A B*tch Of A Problem

Hello All,

This is my first post and its a doozy.....

This problem is not completely PCpitstop specific but I 1st noticed it here and need to solve it to use this service....

When I go to test m PC I get the usual accept this cert box so PCpitstop can load whatever it loads (I'm a novice mostly as far as computers go) so I click Ok and instead of starting the tests I get an Internet Explorer error and the send/don't sendbox to report it to Microsoft, I did that the 1st time, but now I just hit do'nt send and it closes and then IE also closes.........thats my problem, I can't accept the cert from the site, the same thing happens at Trend Micro, when I try to use their free virus scan (its great, go try it)...I have posted this elsewhere and no answers to date......I have scanned and tweaked my PC with Norton Util and others and I works wonderfully......So I continue to pull out my slightly graying hair......

Can anyone Help me PLEASE

Hello All,

This is my first post and its a doozy.....

This problem is not completely PCpitstop specific but I 1st noticed it here and need to solve it to use this service....

When I go to test m PC I get the usual accept this cert box so PCpitstop can load whatever it loads (I'm a novice mostly as far as computers go) so I click Ok and instead of starting the tests I get an Internet Explorer error and the send/don't sendbox to report it to Microsoft, I did that the 1st time, but now I just hit do'nt send and it closes and then IE also closes.........thats my problem, I can't accept the cert from the site, the same thing happens at Trend Micro, when I try to use their free virus scan (its great, go try it)...I have posted this elsewhere and no answers to date......I have scanned and tweaked my PC with Norton Util and others and I works wonderfully......So I continue to pull out my slightly graying hair......

Can anyone Help me PLEASE

Welcome to the pit.

First, download this and run it:

http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/

Thanks for the link, I ran it and it found some more spyware that was missed by Spybot Search & Destroy missed.......but I tried to start the tests and I click ok and got the same error....which then causes IE to close.....any more ideas????

thanks again

Enigma

Sorry :blushing: I thought the problem was that he couldn't download the test prog.

It sounds as if some settings(s) or file(s) have become corrupted. If it were my computer, this is what I would try...

Start>settings>control panel>add or remove programs. On the left hand margin is add/remove windows components button. If you click this, it will do search and then open a box of installed components. Uncheck the IE button, then click next or whatever it says to uninstall it. Then I would reboot just to make sure it knows it's gone. Then follow the same procedure to do a fresh install of IE.

Be advised: You will probably lose your IE settings, favorites,folders,links, etc. Also, you will most likely need your WinXP disk to reinstall

Edited by IntelGuy

Intelguy, you are correct, I cannot start the tests...same thing happens when i accept at trendmicro.com to use the free virus scan.....now I thought about uninstalling IE but where do i go to get the file to install it????

also should i get another browser befor i remove IE?

thanks

duh, I read the red part of your post, it was suggested to me to use another browser to test 1st to see if its really IE thats the prob....your thoughts?/

I like the idea! Opera and Mozilla Firebird are two that come to mind, but if you can't download from the 'net...

Know anyone with a CD?

The IE program is part of the WindowsXP installation disk. If you bought your computer ready to use, there should have been a copy of the disk with the stuff that came with it.

Since you're using winxp, you have to manually repair internet explorer via the registry. I had the same problem that you had repairing the internet explorer did not fix it. I fixed the problem by using the winxp-cd and using repair windows also known as upgrading windows. Do not do a full install as this will format and repartition your hard drive. You must have your winxp cd to do this and you'll also need your registration numbers as well since it will be asking for them.

Since you're using winxp, you have to manually repair internet explorer via the registry.  I had the same problem that you had  repairing the internet explorer did not fix it.  I fixed the problem by using the winxp-cd and using repair windows also known as upgrading windows. Do not do a full install as this will format and repartition your hard drive.  You must have your winxp cd to do this and you'll also need your registration numbers as well since it will be asking for them.

it is also possible to do a reapir to XP via add/remove....going into the registry without knowing what the problem is or what tweak what might be appropriate can be a tad risky to say the least.....especially without first backing up the registry...

repair windows = upgrading windows :blink::huh: