Change Mode

Folding @ Home Tips And Tricks

Optimizing your computer for folding

1. Preparing Your Computer for Folding

a.) Disable Your Screen Saver, System Standby, and Hibernation.

b.) Get rid of spyware!

c.) Destroy all Viruses

2. Optimize Graphical Client Settings

a.) Uncheck "Logos Enabled"

b.) Slide Molecule Draw rate all the way to the left

c.) Select "[email protected]" for client type.

3. Use flags to control what WUs you get

Locate your shortcut to the folding @ home program or create a new one. Right click it and press "Properties". Unde the "Shortcut" tab, find the "Target:" box. Add -advmethods -forceasm to the end of the target outside of the quotes so that it looks something similar to:

"C:\Program Files\[email protected]\winFAH.exe" -advmethods -forceasm

AMD processor users, however should not use "-forceasm" and add "forceSSE" like this:

C:\Program Files\[email protected]\winFAH.exe" -advmethods -forceSSE

The "-forceSSE" flag makes a big differance for AMD's. Watch your temps, though, it does seem to get a little warmer. Make sure the "SSE" part is capitalized.

Running two instances of [email protected] on one PC.

To run 2 copies of [email protected], you have to have 2 copies of the software in two different directories (From what I hear, do NOT try 2 copies of the GUI version. 1 Gui and 1 console, or 2 console, I've never tried 2 GUI, so I don't know). The main points to remember are to use the -local switch, so your shortcut will look like this:

"C:\Program Files\[email protected]\[email protected]" -local -advmethods -forceasm

Also required is that the machine ID MUST be different. So the first "instance" of folding must have machine ID 1 and the second ID 2.

The fastest way to do this (Correct me anyone if you know differently) is to set up folding in a directory, with all the info correct. Let it start up and then turn it off. Set up folding in a second (different) directory, start it up then shut if off.

Go to the 2nd directory and open the client.cfg file using notepad. Find the area where it says "machineid=1" and change the 1 to a 2. Save the file.

About the -verbosity flag

The -verbosity flag is useful when a finished wu is in the queu. By default, Folding tries to send this wu at some time-interval. When you put the

-verbosity flag to 9 [ -verbosity 9] [email protected] will try this more often.

Add flags to [email protected] service on the 5.xx console version.

Note to the wise. Make a mistake editing your registry and your computer may stop working. Export your registry to a floppy or something just in case.

Click START, RUN, and type in REGEDIT.

Click your way down to this entry on the left side of your screen: (Please note: C:/Program Files/Folding1 is the directory I use. Your's may be different!)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\[email protected]:+Program Files+Folding1+FAH502-Console.exe

Once there, on the right side, double click on the entry - ImagePath

At the end of the value, enter your flags. They may be different than mine, but you can check your log files to see if they worked or not.

This is what my ImagePath value is:

C:\Program Files\Folding1\FAH502-Console.exe -svcstart -advmethods -forceasm

Enter your flags AFTER the -svcstart just in case!

Running [email protected] as a service and using flags

Instructions on running [email protected] as a service are here http://folding.stanford.edu/console-userguide.html

To use flags while running it this way follow these directions....

1) Open regedit and...

2) find this registry item: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\FAH\Parameters

3) Double click where it says AppParameters REG_SZ -service

4) Change AppParameters to say:  -service -advmethods -forceasm

Note:

One comment about the fashi program to run as a service. This may have been just me and my lack of luck, but every time I set it up, it changed the client.cfg file to show a user named "0".

I would recommend having a good copy of client.cfg that can be copied into the folding directory just in case. Giving WU's to "0" is the pits.... I see there is a folder named "0" here, but it MAY be a real person or a misconfigured client.cfg file.

Note2:

when you set it up as a service you have to do one of 2 things to get the userid info right

1) have a good config file like said above.

2) stop the service, create a temp shortcut to the client with a -config flag, and enter the config info.

option 2 works if your setting it up on a pc from scratch.

I don't really know why the installer enters the info wrong, but it always does.

Use MMC to set [email protected] as a service to manual

when you set the fah up to run as a service you can then use the mmc to set the service to manual start and this gives you more control.

administrative tools\services right click on FAH and choose properties.

then the folding doesn't start as soon as you boot up and you can do mantenence work on the computer (defrag) or whatever and then start the service when you want using the same thing

Admin tools\services click on FAH and start. you can also stop it the same way if you need to.

Get Folding Running Correctly on a Multi-User PC.

Those with computers using the "fast-user switching" feature of Windows XP to keep [email protected] running 24/7 may get errors when someone else logs in. This is easily rectified by turning off fast-user switching and instead setting up [email protected] to start on log-in by placing a shortcut for it in the "startup" folder of the Start Menu.

Doing it this way causing all programs, including [email protected], to close during the logout. Then, when the other person logs in, [email protected] will start on their account.

Edited by neo x1

The -verbosity flag is usefull when a finished wu is in the queu. By default, Folding try's to send this wu at some time-interval. When you put the

-verbosity flag to 9 [ -verbosity 9] [email protected] will try this more often.

He guys, i tried...but my english :blink: ... hope this is ok... feel free to correct it

Edited by gagaman

Neo - when you set it up as a service you have to do one of 2 things to get the userid info right

1) have a good config file like you said.

2) stop the service, create a temp shortcut to the client with a -config flag, and enter the config info.

option 2 works if your setting it up on a pc from scratch.

I don't really know why the installer enters the info wrong, but it allways does.

• 3 weeks later...

The -verbosity flag is useful when a finished wu is in the queu. By default, Folding tries to send this wu at some time-interval. When you put the

-verbosity flag to 9 [ -verbosity9] [email protected] will try this more often.

Just noticed... there should be a space between -verbosity and 9 [ -verbosity 9]

the copy/pasters can get it wrong otherwise ;)

Edited by gagaman

Thanks guys, I have two [email protected] working on my P4 with HT but I noticed that it's running a little warm with the two. At 3400Mhz (Overclocked) I am at 44C, quite a bit high than before, it was at 31C. I'll keep an eye on it and see.

Thx.

X_C

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey, your sticky made me folding very efficient... :tup:

Its just that EOC is more uptodate and contains more info...

In fact, I think a new folder is helped more by your info than with the overflow at EOC... ;)

:cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I can't really complain, it was a group effort to get the info, I just put it together and gave it perty colors. :mrgreen: I'm down for anything that helps more folding members. :tup:

• 1 month later...

how do i know that these tricks won't mess things up? how do i know they won't send messed up data to stanford's servers?

Because we all use them.

i mean, were they approved by stanford?

For the most part, yes. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Running [email protected] as a service and using flags

neo this link, under this heading, no longer works, and when you search the shroomery site eventually you just get a link to the folding site

http://folding.stanford.edu/console-userguide.html

It might be better to link directly to there.

My favourite tip would be that when you set the fah up to run as a service you can then use the mmc to set the service to manual start and this gives you more control.

administrative tools\services right click on FAH and choose properties.

then the folding doesn't start as soon as you boot up and you can do mantenence work on the computer (defrag) or whatever and then start the service when you want using the same thing

Admin tools\services click on FAH and start. you can also stop it the same way if you need to.

:cheers: