I've used the debugging tool and repeatedly turned off the disk checking tool but everytime I attempt to use any of the tests, I get an error that says MSIE has encountered an error and will close.

The error signature is as follows:

AppName: iexplore.exe

AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106

ModName: pcpits~1.dll

ModVer: 1.0.0.121

Offset: 00005b1d

I've tried to turn off all the other tests during the debugging yet I still encounter this error. I've completed chkdsk /f and found no errors. I've run sfc /scannow and found nothing wrong. I've emptied my internet cache each time I've attempted to run any of the tests and I still encountered an error. I've ran tests from http://www.gemal.dk/browserspy/ and was able to complete their tests error-free. I found under my event viewer the error code was 1000 and the source code is application errors and then surfed to http://www.eventid.net and entered the code into their search and completed their suggestions and still have problems with pcpitstop's tests. :help:

Thanks for the detailed report!

Your error is just like one mentioned in another thread here by two people. That makes me think there is some application that has recently been released that conflicts with our software, since we haven't seen the error reported before. What applications are you running? For example, are you running PressPlay, antivirus, or firewall software?

I'm not running any software firewall but am running a linksys befsr-41 router with nat. I've never had any problems completing the test till now. I've not installed any new software nor have I removed/deleted any as well. I am running McAfee antivirus and McAfee Spamkiller but never had any problems with either or both of them. According to my toolbar, I am running only my sound program, my clock, spamkiller, and antivirus. I have more than enough ram to allow lots of programs to be running in the background..I have 1.25GB of pc1066 R-dram as well as 128mb in my radeon video card. My antivirus definitions are up-to-date and my system is scanned twice weekly and no viruses found. I also empty my internet cache everyday and sometimes it is emptied 2-3 times daily. My system is also defragged twice weekly. I am using NTFS if that matters. My security permissions are set at medium and have not been changed for at least a year. I previously had no problems completing all the tests till recently.

We haven't changed the tests in a couple of months so I don't think it's a change we made on our end. What makes me suspicious is that multiple people have reported this in the same week. That usually means some sort of new software is interfering and all the people reporting the problem have that software.

Which version of Windows is this? Have you checked for spyware?

I am running windows xp-pro sp1 and also running msie version 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633. I also ran all the tests at http://www.browsertune.com/bt2kfast/ and was able to not only complete all these tests but passed all of them without problems. Not once did my browser crash. I also repaired my internet explorer via instructions per http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;318378

I downloaded adaware and ran it and found no spyware on my system. Other than repairing internet explorer and then downloading msie6 again, there are no other windows updates available to me except the microsoft.net framework update which I do not use. My offixe xp also has no updates as well.

When I begin the test initially at pcpitstop, I will test without incident till I encounter the disk check and then my browser crashes. I've attempted to debug this but upon attempting to debug all the tests, the debug feature is worthless since my browser crashes again and again as soon as it is tested at the disk check.

Guest h20girl

I'm having the same issue. I"m running XP home and I can't load the tests. I the pop up box from microsoft saying Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. The specific error message contined within is:

AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName: pcpits~1.dll

ModVer: 1.0.0.121 Offset: 00005b1d

I've turned off my firewall ( pc-cillin) and pop up blocker, emptied my cache... i'm still stuck without being able to load the tests.

Hi. I posted about these problems in another thread but wanted to tell Dave that h20girl and I have the exact problem. We have been e-mailing each other and found that we both have a new F: drive that wasn't there before. One day it just showed up. It's only 39mb and only contains stuff that has to do with Dell. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the IE crashes that we are getting but I thought it was worth mentioning. I also have the same error signature:

AppName: iexplore.exe

AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106

ModName: pcpits~1.dll

ModVer: 1.0.0.121

Offset: 00005b1d

Yessss! That is definitely important information. Do you know how your F drive appeared? Was it related to any new software you installed on the system? What are the files stored on the F drive? Thanks to both of you for staying on this! :mrgreen:

Dave- I don't know how the F: drive appeared. One day I just noticed it. I don't think I installed any software at that time, but it's hard to tell since I'm not exactly sure when the F: drive appeared. I also noticed that my System Restore was suspended on both drives (C: & F:). It said one of my drives (F: only 39mb) was too full. So I ended up copying all the files from the F: drive to a cd-rw and then deleted the files in drive F: and then turned System Restore back to "monitoring". The files were all related to Dell (my PC manufacturer) and it seems like they are diagnostic files or maybe log files. If you want the names or more info on them, let me know. Thanks for the help!!

The same thing about F: drive happened to me. It just suddenly appeared. It has dell files in it and nothing else. My system's restore feature was seeminly disabled too or so I thought but when I checked the setttings, I found that my system restore settings were still enabled instead of disabled and altho my system's restore was enabled, I was not able to restore to any earlier dates.

