Router Advice

coggy

Hi

I am going to be buying a router.

Ive been told i need a 4port (Lan) to connect my computer and my laptop and 1 port (Wan) to connect my cable modem.

I basically want to share my internet connection with my wife.

I already have a Lan card for ethernet in my computer and there will be one in my new laptop.

I have 1 ethernet lead already but will need to buy 2 more, is this right?

Is this router ok for what i need:

http://www.google.dealtime.co.uk/xPC-Links...ble_DSL_BEFSR41

Many thanks

I would look for the same, but get wireless feature too. Makes it very easy to add more computers, especially a laptop (kids in school or college?) without running cables. Is basement finished? Generally speaking they are not much more--$20. :)

Wireless is for the home--for the one you picked, you'll have to run ethernet cables to each computer. Is your wife's computer in the same room as yours, if not, you'll have to run cables to it. Messy. Wireless is the way to go, coggy. :)

cog, the link didn't show any routers--I don't think the brand matters (mine is Belkin; look for best deal: Rebates). I don't want to get you in over your head (I'm not an expert, but I have wireless and love it). Let's start here: is your wife's computer in the same room as yours?

In wireless, each additional computer needs PCI card or USB adapter (around $50)

Do you anticipate moving her computer to another room or adding others (laptop, for instance)?

If no, then go wired--it is cheaper and will meet your needs.

If yes, then consider wireless--you can use it (other computers) in any rooms--range 100 to 200 feet or so.

Going to breakfast, later :lol:

Does the wireless and wire routers have speed differences and how far can one of those routers go.

I was planning to get one so that I can have one computer in my room and my sisters downstairs.

Is it possible to have to computers run at the same time on the same wireless router?

Thanks for your help.

Im still unsure of what to do. My current pc is really old but does us for what we need. I recently fitted a Lan card to it so i can use ethernet because i had freezing problems from connecting the cable modem via USB.

This is the lappy im getting:

http://www.laptop-shop.co.uk/new-laptops-n...otebook-new.htm

We will be in the same room for a while but may be moving into different rooms in the future.

I don't understand how wireless works, what and where do i connect to the pc and the lappy.

Does the wireless router connect with a lead to the modem and then connect wirelessly to the pc and lappy?

Can anyone advise me around this please :help: :help: :help:

Does the wireless and wire routers have speed differences and how far can one of those routers go.

I was planning to get one so that I can have one computer in my room and my sisters downstairs.

Is it possible to have to computers run at the same time on the same wireless router?

yes, I don't know, and yes :)

coggy, if you are getting a laptop, I would definately get a wireless router; that way you can use the laptop and have internet access in any room in your house. Otherwise with wire, you are stuck running a cable and bascally using it in the same room as the other computers.

The number one reason for networking is to share an internet connection.

Do you have broadband, DSL or cable?

If yes, all could be on the internet at same time and you probably would notice no decreased speed. :)

If you want to share a dial-up connection, you will be disappointed, I think, as all will be slower.

Wireless connect the same way cordless phones connect--no cables!

I would try to bargain with the company that you are ordering the laptop from, maybe they will through in wireless card or at a reduced price! If you feel you still don't want wireless, the lappy has ethernet already and you are set, but limited to wiring it to computers in same room (but why?)! I would want to use it in any room the house--that's the beauty of wireless.

Edit: read up about wireless here. The kind I'm talking about is called Wi-Fi.

That looks like a nice computer ;)

I think it has wireless but I am unclear with what this means

Wireless communication

Wireless Technology : Wireless LAN upgradeable with optional mini PCI card

ok thanks, what about my pc?

Just a thought, can i connect my pc to the router with ethernet cable and leave the router by the pc, and then just use wireless for my lappy?

Does this router allow you to do this?

This for your pc :

http://linksys.com/products/product.asp?gr...cid=35&prid=544

Its a wireless access point and router :) and on that product :)

Thats for both computers kinda,you plug your computer directly into the router part of it,and you put the card into the card slot on your laptop,install the drivers as instructed howto in the instructions :) .Linksys gives you directions on howto do everything included with the product. :)

ok thanks,

Just a thought, can i connect my pc to the router with ethernet cable and leave the router by the pc, and then just use wireless for my lappy?

Does this router allow you to do this?

Thanks for steppin' in awesome! Good links.

cog, this is the kindof stuff I would not buy through the mail--I would go to store in US such as OfficeMax, Staples, etc. Do you have such a store? Usually the clerks can answer questions and give support (especially the young ones). :lol:

Easier to take things back too.

Yes we have a Maplins who sell stuff and a few others.

For my own knowlege i would just like to gather the information you all have given me and run it pass you to see if im on the right track.

Right then:

I currently have my cable modem connected to my pc via an ethernet lead going into the pc with a newly fitted Lan card.

I need to take that out and connect my modem to the router with the ethernet lead i already have.

This is the router:

I then need to buy another ethernet lead and connect my pc (via the lan card already fitted) to the router.

I need to buy this adapter for my laptop :

http://linksys.com/products/product.asp?gr...cid=36&prid=542

and this will then fit into my new laptop which is this:

This will then allow my laptop to be used any where in my house :P

Thanks everyone for your help, let me know if ive got it right.

Thanks again

Yes we have a Maplins who sell stuff and a few others.

For my own knowlege i would just like to gather the information you all have given me and run it pass you to see if im on the right track.

Right then:

I currently have my cable modem connected to my pc via an ethernet lead going into the pc with a newly fitted Lan card.

I need to take that out and connect my modem to the router with the ethernet lead i already have.

This is the router:

I then need to buy another ethernet lead and connect my pc (via the lan card already fitted) to the router.

I need to buy this adapter for my laptop :

http://linksys.com/products/product.asp?gr...cid=36&prid=542

and this will then fit into my new laptop which is this:

This will then allow my laptop to be used any where in my house

Thanks everyone for your help,

and have i got it right????

Just so you know I just hooked up a wireless network this weekend. I had 1 desktop hooked up to the cable modem for internet downstairs and 1 laptop upstairs and another desktop upstairs. I bought the netgear 54Mbps wireless router and hooked it to the desktop downstairs then hooked the cable modem to the wireless router. I then plugged in a Netgear 54 Mbps wireless pcmia card into the laptop. Next I bought a Linksys 54 Mbps wireless PCI card and installed it on the desktop upstairs. I went with the linksys card because i don't think Netgear has a 54Mbps PCI card out yet at least I couldn't find one. Well the desktop downstairs and the laptop upstairs worked perfect with the laptop showing excellent signal strength. The other desktop upstairs (with the linksys card) kept disconnecting and not letting me on my network or the internet. I got sick of messing with it and uninstalled it then I went to circuit city who is having a sale right now on microsoft networking equipment. I bought a Microsoft 54Mbps wireless PCI card and put it in the desktop upstairs and it worked perfectly (easist setup I've seen also). Now my network is running great :)

I saw a bunch of bad reviews on linksys wireless cards and now I agree with them. The computer is just right above the one downstairs and the linksys had very bad signal quality to it.

Archived