Deceptive Gator Ad

chengrob

This is the ad that I find the most deceptive ad for spyware.

Posted Image

This ad is really annoying for many reasons:

1. There is no way that an ad can know whether your system clock is incorrect or not. It is deceptive.

2. The entire shaking thing is just plain annoying.

3. Worse yet, is *if* you click on this ad, it will immediately try to download Gator. If you click no, it will ask you "Are you sure?". If you answer Yes, then it will download Gator anyhow.

It is just pure deception.

Rob

I'm not much of a fan for more legislation but in this case I really think there should be a law against this type of thing. My idea is that all internet ads must say somewhere clearly visible the NAME of the company for which it is advertising. Gator would then have to place their name on all of their deceptive ads.

The issue about deceptive advertising goes way beyond Gator. For example on our site, Inkline, the makers of PC Booster and Memory Booster, show ads that look as if they are recommendations that come from our site. Many customers *think* they are purchasing from Pitstop. If, by law, they had to put their name on their ad, then it would eliminate all of the confusion.

I think this legislation exists for other advertising medium, it just hasn't made its way to the web yet. Have you noticed when two politicians are campaigning on TV, and one runs a negative ad on the other, it says "Paid for by the committe to reelect Jack Black" or something like that. They have to do that by law.

What bothers me more, and I wish was against the law, is that these companies who use spyware install their software on our computers without permission, and then use our internet connections to spy on us. My computer may not be the best, but I paid cash for it all the same. And my internet connection costs me $50.00 a month. I never gave anyone permission to install anything on my computer or to transmit anything over my connection. I don't much care if they monitor where I go on the Internet, because I don't anything that I don't want anyone to know about. But it bothers me to no end that they do it at my expense, with software that is buggy, and causes all sorts of problems. Spyware in general should be illegal.

:nospys:

What bothers me is that at the university, a bunch of mousepads have advertisments for gator, making it all sound cool. I hate gator. Everytime I hear words such as "alligator", I do the shudder thing you sometimes see on the Simpsons, like when Homer gets disgusted by Marge's sisters. I hate deceptive crap on the net. Those damn :filtered: enlargement ads and spam are a whole other rant.... :angry:

Guest zypher1971

I think it's interesting how I come into a foum that is supose to be against Spyware...and the second I click on it....my spyware blocker called Ad-Aware pops-up and says the site tried to put a tracking cookie :oreo: on my computer......hmmm.....

just to let you know it's a cookie from Mediaplex :nuke: .

If you would like to get a Spyware stopper, try Ad-Aware (I've been using it for almost a year now and it really works)

http://www.lsfileserv.com/software/adaware/

If you have any questions emial me at [email protected] (it might take a little while for me to reply, this is the address I give out to almost everything I signup for on the net, so it gets a lot of junk mail (imagine that)

Archived