Change Mode

Win 2000 Vs Xp

Windows 2000 and XP are pretty much the same speed, stability and ease of use. XP is MUCH more easier to network and install new hardware but Windows 2000 has less fisher price kinda stuff on it. Windows 2000 is a good solid operating system and so is xp but xp has more cushion.

i run 2k pro ... had the same problem with some 98 software ... until i found a site ... not sure where now .. but it said to put the disk in ... and create a shortcut on your desktop to the setup on the disk ... then go to the compatibility of the shortcut and make it compatible to 98 or 95 .... and run the set up from there .... then once in stalled ... go into start menu .. and right click on the shortcut there to the program and change the compatibility ... i was skeptical about it ... but it worked !!!! anything is worth a try

I have both OS on one computer. I have 2000PRO on another computer and I have XP on 2 other computers.

I find that XP works great on a computer that has more than 1g processor with at least 256mb RAM (512mb even better).

I have one computer that has a 450mhz P2 processor and 384mb RAM. XP was terrible on that PC. 2000PRO makes that PC work as well as my 2g machines for surfing the net (that's all I use that machine for).

I found that 2000PRO is much more versatile for loading older devices that were not designed with XP standards.

I would say that XP is preferable for newer machines and 2000PRO is prefferable for older machines, for the very reason that you stated.

Edited by wkavery

If I had my choice of using winxp or win98se, I'd definitely use win98se. I've had winxp-pro sp1 for almost a year and it has crashed 15 times. I've had nothing but problems with it. I had win98se for 4 years and not one time did it crash. Xp sucks!

I wouldn't have XP,, but for personal reasons more than functional ones.

I have run 2000 sp2 for 3 years now,,with no errors but one on a McAfee av uninstall,,it didn't care for that at all,,but ever since that,,its been error free.

But XP is normally cheaper to buy than 2K if that matters to ya. :) v

If I had my choice of using winxp or win98se, I'd definitely use win98se. I've had winxp-pro sp1 for almost a year and it has crashed 15 times. I've had nothing but problems with it. I had win98se for 4 years and not one time did it crash. Xp sucks!

rickk1

I'm just curious, what kind of machine (speed & age) did you have XP on?

Well first of all, I like 98se no doubt. It has been pretty good since I built this buggy in 99 but I am just in one of those moods to do something else

and I might consider a dual boot but I am also going to try and upgrade my processor first. I am running a Asus PB3-F slot one motherboard and right now considering getting a slot 1 to socket 370 converter and going from there.