Sign in to follow this  
Jander

I Think I Have A Wierd Virus Or Spyware

I seem to have an odd virus. I just formatted my hd a few weeks ago and everything was fine. Well, a relative's hd was not letting me format it, so I thought I would hook it up to my pc and force it-thinking that viri cannot jump hds. Well, it did. Now, my pc is constantly freezing. No matter what application I use, it will let me get in for a few minutes, then says the app had a problem. Sometimes the cd drive won't open-just a bunch of wierd things like that. I tried formatting it again...it said my restore disks had errors (when they worked just fine two weeks ago). Any ideas? Thanks

If you had a virus you might want to do a Low Level Format before reinstalling windows. It writes 0's so all files are deleted and the HD is set to way it came from the factory. You need to check your hard drive website for the utility.

I tried both the PC Pitstop virus scanner and the one you suggested Volt. The pitstop scanner didn't find anything, and the one you suggested wouldn't load. This is driving me crazy! :woot:

Jander, have you tried testing at PC Pitstop? We could tell a lot more if we could see some results.

Well how odd,,if you are running any onboard scanner,,disable it,, then try the on online below.

As to any spyware,, download and run the spybot below,,have it "fix" whatever comes up in red and is already check marked,,it may find other things that are not checked but leave those alone for now.

might hit the "online" button and check for any updates for spybot too!!

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/

http://security.kolla.de/