Change Mode

Dsl Worth It?

Guest AkwardPhobia

Guest AkwardPhobia

Hello, I have Adelphia Powerlink and its horrible. I want to get DSL but they told me the Max speed I can get is 384k because I am 14000 feet away from CO and max is 15000.

I am online gamer and was told 384 might not handle Online gaming (Counter-Strike and Unreal Tournament). I dont know if I should get DSL or not. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading

Hi This is a little off base to yur question :mrwinky: But I'll ask anyway

Are you able to get digital cable tv?

If your unsure you can tell by looking out side at your phone lines look (not your drop which goes to your house) near the pole, it should be the second or third line up fiber optics is marked by a orange plastic band, if you can get cable tv you possibly can get a cable modem. You need to be near a node follow the same line and you should see a flat box about the size of a lunch box only flat could be a litle bigger but wont be any smaller. The closer you are to that box the better the signal strength will be

Used to be apole climber :P

Edited by Silly'ol Bear

Guest AkwardPhobia

I used to have cable tv but then I got Direct TV and no longer have Cable tv. I have a cable modem and I lag very much so I want to get DSL. But I dont know if getting a max of 384 can handle my online gaming. :)

Guest AkwardPhobia

I have tried many many Tweaks, and that really isnt the problem, I think I live too far from the ISP. Thank you for your post Bear. I didnt understand everything you said but some of it :)

I think he already has cable   :blushing:

The first post does not mention cable

but a further post said he used to have it and did notcare for it :)

Just for general info:

Cable is a single strand copper wire very limited on how much data it can transfer.

The signal breaks down rather quickly for several reasons bad conections bad splice to many conections etc etc

Fiber on the other hand has no breaks from node to node You wont ever see a drop comming from a fiber line to your home at least not the same way you see it done with cable.

With cable you see a spliter very much like what you can by at radio shack or any other electronic supply store with an in and outs near it you will see a rather large box on the line or maybe several in a row those are the amplifiers.

On fiber You wont see any of that except for the spliter follow the in side of the spliter box back that will take you to the node in side the node is where the amplifier is there are far few amps on fiber because it is a much more secure system there is almost no signal loss on fiber because of the way it is done.

At each node there is a splice point normaly indicated by a large sock someone has spliced each fiber one at a time then shot a signal back down the line for each splice then again when every fiber has been spliced.

This can take a few hours for a small fiber count from 4-12 to several days for a large fiber count of 100 or more the biggest i have ever heard of is 240 which is located in what industry people call the fiber hub which runs more or less in a big circle around the middle of the usa and into canada

Also with a dsl conection you must have a phone line and it must be fairly clean. or it does not work correctly if your considering dsl ask the phone company to hot shoot your line from the node to your house. You can get them to do this by telling them you are hearing a lot of static on your line

sk how much line noise registored if it was a lot don't bother with dsl.

ok enough rambling :P

Edited by Silly'ol Bear

Guest AkwardPhobia

Well, I checked my neighbors DSL speed. He had 300kb/sec, and if I heard correctly all I need is 128. I didnt check the upload cause I forgot. I watched him play some CS, he had a cheap comp and he suxored but I didnt see any lag. SO im happy :Þ. I am most probably gonna get it.

Thnx for comments and go ahead and add some additonal replies if you know something I dont know :)