Change Mode

I Was Born In Small Town

lindalou

Small Town People-

Those of us who grew up in a small town will laugh when we read this. Those of you who didn't will be in disbelief... but trust me every one of these are true.

1) You can name everyone you graduated with.

2) You know what 4-H is

3) You went to parties at a pasture, barn, gravel pit, or in the middle of a dirt road. On Monday you could always tell who was at the party because of the scratches on their legs from running through the woods when the party was busted, see #6.

4) You used to "drag" main.

5) You said the "F" word and your parents knew within the hour.

6) You scheduled parties around the schedule of different police officers, since you know which ones would bust you and which ones wouldn't.

7) You could never buy cigarettes because all the store clerks knew how old you were (and if you were old enough they'd tell your parents anyhow).

8) When you did find somebody old enough and brave enough to buy cigarettes, you still had to go out into the country and drive on back roads to smoke them.

9) You knew which section of the ditch to find the beer your buyer dropped off.

10) It was cool to date somebody from the neighboring town.

11) The whole school went to the same party after graduation

12) You don't give directions by street names or directions by references. Turn by Nelson's house, go 2 blocks east to Anderson's, and it's four houses left of the track field.

13) The golf course had only 9 holes.

14) You can't help but date a friend's ex-boyfriend/girlfriend.

15) Your car stays filthy because of the dirt roads and you will never own a dark vehicle for this reason.

16) The town next to you is considered "trashy" or "snooty", but is actually just like your town.

17) You refer anyone with a house newer then 1980 as the "rich people."

18) The people in the "big city" dress funny then you pick up the trend 2 years later.

19) Anyone you want can be found at the local gas station or the town pub.

20) You see at least one friend a week driving a tractor through town or one of your friends drives a grain truck to school occasionally.

21) The gym teacher suggest you haul hay for the summer to get stronger.

22) Directions are given using THE stop light as a reference.

23) You decide to walk somewhere for exercise and 5 people pull over and ask you if you want a ride somewhere.

24) Your teachers call you by your older sibling's names.

25) Your teachers remember when they taught your parents.

26) You can charge at the local stores or write checks without any ID.

27) The closest McDonalds is 45 miles away (or more).

28) The closest mall is over an hour away.

29) It is normal to see an old man riding through town on a riding lawn mower.

30) You've peed in a cornfield.

31) Most people go by a nickname.

I got this in an email, if I was ever invited to any of the parties I am sure it was true. But, I was a good girl Posted ImagePosted Image

3) You went to parties at a pasture, barn, gravel pit, or in the middle of a dirt road. On Monday you could always tell who was at the party because of the scratches on their legs from running through the woods when the party was busted, see #6.

The above was my high school graduation and after prom scene.......cops and all....5yr. class reunion was the same thing except we were all a bit too old to busted for possession...... :mrgreen: .......those are the times I miss..... :rolleyes:

McDonalds........... 250 miles away.

I have been to many gravel pit partys and fallen in many fires. Those were the days, oops, still are the days here. :mrgreen:

I grew up in a small town. That's exactly how it was like. The whole school did go to the same party after graduation, lol.

:censored: :angel: LOL, I am biting my tounge on that one!

:censored: :angel: LOL, I am biting my tounge on that one!

you think small towns can only exist in the 1950's? :lol:

There's plenty of small towns in every state, and yes, I grew up in one. One hour away from Tucson, where I currently live now.

:mrgreen: I enjoy hearing about the small town happenings every week on "Prarie Home Companion" on Saturday nite at 6 pm on public radio ---WUOM from Ann Arbor or WKAR from East Lansing is the place --on the web too. I guess you can watch the show on the web at 4:30 pm on Saturday from Minnesota Public Radio.

The town I was raised in was a farming community for a hundred fifty years and now the yuppies are in big houses all over the farmland---a really bad trade if you ask me!

:angry:

6) You scheduled parties around the schedule of different police officers, since you know which ones would bust you and which ones wouldn't.

The town I grew up in was so small there was only one policeman :lol: and McDonalds... I had no idea... :P we had one fish & chips shop! They did do burgers though... hehe

Donna Posted on Oct 15 2003, 12:21 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You didn't get what I meant, The kids here still party at the same spots as I did.. And I wasn't arid in the 50's.  

My niece was telling me of the places they have their parties at. I could have told her the exact same spots. Some traditions continue. I miss those days too. What was that Bruce Springsten song "Glory Days"? :mrgreen:

13) The golf course had only 9 holes.

Shoot. In my neck of the plains (no woods here), if you had a 9 hole course, that's big city. The greens (up to a few years ago) were sand (less upkeep)! Did you ever play on one of those? :P

Now days, when I go hunting, it saddens me that that 3 out of every 4 farmsteads are abandoned.... :(

24) Your teachers call you by your older sibling's names.

25) Your teachers remember when they taught your parents.

26) You can charge at the local stores or write checks without any ID.

Every one of those...especially 24 and 25. I still can't go anywhere without seeing one of my parents old teachers, and they come up to me and call me by my Dad's name and ask me how I've been...either they think I'm my Dad or just tell me that I'm the spittin' image of 'im. What's even more funny about it is that I didn't even go to nor graduate from the school here :mrgreen:

Ain't it the truth :

And these tell how old you are. I remember most of them. :lol:

How many do you remember ?

1. Blackjack chewing gum

2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water

3. Candy cigarettes

4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles

5. Hamburger joints with tableside jukeboxes

6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers

7. Party lines (telephone)

8. Newsreels before the movie

9. Slingshots

10. Butch wax

11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive - 6933)

12. Peashooters

13. Howdy Doody

14. 45 RPM records

15. S&H Green Stamps

16. Hi-fi's

17. Metal ice trays with levers

18. Mimeograph paper

19. Blue flashbulbs

20. Amos and Andy

22. Cork popguns

23. Drive-ins

24. Studebakers

25. Wash tub wringers

If remembered 0-5 = You're still young

If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older

If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age

If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

Ain't it the truth :

And these tell how old you are. I remember most of them. :lol:

How many do you remember ?

1. Blackjack chewing gum

2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water

3. Candy cigarettes

...<snip>

I've seen this list reposted across the net sooo many times, and I can't understand it. You can still purchase 1-3 here, 4+5 still exist here, 7 we had a party line when I was a kid, 9 what kid didn't have one?, 14 Use to listen to them all the time, 17 we had those too, 18 always had them in school, 19 you still can buy them, 23 there's 3 around here.

I'm 24 years old.

Enjoy it while it's there...my town was like that, then *BAM* it grew up, and is still growing.

Now there's all these kids driving down the once quiet streets with their d*** subs, idiots doing 60 down my neighborhood street, and kids squeeling their tires all over the place...Enjoy it mate...cuz this sucks!

Enjoy it while it's there...my town was like that, then *BAM* it grew up, and is still growing.

Now there's all these kids driving down the once quiet streets with their d*** subs, idiots doing 60 down my neighborhood street, and kids squeeling their tires all over the place...Enjoy it mate...cuz this sucks!

I don't live in a small town at all, Erie is the 3rd largest city in Pennsylvania in a county of almost 300,000 people.

've seen this list reposted across the net sooo many times, and I can't understand it. You can still purchase 1-3 here, 4+5 still exist here, 7 we had a party line when I was a kid, 9 what kid didn't have one?, 14 Use to listen to them all the time, 17 we had those too, 18 always had them in school, 19 you still can buy them, 23 there's 3 around here.

You must live farther back in the woods than I do :woot:

We don't have hardly any of those nowdays :erm: