Change Mode

I Cannot See The Thumbnails

I was previously having thumbnail view enabled in the computer . i mean i can have the thumbnail view and see the thumbnail of pictures. now recently i dont have that option. when i checked in the net somewhere i saw that the thumbs.db file helps in that viewing of thumbnail. so i also copied that file from another folder because i deleted that file. now i recently installed acd mpower tools software. this software will make the view of images and videos on rightclicking on them. so when i installed that software i got the thumbnail view. now i uninstalled that software and the view is gone again . what shall i do.

Try... Start/my computer/my pictures/view/put a mark next to thumbnail.

I'm not sure if this is what your asking about or not but you might also tell us your operating system and if it is the pics in that area that your asking about. If not this will serve as a bump.. :)

this is from XP's Help (where I usually find all my answers if not from google. :P )

To change how you view items in a folder

Open My Documents.

If the folder you want is not located in My Documents or its subfolders, use Search to find it. To open Search, click Start, and then click Search.

Double-click the folder that contains the files you want to view.

On the View menu, click Filmstrip, Thumbnails, Tiles, Icons, List or Details.

Notes

To open My Documents, click Start, and then click My Documents.

To sort items by categories such as date, name, size, and type, on the View menu, point to Arrange Icons by, and then click the appropriate command.

In Details view, you can choose the file information you want to display. On the View menu, click Choose Details. Use the Choose Details dialog box to select and organize the information that is displayed.

Ok...just tried those instructions...You need to go to VIEW and change each folder to Thumbnail which works better...I don't like the thumbnail view on anything but pics. Also, I had a ton of pics in one folder and it took a few seconds to open. I organized them in different folders and it solved the problem.

Edited by x5dr

You changed it at the top where it says FILE/edit/view/tools/favorites?....hmmm..just to see if it makes a difference, open My computer and change it, then open the drive and change it, then open the folder and change, then the file folder and change.

Found this...go to Tools/Folder Options/View...Remember each folder's VIEW settings

Edited by x5dr

Oh. i dont get what are u thinking. I can see the thumbnail view everywhere,

But if i see in the thumbnail view i must get the preview of picture in the thumbnail , right,

But i only get the default icon in big size, but no preview of the picture in that view. i wanted to know how to get the picture in the thumbnail.

slowly run your mouse over the big boxes to refresh them (or right click and hit refresh)...I thought you were just getting tiles.

now i uninstalled that software and the view is gone again

If you haven't done too many changes, try System Restore to a point before it was first installed.

Edited by x5dr

yes shogan I AM putting a dot near the thumbnail.

and x5dr i have 512 mb ram. so it did not take more time for giving thumbnail view of pictures previously when it was perfect in my computer. now i try it in every folder , and even in folders with less pictures. so i am unable to get them.

strangely, such stupid things happen to me more often than my friends. Is there a way out or i need to format and reinstall.

try system restore if possible....if that doesn't work, reinstall the program. If that fixes it, try deleting again in Add/Remove programs.

Nothing happened when you hit REFRESH in the folder?....that is a Photoshop tip.

Actually i was not getting thumbnail view previously when the software was not present. i installed the software and got used to the view . now the softwares trial is expired and i did not like that software also. it slowed my system. when ever i try to right click on any video file it would take time and give the video in a small box in the right click options. this is same with audio files and pictures. everything is shown and done in the small window. so i uninstalled the software.

but the software gave me a habit to look at thumbnails fast and search the photos fast. so i am desperate

I was previously having thumbnail view enabled in the computer . i mean i can have the thumbnail view and see the thumbnail of pictures. now recently i dont have that option. when i checked in the net somewhere i saw that the thumbs.db file helps in that viewing of thumbnail. so i also copied that file from another folder because i deleted that file. now i recently installed acd mpower tools software. this software will make the view of images and videos on rightclicking on them. so when i installed that software i got the thumbnail view. now i uninstalled that software and the view is gone again . what shall i do.

What your talking about is supported by the windows picture and fax viewer and it sounds like you may have accidently removed more than one file

try putting your xp cd in and in the run box type sfc /scannow if you have removed any system files that should put them back

I see you have xp you could also try system restore go back before you deleted that file

As a last effort you could always try a restore with your xp cd

Make sure your cd is the first to boot up put xp cd in reboot after the cd boots chose fresh install (not repair) after windows does it's thing then choose repair follow the instructions

there is a third party program called allview do a google :)

Hey i installed the program again and the pictures were seen again in the thumbnail view . and when i uninstall again i get back to the same state. what i noticed was that , when i installed the software there was a flash at the end of installation. (Flash means: when we press refresh it refreshes with a little jerk , like that) then i get the view of thumbnail. and when i uninstall again i get the jerk . and everything is normal, i mean bad to me, and the view is gone agian.

if you are wanting to know whether a particular program is missing files such as dll's, ocx's and such, try downloading Dependency Walker from Camtech....and your av program can check every file in your puter....maybe you have a virus??

and x5dr i have 512 mb ram. so it did not take more time for giving thumbnail view of pictures previously when it was perfect in my computer.

Actually i was not getting thumbnail view previously when the software was not present. i installed the software and got used to the view . now the softwares trial is expired and i did not like that software also. it slowed my system.

I'm confused :blink:

well...yea...opening up a bunch of thumbnails takes longer than tiles.

I'm confused :blink:

well...yea...opening up a bunch of thumbnails takes longer than tiles.

That makes two of us now

grandhihemanth lets see if I got this right you installed some software that changed the way you could previewe pictures decided that you did not like it and removed it I will assume you removed it with either the sofwares own removal tool or in the add remove control panel and di not just delete the softwares folder.

After doing so you found other files missing and want to put them back?

If you only had this problem after using and removing this other software I think that firekracker may have a point it may be a virus

oh no. now all of you are confused. am i telling wrong. or my english might be bad.

leave that post which confused you. and remember what previous posts have said.

i cannot see the preview of pictures in the thumbnail view. i see only the icon in the thumbnail view also. before installing the software i had this problem, after installing the software the problem was gone. and after uninstalling the software the problem has come again. and now i want to have the thumbnail view without the software.

the thumbnail view is one of the options of the windows and it is not the function of any software.

i think your predicament is understood....the general thought is that perhaps something was uninstalled along with the software...perhaps a shared file.

what i don't understand is why you were able to see the pics in thumbnail view with the program installed....what program was it?

a couple of questions

1. are you able to view the pictures in filmstrip mode?

2. have you run a virus scan yet?

and a request....pleez post test results. perhaps that might provide some clues :)

what i don't understand is why you were able to see the pics in thumbnail view with the program installed....what program was it?

that is not a softwares help but some file in it helped me i think. there might be a file installed with the software that i might have lost at some time which helps me to view the thumbnails. and the software is acd m power tools.

hi ~

well, i did a search for the program and came up with this site, but it didn't translate. though it seems to a photoshop type program of some sort.

http://www.grafika.cz/art/sw/acdmpower.html?pos=1

there might be a file installed with the software that i might have lost at some time which helps me to view the thumbnails

if you uninstalled the program, whatever files were installed with it are gone.....if you have lost a windows file(s) - then you can do a repair to windows. there is also a fix you can do using a Command typed in the Run box - - sfc /scannow - - but it seems you've already tried that

even so, i do not know if you have done a scan for viruses or able to see to view the pics at all. at this point, i honestly don't know what else to suggest....except to again ask you to post test results.....