Windows Xp And Msn8

I recently installed MSN8 for the two month free trial on my Windows XP machine and my Windows 98 machine. I have no problems with it on the Windows 98 machine, but on the XP machine I've found a problem. Don't know if it's a MSN problem or a XP problem. What happens is, there are three of us that use this and I am the primary user (all have different ID's). If the other users sign on directly, it sometimes shuts down the computer. If they log on with my id, then switch ids, the problem doesn't happen. Doesn't matter if they switch to another destop, the problem still happens. Anybody every hear of this problem? :blink:

At first I couldn't figure out the connection between Jack's post and your problem, but I think I get it now. Is it possible that MSN needs some sort of admin rights and only your primary account has them? Seems like a good theory.

I'm downloading the service pak now. It takes awhile, so I won't know for awhile, but it sounds like that's the problem. I know that in both cases (Windows XP and MSN8) I am the administrator, and I don't have any problem. Thanks, I'll let you know how I make out. :woot:

I've noticed alot of bugs in msn 8, constantly losing a connection, strange things going on with the mail, and always being told to update messenger when I have the lastest version already, and this is just a few.

Although the virus scan for attachments and parental controls are an awesome improvement over previous versions, and I will give them credit for that. Hopefully they'll work on the other matters.

Anyway, hope the sp solves your problem. :)

You can get your plug ins here;

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#Flash

The only other thing was that mozilla and the older ATI drivers don't get along, if ya got an ATI card,update the driver. They also have a help form too

http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/

I don't think I'll ever go back to IE or OE again...why bother with M$ problems

If you have a full install disk go to start>run>type sfc /scannow you'll most likely need the disk when it asks. and leave a space between sfc and / that might repair your files

Edited by Joe C

CAUTION on using the sfc command... it replaces the "Windows protected files" back to what they were when XP was first installed... you have to reinstall all service packs and security updates/patches AGAIN after doing that!