Change Mode

if u have windows xp, all you need to do is reboot with the disc in your cd drive, and you can create partitions with the built-in partition utility. However, this method of partitioning requires a format, or an erase of the data on your hard drive, unless you have another one that is unused.

But if you only have 1 hard drive, setting aside a partition for the swap file will actually slow things a little.

Edited by sk8bloke87

ive seen some people say that its faster on its own partition. I already made the partition but cant i just switch my swap file onto it?

Not on it's own partition but physical drive you may in fact lose performance if it is on the same HD but different partition put it on an HD that just stores data

i haven't finished my website or i'd give you a link to this :) with nice screen shots and step by step instructions... but i'm working on getting it done :)

anyway... read this.

How to change paging file:

Click Start and then right click on My Computer and click properties.  System

Properties opens up and here you want to click on the advanced tab.  Just below this you will

see "Performance" and here you want to click the "Settings" button.  Once again a new window

opens with Performance Options.   Now click the "Advanced" tab at the top.  Then at the bottom,

under Virtual Memory,you need to click "Change".  Now you should see ALL physical drives and

partitions and each ofthe drives lables and the Paging File Size (MB) that is allocated to each

drive and how much.

In order to change these settings, you need to highlight the drive/partition by left clicking

on the drive/partition you wish to place the paging file on.  After doing that, put a check in

the circle beside "Custom Size".  Set the initial size and Maximum size to the desired amount.

In order for the settings to take affect, you must click "Set".  Now, if you had your paging

file set on another drive/partiton previously and wish to get rid of it, you need to left click

on the appropriate drive to highlight the drive/partition.  Once you have it highlighted, you

will now want to click "No Paging File" and once again must click the "Set" button in order for

the changes to be applied.  Now click Ok to exit out of everything and apply the changes.  You

will now be prompted to reboot your computer in order for the changes to take affect.

Performance Advantage:

Often users ask "Is it better to have the swap file (paging file) on a seperate partition?".

The answer to this question is various depending on the user and his/her setup.  Let me explain!

Your best performance gain is to put the swap file on a seperate physical drive and not just

a different partition. There are exceptions to this however which will be explained later.

First though, windows gets installed on the primary active partition which is usually c:\ and is

installed at the beginning of the disk.  This gives maximum performance and disk utilization

for windows itself to run. The swap file gets located on this primary active partition also but

comes after all windows files have are installed. This puts the swap file further away from

the beginning of the disk increasing seek time for access.

The exception to the rule I was referring to is that you would need to reformat the drive setting

up new partitions. One would need to be located at the beginning of the drive while the second

partition thereafter would be windows and so on. Let's say you were to reformat the drive while

also deleting all existing partitions and creating new ones.  You could then set the first

partition just for paging file usage.  In this case, the paging file would be at the beginning of

the drive which would decrease seek time for quicker access.  While this is very beneficial to

users with only one physical hard drive, this is still not the best option for users with two

physical hard drives or more that are of equal or faster speed and performance.  

Your maximum results (if both physical disks are exact same speed or the OTHER drive is faster)

would come by placing the swap file on a totally different physical drive right at the beginning

of the drive itself (preferably its own partition on this drive also).

Putting the paging file on the same drive your os is on now will not help you very much at

all unless you plan on repartitioning your drive. In fact, it may actually slow things down

a bit depending on how full the drive itself is and where the partition begins on the hard

drive.

Make the RESTORE disks or you could have serious problems. Once you quit playing with all the features it won't matter but when you first get that program it might be the only way to boot without a reformat.

Edited by x5dr