I do remember this weekend that a friend of mine came over and without my permission, he downloaded the new Napster program onto my system and as soon as I noticed my system was rebooting, I also noticed then that my system told me that "New Hardware had been found" and it added drivers to it upon booting up. I opened my cpu and found no new hardware. I've also removed Napster as well and also went into the registry and deleted all napster references and also found and deleted other Napster hidden files as well.

My F: drive is not showing up as full altho it has used 34mb of a total of 38mb.

To all those concerned:

I fixed the problem. I don't know what the problem was nor do I know what software or hardware was at fault but I can tell you that in order to fix the problem, even the problem of the new F: drive, you must do a windows repair/windows upgrade.

Before repairing/reinstalling, remember to backup any and all files, folders, documents, settings, etc.

I am now able to complete the tests entirely without problems.

I repaired using my windows xp cd. Go here for more info:

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertz...knox/doug92.asp

Upon reading the info from microsoft, I had problems booting to my cd altho it was shown that it was enabled to boot from the cd. To sidestep that problem, while the computer was turned on, I inserted the cd and as soon as it opened onscreen, I clicked on "install windows" and then on the next page, I told it to do a windows upgrade and then followed the directions to which it then restarted and rebooted to the cd finally. This repair took me about 45 minutes to complete but it took me almost 2 hours to back up my system to ensure that I did not lose anything during the repair, to which I did not.

You will need you xp-key prior to repairing so you may as well locate it and then have it ready to enter. If you have a dell that came preinstalled with xp, you'll find the xp-key on one of the sides of the cpu. I suggest using a magnifying glass to see the keycode.

I finally got my infamous F: drive off my PC. I had to reinstalled windows too. I'm not sure how the F: drive got there in the first place but at least it's gone. Thanks to Dave, rickk1 and h20girl for all the help! And now I can run the tests with no problems!

Edited by rawcruester
Guest NanoAddict2010

Yes, I also had this same problem with the F drive. I too installed Napster and I got this message when I rebooted that said new hardware found. I hope this forum will allow me to fix my problem. So far, every one of your discriptions of the problem match mine. I have a dell, and there are some strange files concerning debugging and recovery lurking around the F drive. I will try your suggestions to fix the problem.

Thanks!

Thanks, Dave!

I wrote to Napster and received a response from them as follows:

"I went to the website pcpitstop.com and it tested my computer and it worked perfectly no errors from internet explorer. If your computer is from dell and the other members you talked to use dell computers also you might want to speak with dell. And to the question about the F: drive I do not have a F: drive installed on my computer and as far as i know i don't think napster will do that it might dell backing up replaced dll files to a backup drive which would explain the F: drive".

Like that helped!!!!

I also found Napster's Customer Service phone number but haven't called it yet. I'm not quite sure how to explain this problem so that they understand what I'm trying to say. Here is the number:

1-800-839-4210

The number came from a Roxio Discussion Board Mod. I asked if they had heard about this problem from anyone else and they responded that they had no contact with Napster directly & couldn't even call the 1-800 number because they were in Canada. (LOL)

dee

Hi all , I have been trying to help dee with this problem in user to user and did also write to Napster about this and received this reply tonight.

Hi

Thanks for contacting Napster Support.

The issues we have been experiencing with Dells generally have to do with a conflict with Roxio EZCD Creator already installed on Dell systems and the Roxio Burn Engine which is built-in to Napster 2.0. Also Napster 2.0 also installs a driver file for the Samsung/Napster YP-910 player which is a Portable Device to transfer Purchased Tracks. The software called "Cypress USM Mass Storage driver installation" can be easily uninstalled in add/remove programs. This may be causing the issue which you are describing. Hope this helps.

Thanks for contacting Napster Support.

The Napster 2.0 software installation installs a driver file

When responding on this issue, please reply with email history or copy the entire body of this email and paste it into your reply to ensure that all information is retained. Not providing the email history could delay our response time.

Thanks for using Napster!

Chris S.

The Napster team

--Original Message--

Date: 11/16/2003 7:07:59 PM

To: [email protected]

Subject: Program Bugs

I'm wondering if you are aware that your new software download has been causing havoc with people with dell computers running XP (only ones that I know of).  The software has been known to create a F drive partition and install the Dell Diagnostic utilities on it.  It also renders the Computer Management Service inoperable so that the only way to delete the partition is to use a third party partitioning tool (not free) or re-format.

Please advise me if there is any fix that you have discovered for this problem other than the two that I have mentioned above as a few people I know have been affected by this.

Yours truly,

Wow, sounds like a mess. Thanks for following up with them. So it sounds like this may be due to the copy protection software in Napster then? When you remove that USM driver does the problem go away?