Change Mode

How Do I Make It Faster?

OK, i have comcast cable high speed internet and here are my resultes...

Text Block Size 500 KB

Download Time 2594 ms

Receive Buffer 32120 bytes

Transmission Speed 1542 Kb/s

first of all how do i ge rid of all the old tweaks i have done is there a default thing on my pc.... after that what could i do ????

ps. how do i make all my settings default with no tweaks at all i want to start clean.

I have Comcast too (Maryland) and those numbers look pretty typical. I would think your speed was plenty fast with those numbers. Is there something you are doing where you're seeing bad speed? If so, I think it's probably the site or some other Internet bottleneck rather than a Comcast problem.

You may want to go over to dslreports.com (they do cable too) and compare your numbers to others in the same zip code. They have a pretty good setup.

1500 kb/sec is probably your rated download speed. Your modem generally will not allow you to go faster. If you want to get the most out of your connection, go to www.speedguide.net and run the TCP/IP optimizer in the middle of the page. It was written with cable modems in mind and works very well.

lillbill, there aren't any LEGIT changes you can make to your cable modem to make it faster. There is some software floating around the Internet to "uncap" the speeds, but people have been disconnected by their cable companies for doing that. Try explaining that to your folks. :( If you have made some changes I would try unplugging the modem and it should reinitialize using the config data that comes from the cable company.

The speedguide.net site has some changes you can make to your registry, but I don't know if they have any utility to set it all back to defaults again.

Guest twodogs

:woot: new to this forum but i found speedguide.net had some great tweaks. just pick out the ones you need and install or do them yourself.

my downloads avg:1900 to 2300 up's still at 60 but for satelitte it's pretty good

lillbill, there aren't any LEGIT changes you can make to your cable modem to make it faster. There is some software floating around the Internet to "uncap" the speeds, but people have been disconnected by their cable companies for doing that. Try explaining that to your folks.  :(  If you have made some changes I would try unplugging the modem and it should reinitialize using the config data that comes from the cable company.

The speedguide.net site has some changes you can make to your registry, but I don't know if they have any utility to set it all back to defaults again.

hehe, i tried to do that with Derengel's help. :)

didnt work, of course.

cause i chickened out :P

Edited by sk8bloke87

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RacerJim

With some research, I tweaked my settings and got my cable speeds to 2189kbps down and 517kbps up. I think I have the best compromise between upload/download speeds. I used to have around 5500kbps down, but my upload was a weak 80kbps. In everyday use, upload is what matters for me. Feels quicker and faster than any of my friends' DSL lines :woot: and has a GREAT ping on CS (in the 30-40 range)

Jim

:edit: now I'm up to a 647kbps upload!!! :rocks::cheers:

Edited by RacerJim