Change Mode

your best performance gain is to put it on a different drive not a different partition. there are exceptions to this however. first though... windows gets installed on the primary active partition which is usually c:\. and it is installed at the beginning of the disk and this gives it max performance and disk utilization. paging file gets located on this primary active partition after all windows files have are installed. this puts the paging file further away from the beginning of the disk increasing seek time for access. the exception to the rule i was referring to is that you would need to wipe the drive. setup new partitions. one would need to be located at the beginning of the drive. then second partition thereafter would be windows and so on.

your max results though (if both physical disks are exact same speed or the OTHER drive is faster) would be to place the paging file on a totally different physical drive right at the beginning of the drive itself (preferably its own partition on this drive also).

putting the paging file on the same drive your os is on now will not help you very much at all unless you plan on repartitioning your drive. in fact, it may actually slow things down a bit depending on how full the drive itself is and where the partition begins on the hard drive.

yup. but first.. why do you want to do that? if you have less than 512 mb of memory, then i won't tell ya how to do it. lol. cuz if you dont have that much memory... turning paging file off will slow down the performance.

i thout it makes the uncached speed go down?

at the loss of the small amount of uncached speed you experience compared to the loss of system performance with no paging file... i'd settle for a small loss to gain in system performance.

if you don't want a paging file though.... do this.

winxp -

Click start and then right click on my computer and click properties. System Properties opens up and here you want to click on the advanced tab. Just below this you will see "Performance" and here you want to click the "Settings" button. Once again a new window opens with Performance Options. Now click on the "Advanced" tab at the top. Then at the bottom, under Virtual Memory, you need to click "Change". Now you should see ALL physical drives and partitions and each of the drives lables and the Paging File Size (MB) that is allocated to each drive and how much.

In order to change these settings, you need to highlight the drive/partition by left clicking

on the drive/partition you wish to place the paging file on. After doing that, put a check in

the circle beside "No Paging File" and then click "Set".

now just click ok to everything and exit out and reboot the pc. i advise leaving it enabled.