Sign in to follow this  
treeh0rn

Diskeeper Lite

I have an 80Gb HD with XP. I have recently installed new RAM (from 256Mb to 768Mb). I have just noticed that when I run Diskeeper Lite, there remain some stubborn files that just won't defragment, no matter how often I run defrag. For those familiar with the program I include the exact message below:

Diskeeper has completed a defragmentation run on this volume and there remain 3 fragmented files and/or directories and 113 excess fragments. (There were 113 excess fragments before the defragmentation run, and now there are 0% more.)

The average number of fragments per file is 1.00.

On average, you have 0% excess fragments per file on this volume. This is a slightly fragmented volume. You should schedule Diskeeper to run at least once a day (if you haven't already done so) to keep fragmentation at a low level.

My questions are:

(1) has this anything to do with my extra RAM

(2) why won't these excess fragments defrag?

On average, you have 0% excess fragments per file on this volume. This is a slightly fragmented volume. You should schedule Diskeeper to run at least once a day (if you haven't already done so) to keep fragmentation at a low level.

for those who ask how often you should defrag. ;) You can also defrag while doing other apps with diskeeper.

don't know what to tell you except try another defragger. Do you delete your temp files before defragging?...do you have any downloads that haven't finished?

Edited by x5dr

You will never defrag your files 100%. If you did, the computer wouldn't run.

Kinda like clearing your office desk, turning off the lights, taking off your close and going home naked. The next day when you try to go to work (if you don't get arrested on the way home :P ), you find you have no keys, you filed them away and locked the door. :mrgreen:

EDIT:

Btw. If you use the system defragger it will generally leave between 10-15% defragmented files.

Edited by wkavery

Okay, just emptied all Temp files and ran Diskeeper Lite again (NB no files were being downloaded before, during or after I ran it). It comes up with the same result (113 excess fragments). Hmmmm.... may be I damaged the HD when I opened it earlier, to install my new RAM? I will try another defragmenter program x5dr. Yes, wkavery, maybe you're right! When I used to run it, there were always a few fragments hanging around, but never the amount there is now. May be I'll try running home from the office tomorrow!

(Can anyone recommend a good defrag program they've used?)

:erm:

Okay, just emptied all Temp files and ran Diskeeper Lite again (NB no files were being downloaded before, during or after I ran it). It comes up with the same result (113 excess fragments). Hmmmm.... may be I damaged the HD when I opened it earlier, to install my new RAM? I will try another defragmenter program x5dr. Yes, wkavery, maybe you're right! When I used to run it, there were always a few fragments hanging around, but never the amount there is now. May be I'll try running home from the office tomorrow!

(Can anyone recommend a good defrag program they've used?)

:erm:

http://www.vopt.com/VoptXP.htm

IMHO, this one is the best. I used to use Diskeeper and don't anymore. I and many others here have found this to be a superior product for many reasons. I think if you run this, then run a PIT test, you will see why.

Edited by wkavery

you might want to try diskeeper one more time if you didn't close out all programs first...if they are running in the background you might not defrag some info. It tells you what files don't defrag. Mine is usually something to do with a Zonealarm log.

I tried vopt and it took me abut 3 hours and didn't find any fragmented files...a lot of people like it though.

Edited by x5dr

Okay, all messages received and will be acted on. I will update when I have closed all other programs and tried Vopt. Thanks

IMHO, this one is the best. I used to use Diskeeper and don't anymore. I and many others here have found this to be a superior product for many reasons. I think if you run this, then run a PIT test, you will see why.

Can that defragger work on win 98se ok ????

Can that defragger work on win 98se ok ????

http://www.vopt.com/VoptXP.htm

HMMMMMMMMMM!,

Says it does. Click on the link and have a look. Try running a Pit test before you run it. Note your cached & uncached speeds, then run the defrag & check those speeds again. If yer not impressed, uninstall it. It's easy as that.

I will tell you this, Voptxp is not as fast as Diskeeper. It organizes your files differently than Diskeeper so the first time you run it, it will take a while. From there on out, it will go faster but not as fast as Diskeeper (probably 25% longer)

Edited by wkavery

Does any one know where i can get the 7.21 version ?????? of Vopt xp the one you download is now the 7.22.

Thanks

Ps Dont ask why !!!! ;)

You're not wrong wk. I tried out that Vopt defrag tool from Golden Bow. It left the others for dead. I got rid of a red flag that had been hanging around for weeks.

You're not wrong wk. I tried out that Vopt defrag tool from Golden Bow. It left the others for dead. I got rid of a red flag that had been hanging around for weeks.

:beer: :beer:

treeh0rn, Have you downloaded any music?If so maybe some of the files are incomplete. :nospys::P

I hope that Voptxp didn't blow up his computer and burn down his house. Wonder if I should post my phone # :P

I hate when they don't get back here and say it worked, it didn't work, it blew up my machine, go to he!! or somthin'

Not lookin for pats on the back, would just like to know if we helped or if the cops are gonna come knockin on the door. :woot:

I agree wkavery,but he/she,may still return.Happy Thankgiving. :nospys::P

Yep! Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone here on the PIT :beer:

happy turkey day as well.

PS for 98SE defrag it from safe mode (no files are in use) it will defrag the swap file conpletely (PS its slow, but if a fixed size swap is used, it can't fragment in nirmal mode 'cause windows wont resize it & nothing else can cause it to fragment.) PS it will run faster. Also note 98 fragments some files to make it run faster (less wear & tear on the drive as well.

Yes i'm still alive. Haven't got round to downloading Vopt yet... Had a small matter of going to sleep you see... lol .. I think we're about 8-10 hours ahead of you guys here in the UK. Call me a cheap-skate, but are there any free defraggers out there? (please no accusations of being tight.... ) :P

I hate when they don't get back here and say it worked, it didn't work, it blew up my machine, go to he!! or somthin'

Not lookin for pats on the back, would just like to know if we helped or if the cops are gonna come knockin on the door.

I agree totally.

Wizzkid

alright thank you :)

DOH! i just tryed it... all it does is makes my screen flicker then just boot's in normal ;)

Edited by Private Ryan