Change Mode

Well, I was using the computer and heard something clunking. I thought it was a bug or something. I went down by the computer since it was coming from there to see if any bug was there but there was no bug, after listening more carefully I hear it coming from inside my computer. It makes a click clunk noise every 3 seconds. I'm kinda paranoid sometimes but I'm not sure if it's normal. I goes click, two seconds later, clunk, and repeats every 5 seconds or so, sometimes it stops for a few seconds and starts again. The hard drive is sitting idle, I left the computer doing nothing and it still does it. Am I being too paranoid? :help:

Are you sure its the hard drive? Not a fan or anything?

If it is the hdd making noise, back everything up because it's about to die.

I checked the fans, the power supply fan is fine as well as the heatsink and the exhause fan. The computer has very little dust in it. The computer is room temerature inside so it's not heat related.

Ok, I opened off the side panel and I put my ear right up to the drive and that is whats making the sound. The drive is pretty quiet but the clicking and clunking are noticeable if I listen carefull enough.

Ok, I remember waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and when I passed by the computer the little hard drive light was dimly flickering every few seconds when it makes the noise. But whey would it be seaking like that 24/7? Sometimes it doesn't click and then it clicks rapidly for a few seconds. I have also noticed that the drive has gotten a lot louder since I first got the computer. The drive never use to be heard and now it is noticeable when it is seeking.

I would either back up everything you want to keep, either to cd or another hdd. That one will probably die very soon!!

Well all I know is that this thing better die before April (when one year warranty ends) :(

P.S - Sorry but as you can see in my last few posts I'm a horrible speller :mrgreen:

Oh, I also forgot, one day my AOL software got corrupted. I know AOL deserves to be corrupted, but my family likes it :mrsgreen: It said that the main file was corrupted and needed to be repaired. Plus, games stall a lot more than on my laptop. I get that error reporting thing from microsoft a lot. :erm:

Edited by amd dude

I think that you should contact HP immediately and tell them that the HD is clicking and clacking. It is obviously about to fail on you because that is what they do.

As was stated before. Do regular back-ups until you can obtain a new HD.

If it were me, I would buy another drive, identical to that one. Install it and transfer all the file. I would then send that one back to HP for a replacement and either keep that as a spare or install it as a slave. But then that's just me. :P

for #%^*! sakes DO NOT play any games, dont restart, dont do anything that requires the damn thing to spin..because it is gonna die try backing up as soon as posisble

Edited by NiTro^

I backed up the My Documents folder with all the families college documents and such. That's all that is important on the computer. There are games but they could always be reinstalled. On startup I don't get a S.M.A.R.T failure warning or anything. It is clicking but it's not loud or anything, only if I listen carefully it goes click-clunk........click-clunk............................click-clunk..click-clunk................................click clunk..............and it goes on randomly like that when the computer is idle.

I backed up the My Documents folder with all the families college documents and such. That's all that is important on the computer. There are games but they could always be reinstalled. On startup I don't get a S.M.A.R.T failure warning or anything. It is clicking but it's not loud or anything, only if I listen carefully it goes click-clunk........click-clunk............................click-clunk..click-clunk................................click clunk..............and it goes on randomly like that when the computer is idle.

is it a maxtor? if so, never get one again, i could care less if your under warranty..same thign will happen again..and the smart failure thing is a pain, set your jumpers, and disable it from your bios

The Drive is a Samsung Spinpoint which are known to be quiet and reliable. Mine has gotten louder however, it use to be quiet, almost so quiet I couldn't hear it, now it's gotten louder. Maybe it's from the 24/7 use? I don't like Maxtor's, they are noisy and I hear many people have problems with them.

Ok, I'll try that defrag program.

Post a test when yer done, will ya.. :P I'll bet it doubles yer uncahed speed and improves yer cached speed a bit. Might even keep that drive from searcin' all the time ;) .