Willy :help: :help: :help:

Hi Willy

These instructions are generic in nature due to the amount of different set ups...

there is no perfectly SAFE way to OC your PC, so doing so, is at your own risk.

These are basic guidelines as to what to tweek and how much... if you have a specific question, please list your system specs, Mobo & BIOS Type , CPU type & Speed, MEM & Speed Rating, ect.... and a Pittest result for more info ;)

we will be glad to help B)

The very first post in this thread contains a list of top recommended o/c hardware. Would it be possible to have another updated hardware list please? The hardware opinions are very valuable as are recommended brand names. And thanks to everyone who has contributed information to this thread. :)

• 1 month later...

Well I posted my first score in the "Top Dawg" challenge with just a 10% overclock (K8NE deluxe MoBo). I am going to see what I can get by doing it manually. I recently installed a Radeon 9800XT vid card (removed a nVidia 5700), and am finding that I had an easier time with the "tweak" utilities for nVidia than I am with the ATI. Any suggestions? I have the ATI tray tool, but find it kind of imposing, as well as either more confusing/complicated, or too many options.

:blink: