Change Mode

Juno And Netzero Highspeed Dialup?

Netzero and Juno are advertising 'up to five times normal dialup speeds' with their $14.95 connections. Both of them offer connections in most of my travel areas, so it seems worth checking out.

Is this anything more than a caching gimmick, or is there something more to it? Do any of you use it?

Why would you want to pay extra for a dial up accelerator that you can get for free?

The ISP that I work for offers the web accelerator service for free ... no extra charge  ;)

I have broadband at home, but I borrow other peoples' dialup connections when I travel. All of them ooze along at 22 to 40 kbs.

It would be nice to have my own dialup ISP if it was faster and available everywhere, but this doesn't sound like the answer.

Why would you want to pay extra for a dial up accelerator that you can get for free?

The ISP that I work for offers the web accelerator service for free ... no extra charge  ;)

I have broadband at home, but I borrow other peoples' dialup connections when I travel. All of them ooze along at 22 to 40 kbs.

It would be nice to have my own dialup ISP if it was faster and available everywhere, but this doesn't sound like the answer.

What?

I was just saying find another ISP that offers the accelerator service for free and charges less. :erm:

But if you want to pay more money ... its fine with me.

Or find a free or cheap web accelerator and install it on your pc...

Edited by aeroman10

What?

I was just saying find another ISP that offers the accelerator service for free and charges less.  :erm:

Sorry..I must not have explained myself very clearly.. :blink:

What?

I was just saying find another ISP that offers the accelerator service for free and charges less.  :erm:

Sorry..I must not have explained myself very clearly.. :blink:
No you were crystal clear...I am just stupid. Sorry :erm:

From what I hear Harold either one ain't a bad deal. :) v

Using compression and caching these will be faster.

Web pages - HTML, markup and JavaScript

Graphics including JPEG and GIF images

Text

E-mail on the Web

These won't be any faster.

Streaming media, audio and video files

Secure pages, such as those used for online banking and credit card forms

Files and attachments such as music or digital photos.

In addition to caching (which can cause its own bugs) their software compresses images by throwing away information and reducing the quality of the image. You can get a similar experience by just turning images off in the browser. Be aware that our bandwidth test will read incorrectly when you use services like this. Either is better and cheaper than AOL though.

I don't know, but I would guess that it compresses and caches all requests that their proxy thinks it can get away with. If anyone has the service I'd like to hear more about whether they like it an what problems they might have.

First and foremost, let us point out that neither service actually speeds up your 56K connection, nor do they speed up music, streaming video, or executable file downloads. Instead, they use a combination of caching and compression technologies to speed the delivery of typical Web pages to your PC.

EarthLink Plus uses a solution engineered by Propel Software Corp. to compress certain page elements, such as text and graphics, shrinking the data sets so they arrive at your location faster. NetZero HiSpeed is based on SlipStream Data's solution, which also compresses certain page elements.

Both services let you choose varying levels of optimization, which affects the quality of the graphics on a page. If you choose the highest speed (and hence the greatest compression), the image quality is downright poor. On PCMag .com, for example, the photo accompanying John C. Dvorak's column became a featureless blob. But you can right-click on an image to restore it to its original resolution—after the requisite dial-up delay, of course.

In addition to compression, EarthLink Plus and NetZero HiSpeed employ proprietary caching technologies that enable fast access to frequently visited sites. Essentially, the accelerator mechanism saves certain elements of previously loaded pages and has to process only the updated elements rather than retrieving the entire page. In our informal testing, we noticed faster load times of the PCMag.com home page after subsequent visits. The more you visit the same sites, the faster those pages will load.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1090228,00.asp

In addition to compression, EarthLink Plus and NetZero HiSpeed employ proprietary caching technologies that enable fast access to frequently visited sites. Essentially, the accelerator mechanism saves certain elements of previously loaded pages and has to process only the updated elements rather than retrieving the entire page. In our informal testing, we noticed faster load times of the PCMag.com home page after subsequent visits. The more you visit the same sites, the faster those pages will load.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1090228,00.asp

That makes it pretty clear, volt.

The ads I saw presented this as a wonderful new technology that delivers up to five times the old line speeds for dialups. They were generous with themselves. :)