Running 2 Av Prog. At Same Time Or Firewall

marty

Hi every one :mrgreen:

I like to know if it's ok to have 2 anti virus programs running on your PC. at the same time like AVG and nortons antivirus , and also some one told me that if I have 2 firewalls running at the same time like I have nortons internet security 2002 running with my Zone Alarm and this person said for some reason it's not good to run them both , can some one please tell me if it's ok? to run these programs together ? I like to be safe but do not want to do the wrong thing and have it backfire and end up getting a virus or trojan because I'm doing something wrong . thank you for your help on this , You all have been so much help to me , I learn so much in here and am greatful for anything you have to share on this .

be safe be happy :)

Generally a/v's don't get along. I have a multiboot with two diferent a/v's but there each on there own OS and haven't had any problems with that type of set up

I have NAV and added ZA (free), decided that I did not need 2 - Norton does a great job. If you do decide to get rid of ZA (free) - make sure you go to their site to uninstall it - if not, you could have Major Problems ...........

Yes Mary that's true, a lot of a/v's are now comming bundled with a firewall also, my pc-cillin is always bugging me to "upgrade" to their version with a built in firewall. I just wanted to clarify that a firewall won't stop a virus from getting ya

;)

Thank you for your help. I did buy the ZA pro and I'v had it almost a year now same as for my NIS so I think I will stick with the NIS and renew that for another year. BTW I got Ad-Aware about 2 weeks ago and I got the word about A-Aware from this Forum, I think I got the URL from one of Volt's posts :mrgreen: I love it, that works great . and it's free :) ,, So thank you again for clearing that up for me have a nice day/night .

Marty,

Here's my question for you... Why pay for Norton's buggy software when AVG is free and not buggy?

Buggy and Expensive... Not good. :woot:

Not buggy and Free... Very good. :P

Mary,

I used to have ZA, and the only time I ever went to their site was to download it. When I uninstalled it to install Sygate Personal Firewall 5 (which is vastly superior to ZA in my opinion) I just did it through the Add Remove panel like I always do, and didn't have any problems at all.

Ax : I had both Norton & ZA running, I used the add/remove to get rid of ZA

( or so I thought ... ) Strange things started happening on my pc - (I posted several times on the old forums) - ZA left some "things" behind and they started to mutate and the result was a gradual blocking of misc. internet accesses ... Drove me crazy. Certain app. were being blocked and more & more all the time. Finally figured out that it was the uninstall of ZA - went to their site, used their unistall and finally removed all the little bits that stayed behind.

I probably just had all the "right" conditions going on with my pc configuratation ( 56k-WinMe-Norton-Etc. ) Lucky me !!!

I would not hesitate to recommend AVG to someone looking for a free AV program - I have never used it, however, it is so highly regarded by the members here that it Has to be good. ( I have a High Regard for the members here - Like I posted in the other thread, the Mods. & Admin. would Never steer anyone wrong intentionally ) *S*

* Norton "buggy" ??? I have Never had any problems with it once you configure it to do what you want it to ... 63108 viruses & counting !

**Symantec can't be all that bad, it Is where people go to remove viruses they get because they don't have Norton !!! ( great removal tools )

The thing with uninstalling Zone is making sure its shutdown and not running, go to MSCONFIG and uncheck all related Zone additions and reboot. During the uninstall if it asks to remove shared files say NO.

Amen to that!!!

Archived