Sign in to follow this  
Neo X1

Folding @ Home Tips And Tricks

Thanx, I made the change and adding yout tip... better late than never. ;)

If you are running [email protected] as a service with the 5.xx console version, here's how to add the flags for advmethods, etc.

Note to the wise. Make a mistake editing your registry and your computer may stop working. Export your registry to a floppy or something just in case.

Click START, RUN, and type in REGEDIT.

Click your way down to this entry on the left side of your screen: (Please note: C:/Program Files/Folding1 is the directory I use. Your's may be different!)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\[email protected]:+Program Files+Folding1+FAH502-Console.exe

Once there, on the right side, double click on the entry - ImagePath

At the end of the value, enter your flags. They may be different than mine, but you can check your log files to see if they worked or not.

This is what my ImagePath value is:

C:\Program Files\Folding1\FAH502-Console.exe -svcstart -advmethods -forceasm

Enter your flags AFTER the -svcstart just in case!

Edited by Norm1116

You guys are on track with the editing FAH's parameters when it's a service. In WinXP (possible Win2k also), right-click My Computer>Manage>Services and Applications>Services>FAH>Right-Click>Properties>Start Parameters

Type in your parameters there.

Note: If the service is already running, you will have to stop it before you can edit the parameters.

This method is easier and there is less chance of you guffing up your registry.

:mrgreen:

Edited by _TyIzaeL_

credits for this tutorial goes to RAH

Install SMP Client / Windows Vista

Make a new directory in your Users folder, such as C:\Users\%username%\SMP-FAH (where %username% is your user name)

Download the SMP console client into the new directory.

Double click the SMP client installer. (currently named: [email protected] Windows SMP Client.EXE)

Follow the setup prompts. Click Next.

Read the ReadMe information for crucial setup steps and requirements! Click Next.

Select the appropriate Destination Profile. All Users or Only Me. Click Next.

Click the Browse button, and navigate to the directory created above. Click Ok. Click Next.

Review the current installation settings. If correct, click Next to start copying the installation files to the directory created above. Click Finish.

Log out, and log in as Administrator.

Open My Computer or Windows Explorer, and browse to your SMP directory. C:\Users\%username%\SMP-FAH

Right click on the SMP console client executable (fah.exe) and select Properties.

Select Compatibility. Check the box that says Run this program as an administrator. Click Apply, click OK.

As instructed in the ReadMe, double click the install.bat file to complete the client installation. The install.bat file installs the SMPD service, and registers MPICH2 with your user name and password, as needed the SMP client.

When prompted, enter the Windows user account name that will be running the SMP client. Hit Return. Enter the password for that account. Hit Return. Enter the password again to confirm. Hit Return. (As you type the user name, the characters will appear on screen, but the characters for your password will not appear on screen.)

You should see two lines of output if all steps were done correctly:

If you see this twice, MPI is working

If you see this twice, MPI is working

If you do not see these lines, do not start the client. MPI is not successfully installed, and the client will not run successfully. Please review the steps above.

Log off, and log in using the Windows user account entered while answering the install.bat questions.

Browse to your folding directory. Double click fah.exe to start the client.

Answer the client setup questions as usual. Be sure to answer No to the Use IE Settings question and to the Install as a Service question. Be sure to answer Yes to the Accept WUs > 5MB question.

Done.

The SMP client can be installed in C:\Program Files\<folding directory>, but you would need to do several additional steps, such as turn off User Account Control and/or log in and run the client as the Administrator. And as seen above, this can be and should be avoided.

Edited by gagaman

Unsure if this is done already but heres how i got it to run on my computer @ 100%. One instance of [email protected] on my gaming rig only used 50%.

In the program files for [email protected], I made a CPU1 and CPU2 folder. Copied this (new beta version) fah6-win32-x86.exe in each folder and ran it. Along the line it asks you for machine ID and in the second one you say its #2. Sets it up and in the advanced settings you can put a flag in it for advanced work.

Then in FahMon, you select each of the folders as a client and wah-la you can see how far along its going.

If I'm running the GPU client on an AMD X2 based system, should I do the tip in the first post about SSE?

NO! That is very old. The new client has the optimizations built in.

We need to get some new "how to's" done for the newer clients. At this

time, I would advise getting them from the Folding Forum. :P

The parameter " -forceSSE" doesn't work in the v6.23 GUI client. What do I do?

Most of the clients now have optimizations forced on through the code. If you want to make sure, use -forceasm.

I have FAHControl. How do I pass a parameter like "-advmethods" to the client program?

Running v.7 with the SMP client? It should be using -advmethods already, but you can check or add by right clicking FAHCONTROL and selecting "Advanced Control". In the window that pops up select Configure in the top menu bar and go to the Expert tab, then in the box that says "Extra Client Options" click "ADD" and in the box that pops up submit -advmethods. Click O.K. and Save. Stop the client and restart it, then have a look at the log. Does it show -advmethods??

:geezer:

Invalid option name.

Upon setting "advmethods", the client purged the setting from the Extra Client Options. I believe that setting should be placed in Extra Core Options instead.

Edited by EclipseWebJS2

Running v.7 with the SMP client? It should be using -advmethods already, but you can check or add by right clicking FAHCONTROL and selecting "Advanced Control". In the window that pops up select Configure in the top menu bar and go to the Expert tab, then in the box that says "Extra Core Options" click "ADD" and in the box that pops up submit -advmethods. Click O.K. and Save. Stop the client and restart it, then have a look at the log. Does it show -advmethods??

:geezer:

[email protected] client is now running -advmethods:

18:52:26:WU01:FS00:Running FahCore: "C:Program Files (x86)FAHClient/FAHCoreWrapper.exe" C:/Users/HoneycombAgent/AppData/Roaming/FAHClient/cores/www.stanford.edu/~pande/Win32/AMD64/Core_a4.fah/FahCore_a4.exe -dir 01 -suffix 01 -version 703 -lifeline 4372 -checkpoint 3 -np 2 -advmethods

Make sure you're running version 7.6.13 as the work unit request retries do not exceed 1 hour buffers. On 7.6.9 it would be up to 8 hours as abuffer.