Windows Xp Activation

Bruce

What a joke, well actually it is very sad, and lame.

I bought a new laptop yesterday, booted for the first time and windows activated.

Well today I bought a PCMIA Network card. After I got it all installed and running, all of a sudden windows won't let me log in until I activate by calling MS to reactivate a second time, this was only a add in hotplug device for gods sake.

This was the most rediculas thing I have ever had to do concernng a PC and the addition of a very simple external device. I was sure to let them no about my displeasure of this stupidity.

20 minutes before I could use my own computer.

I'll not be activating this lame excuse for an operating system again.

After a very quick search on Google, I discovered all my hardware is compatible with RedHat Profesional Workstation, and RedHat Fedora. Needless to say tommorrow my shiny new XP Laptop will be a Shiney New Linux laptop.

I will not let anyone anywhere ever have the kind of control over MY PROPERTY as I experienced tonight!!!!

Penguins ROCK! :tux:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well.. unfortunately windows is a pain at times. that is a rare thing that happend to you, at least from what i know. i've never had any activation issues in anyway shape or form so i can't reply to the problem.

i do know that windows has it's ups and downs though but overall... it's good enough for the home user and great for gaming for people that do play games.

I feel your pain Bruce thats happened to me....and all I did was update chipset drivers... :rolleyes:

What kind of laptop did you get Bruce?

The only pain involved is that I paid for an operating system that I will not use!

Took me longer to set up the the laptop with a preinstalled OS then it will to format the drive and install RedHat.

The pain was all the bull I went through to give XP home an honest go. It had it's go, now it will go. :mrsgreen:

i must be the ONLY one here who truly loves xp and the way it works overall. i've NEVER had any serious problems that couldn't be fixed very very quickly. usually the problems i had were all caused by user error :) but the small amount of probs from xp are exremely minimal. i've had maybe 2 different erros that popped up saying error and explaining what the error was. i've never had any of those stop messages. nothing. i've never experienced the blue screen, blank screen, or black screen. nothing.

biggest prob i've ever had with xp was its services. have had to re-enable some at times for certain occasions but thats even a rarity.

i just dont understand what is so bad about xp other than it's a resource hog compared to others. it's also got built in delays on things that i don't really care for (but i edited the registry to change this). other than that... ive got no problems with it on this machine or our other xp machine (xp pro). the xp pro machine encountered a severe virus and now it cannot be networked on the home network and needs to be reinstalled... but that's not my pc and chad just really doesn't care too much at the moment.

i guess for lack of the bad experiences... i love xp and would recommend it any day.

I never even bothered with XP... Now you know why.

Well I should have just put my Redhat CD in the machine before I even booted it.

Newdles I have an XP machine, I am typing this on it right now, but it ain't the kind that needs activation. :rolleyes:

XP is fine, it's the activation of the laptop I will not tolerate. Again I say no one will ever be allowed to have that kind of control over MY PROPERTY.

XP is fine, it's the activation of the laptop I will not tolerate. Again I say no one will ever be allowed to have that kind of control over MY PROPERTY.

i understand your feelings on this entirely and i would feel the same way overall. one time activation after the os is installed.. i actually find that as a GREAT idea. any more activations after that are just rediculous and not necessary. feels like your parents checking in on you as a kid when you are in your room and grounded so that you don't sneak out :)

Newdles I have an XP machine, I am typing this on it right now, but it ain't the kind that needs activation. :rolleyes:

Just curious about this statement--don't they (XP) all have to be activiated?

When I look at Tigerdirect and other places, I see lots of computers being sold with no OS--there you go :lol: Seems to me with a bundled system, they are pretty much giving XP Home away or pretty close to free.

Just curious about this statement--don't they (XP) all have to be activiated?

When I look at Tigerdirect and other places, I see lots of computers being sold with no OS--there you go :lol: Seems to me with a bundled system, they are pretty much giving XP Home away or pretty close to free.

There are version that need not be activated. Thats all I will say on that matter. :shifty:

As for 2 K yes I have a copy, along with every single version of Windows ever sold or put out in beta.

I want Redhat I had my 3 year fling with 2K, it's a great OS. Currently testing server 2003 on another machine, it's probably the best OS Microsft has made yet. However it isn't even close to being worth the $1000 they want for it.

lastly, they don't give windows away with a new PC, trust me the OEM's pay for and pass the cost on to the user.

All you have to do to see what the added cost is, is to go to any site that sells PC's without an OS or with the OS of your choice and you will see the added cost.

That is a "hidden" cost from the manufacturers who sell at the large PC chains aka BestBuy, Circuit City, Staples.....

Any way Linux is already up and running on it. :tup:

of all the leaks and squeaks and in betweens.. i still have never been caught in the middle of any of them. never got the msblast or any other form of it. nor have i ever gotten a virus or had any other probs due to xp not being fully functional. i just need to use one of you guys' computers for a day :)

Good ole XP,,the only operating system you never own.  v

Technically, you do not own ANY software. You pay for a license to use the software, but you never own it. (Bill Gates) or any other author would never allow this. :)

Technically, you do not own ANY software. You pay for a license to use the software, but you never own it. (Bill Gates) or any other author would never allow this. :)

He sure as hell don't hound me on my 2000. :P v

If you think Winxp is bad, try Autocad software. I installed it on 3 of my comps per my lic agreement and it took 3 days or about 10hrs on the phone to get the activation codes for this, plus you are required to run C-Dilla on your computer or the software will not run. This has the benefit of not allowing anything whatsoever to be copied on your system. Go figure. :bang:

An engineering company must pay about $10,000 per computer for the better versions of autocad. Just think 10 comps $100,000 and you get a $100 Rebate for each computer. WoW. :mrwinky:

I was "hounded" through the mail. Since I own a business and coincidently

registered all my programs......MS wanted me to visit their site to verify that I was the owner of the programs :blink:

I've never used any of the programs for my business, as I know how to keep records that won't 'crash'... :lol:

Archived