Change Mode

Please Read This

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does she really sound like she is in pain, or is that her way of commnicating. If you read her story you would realise that she had sustained a brain injury

she suffered brain damage from a sudden collapse

Now for anyone that is not familiar with the brain, it is separated into lobes, the frontal lobe; which controls emotions, speech and movement was likely affected by her brain injury. Therefore the aspects of life that one day may have been easy for her, such as speech is now a challenge. I don't think she is in pain, she obviously can hear her father in the clip and I think she can understand him hence her trying to respond to his questions.

Alive:

having life : not dead or inanimate

Is Terri Alive by that definition? well she is not dead, and she can move (mind you just a little amount); the answer is yes, She is alive.

I can't believe you people would just pull the plug on her.

Actually the frontal lobes are implicated in far more than emotion and far more important things than emotion. The frontal lobes are responsible for planning actions. Emotions are somewhat mediated by frontal and pre-frontal cortex but most emotions are very primitive and sub cortical mediation.

I am somewhat confused. I thought that to be photographed or videotaped and publicly displayed you had to give permission. Obviously this patient is not capable of consent so how were these videos made? Why were they made after seperate court orders to cease videotaping the patient. Why have the parents who claim to have made the videotapes not been prosecuted? Where is the cry for justice when the family is exploiting Terri's image? Why is it illegal to to have" freak shows" and publicly display the disabled unless you are Terri's parents?

Guest Deuces Wild

This topic is getting old and going nowhere. Everyone is repeating themselves at this point.

Let the lady die in peace and with dignity and lets move on.

This topic is getting old and going nowhere. Everyone is repeating themselves at this point.

there'a no harm being done if "everyone" feels a need, or wants, to continue posting in this thread, whether it be to ask a question or continue to sort out their thoughts. simply stop reading if you're no longer interested. ;)

there'a no harm being done if "everyone" feels a need, or wants, to continue posting in this thread, whether it be to ask a question or continue to sort out their thoughts. simply stop reading if you're no longer interested. ;)

Yes I agree that a debate isnt harmful but this thread was for Terri Schiavo, whose life was put to an end by people thinking they were god, lets start a new thread for this :mrsgreen:

I am sorry if anyone didnt like what I said

But Dave according to what you say we shouldnt even try curing a person with a curable disease such as simple Hepatitis since God is meaning to end that persons life. This may only be my belief but if God wants to end someones life, no amount of instruments or science can help. In this case it was MAN who made this decision. :(

See I thought this debate was about people who wanted to play God by keeping a body alive. OOOOPs. Wrong thread I guess.

This thread was not supossed to be a debate, me and my brother thought it would be the decent thing toi make a plea on here for support to help out a desperate woman and her family. This was never meant as a debate and never meant to stir up controversy rather the only thing we wanted was to see her live, no matter the circumstances. I just thought it would be a good gesture to at least try for her, if she is however dead then they could find a much less barbaric method of killing her then starving her to death. To say the least I was appalled and disgusted at some of the comments made.

Thank you very much to all of those who showed their support and tried to save a life. Though a fight that was pointless in the end at least we tried.

:bawling:

The human race once again proves how little technology and science has taught them. We have the power to keep her alive, but why even try? Playing god? sure, god does a sh!tty job so some one has to step in. If god was a great fellow, he would strike down Terri's [email protected]@ard husband and let her live, but it doesn't happen that way. Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people. It sucks.

The local radio just carried a news blurb on this case. The case has been ruled on by 19 judges in 6 different jurisdictions. I mention this because in looking over this thread there seems to be the erroneous belief that 1 judge has made the decision to have her feeding tube removed. While 1 judge is responsible for the latest decision the decision has been made and confirmed repeatedly.

Based on the little I know, I'm with the husband on this one. Terri parents ceased to be her guardian once she wedded her husband. Assuming they never disputed his fitness as a spouse in the past, they have no right to dispute it now. They diminish her dignity by implying that her husband whom she loved and who loves her isn't capable of making a proper decision.

I

PS I'm not in favour of euthanasia or assisted suicide but I am in favour of free-will, rights and responsibilities, no matter how strange or hurtful they may appear on their face.

I hope she dies soon, for her sake, and to kill this way overdue for euthanasia thread.

Maybe it's cruel to starve her, but after I heard the one mp3 of her idiot father saying, "Hi, little sweetie Terri, got a smile for me?" and freaking badgering her for a response, and then hearing that anguished sound from her (and remember - that sound was brought to you by the keep Terri alive faction), all I can say is I'm damn glad I live nowhere near there, or I'd be facing hard time because I'd personally snap her neck and free her from this. Was it a sound of physical pain, or the mental agony of being halfway among us, but completely unable to get your feelings across? Completely unable to do anything at all. Maybe she can somewhat acknowledge what's going on around her, and her hell is the fact that she can't do anything about it. Imagine yourself in a vegetable state. OK, if you're a stone total veg, I hope you feel nothing. But what if your brains are alive enough to realize that you are completely mangled, and yet you wish to speak, see, and feel. That is the real torture. Spin it either way, it was still a sound that should not be heard upon this Earth.

And one last word, it is an ABOMINATION that Kevorkian is in jail! The people that he "killed" were people who were facing inevitable, painful, and TERMINAL prognoses. He did not cruise around looking for vegetables and cripples to waste, those people sought out Dr. Jack. Trust me, if I was diagnosed with an ailment of which there is no known cure, hopefully I'd still have the use of my limbs to off myself before it was too late, and I was forced to suffer like this Terri suffered. Dr. Jack is not a murderer, look at him as a angel of mercy, if you are of a religious bent. It is the religion freaks who painted him as a Dr. Mengele, and it is them who unjustly hold him prisoner.

JACK KEVORKIAN RULES!

I agree that there is absolutely no way she can continue on being in that state. But they have not even tried to treat her, at her husbands request. If they try and it doesn't work and she cannot be helped then euthanize her. And why in hell are they starving her to death. What a barbaric way of killing a person. They have many quick and painless ways to kill a person and that is not one of them.

I am not against the concept of euthanizing a fellow human being, but only after every possible alternative has been explored, which is not the situation here.

Guest Deuces Wild

Yes now it will again go to court and possibly all the way to the supreme court. I think it is fascinating that legislature now thinks it can play doctor.

Just as the courts will possibly do. ;)

Well they are mostly playing politics. A minority of people seem to think that her suffering should be prolonged but while some one might vote against somebody "that killed terri" not many people will vote for "somebody that ended her suffering"

How do we know, that she is not trapped? Living a normal life in her mind... though to ponder... and if they killed her... why not just take a rifle to the head... indtead of letting her die within week or so. I think she should live... and if I met her husband I would have something hard enough to put him in a vegetated state for 13 years. :angry: