Change Mode

Magnet + Hard Drive

Can a magnet ruin a hard drive? I installed some new componants in a new Raidmax case, and it was fine for a day and now it won't boot from the hard drive. I looked in bios and under the hard drive, it has keeps changing the name, it shows all strange characters. Is it the fault of the magnet or maybe the drive cable is bad? I can't move the magnet or the hard drive because they are both stuck.. The magnet being the un-moveable PC speaker and the drive is caught with a small screw that my friend screwed in.. Is the magnet the thing that messed it up?

Can a magnet ruin a hard drive?

yup. if it's big enough and maybe if it's just a small one. and seeing that you had a speaker next to it, i'll bet you might have did some permanent damage cuz those big speakers have a mighty big magnet on them. i had my monitor 2 feet away from my 440 watt subwoofer (not all 440 went to the sub) and it caused some major probs with the printer with its resolution and such. moved it away as soon as i saw it wasnt far enough away though.

The speaker is the crappy PC speaker the case came with and it is bolted down, I can't even move it. I don't know why RAIDMAX would be so stupid and put a GIANT PC speaker right next to the hard drive cage.. :rolleyes:

The speaker is the crappy PC speaker the case came with and it is bolted down, I can't even move it.  I don't know why RAIDMAX would be so stupid and put a GIANT PC speaker right next to the hard drive cage.. :rolleyes:

remove the speaker then. trust me.... it's movable. you just need the right tools for the job.

edit - i'd rather have a busted up speaker ANY day over a broken hard drive.

Edited by Newdles

Why do you think the magnet would do that?

It seems to me, if the magnet would do anything, it would wipe data, not change it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Could it possibly be a bad mobo battery?

the drive is caught with a small screw that my friend screwed in..

HMMMMMMM! Very suspicious :shifty:

Edited by wkavery

The motherboard battery is new. The only other time I saw characthers change and become all strange was at a lan party. Some person connected their PC with a faulty ethernet cord, and they showed up on the router as strange character names that sorta resembled their original name. The same is happening in my case with what bios reads as the hard drive.

That magnet is really stuck, it is bolted down, and I have no tools that could get it off.

That magnet is really stuck, it is bolted down, and I have no tools that could get it off.

like i said...

trust me.... it's movable. you just need the right tools for the job

i've cut 4 1/2 inch steel plating before. trust me... you can get that off there with the right tools :) take it to a tool and die shop. they should be able to cut it out for ya with a torch or a plasma cutter :)

heck, tin snips could get it also if you were willing to try it. tin snips are cheap and might even be sold at gas stations lol.

HMMMMMMM! Very suspicious  

What I meant was, check the way that you mounted the HD. I hope that you're not saying that the HD is attached with only 1 screw. If it is, that could cause all kinds of problems. Poor ground, uneven pressure on the HD housing causing it to torque wrong or twist the case. It the screw is too long it can damage the HD.

As for the speaker, if you really want it out of there, just cut the supports that mount the magnet to the speaker. You don't care if you ruin the speaker, you just want the magnet out.

If you take your wire cutters and squeeze down on the skinny metal supports, you can probably cut right through them. If not, just twist the wire cutters back and forth until it breaks. There's usually only 2 or 3 little skinney supports holding the magnet.

Don't get cut on the shrp metal :mrsgreen:

If that doesn't work, dynamite should do the trick :woot:

Edited by wkavery

The other thing you might try is filling your bathtub with Coca-Cola ;) . Leave the part of the case that holds the speaker soak over night :P . I gauranty, when you get up in the morning, the speaker will be gone :lol:

So will the case :woot: .

The other thing you might try is filling your bathtub with Coca-Cola ;) . Leave the part of the case that holds the speaker soak over night :P . I gauranty, when you get up in the morning, the speaker will be gone :lol:

So will the case :woot: .

:mrsgreen:

don't tempt me into doing things for experimental purposes :woot:

Citric acid and phosphoric acid doesn't hurt the old tummy ;)

Sure eats the heck outa metal though :woot:

Unless, of course, you have a "cast iron" stomach :lol: .

BTW. AdamMAXIS, Just in case you haven't already figured it out I was j/k.

Drink the coke and give the dynamite to TiMiSu :mrgreen:

Edited by wkavery

Ok, I just removed the magnet via Coke, and the problem still exists. I also tried another hard drive wire, and it still doesn't work. I think the drive might of died due to overclocking and being used a lot. I tried all I could, I will try a few more things before I officially declare it dead such as try the hard drive in another system. Thanks for the help :yup:

Ever watch Myth Busters on History Channel? They've probably tried the coke thing. :P  :nospys:

About 2 nights ago, I watched it ;) but it was on Discovery Edited by Zman