Change Mode

Satellite Internet Service

Guest quaz

Guest ter7997
:erm: well dont get it if your a gamer but thats a give me right there. i wasted about 600 bux on it and then there is a limit to how much you d/l at a time which was annoying to me since i was getting legit stuff like updates and stuff and game demos and mods.. with all that said if you want it go for it but i waited and waited for broadband here finnally was able to get wireless, now there is cable too but i am staying with wireless since i spent 200 on equipment now and its stable steady pings no problems ohh another problem i was having with sat was the weather ecck always go out on ya when the weather is bad like raining which isnt good since there is nothing to do when its raining really

I have Directway from the direct tv people. I love it, but i have never used anything except dial up. I keep a dial up account for my online games, gets expensive....

I usually get files to dl at around 100-180 k, not bad i suppose.

Web browsing isnt as fast as dsl or cable, but its not bad.

Only way some of can join the 21st century...

cable here costs about 35 bucks and goes quite fast, typically 700k/s on downloads but have seen it spike to 2mb/s. Satellite has high pings and low download speed, costs alot and is typically slower than any other type of broadband. I would suggest not getting it until they can reissue the technolagy, it has great potential just not quite there yet.

Dunno about everywhere else, but here in Boise, the Satellite internet providers only provide modems that plug in via USB, which can be a pain for some people if they want to share it with other PC's. Latency is usually really bad, so gamers beware.

Guest la_bomba

I've got a quick question, sort of on this subject. I'm a jonior in HS, but am already looking towards college. Long story short, I need internet in a slightly remote area. I've been doing research, and need a couple things straightened out. First, satellite and wireless are different ISP's? Satellite restricts filesharing programs (suck as kazaa and the sutff)?

Also, I know satellite is available everywhere, and according to the very limited info I've found, wireless is available in only a few, selected areas. In your guys opinion, will wireless internet expand in the recent future, and if so, how much/fast/whatever?

Guest ChrisP96

Yes, satellite and wireless connections are two different types of broadband services.

My husband has successfully downloaded files from Kazaa over our satellite connection. So I don't think satellite would restrict filesharing.

As for the satellite connection, it's great for downloading files off the internet and general websurfing. But it is definitely NOT for latency-sensitive applications like games and VPN connections. The latter I am especially peeved about because I need VPN to connect to my company's intranet. Although satellite is capable of making a VPN connection, it is extemely SLO-OOO-OW at roughly 30k to 55k. But my only alternative (til recently) was dialup, which tops out at 26k in my neighborhood.

Another satellite negative is their relatively high cost. I spent nearly $800 on installation and equipment, and currently pay about $80/month. You can get a faster, more reliable connection with DSL or cable at half the monthly fee and a fraction of the installation/equipment costs.

Wireless broadband was made available in our area within the past few days. Although it is even pricier than the satellite connection, I figured its low latency and faster speeds will more than make up for the extra cost (til cable or DSL becomes available here). I scheduled a wireless installation for this Friday.....

If it is your only access to broadband then I highly recomend it.

It was the only access I had to broadband for years, I used it for three + years and after using it I would never have used dial up again.

As for many of the "common" myths associated with it I will try and clarify a few.

Download speeds; Average and consistant download speeds for me were always in the 700 to 1 megabyte range. That was only after changing the default rwin settings to 64240, the defaults in windows will give horrible speeds, if anyone is experiencing slow download speeds then their PC isn't set up properly.

The limits imposed by the fair access policy otherwise none as FAP, is actually generous for most users needs, it limits downloads to about 200 megabytes an hour. If you abuse that limitaion on a regular basis they will scale back your bandwith for a small amount of time.

Gaming can be an issue because of the latancey issue's associated with the distance to the satallites. My best suggestion is to "not" get the two way satellite, but get the very much cheaper, older type system that utilizes a dial up modem for uploads and the dish for downloads. That set up requires that you have a dial up connection, so for gaming you simply just use the dial up.

Cost; avoid the two way type set up, the FCC absolutely requires that any two way satellite set up has to be installed by a proffesional, that is not imposed on the older system. The older dish system can be purchased for $150, you set it up yourself. It is by far much cheaper, and the "download" speeds are the same.

Internet sharing isn't a problem with either the two way, or older one way systems. I had at times more then a dozen PC's sharing the connection, never had a problem with it at all.

All that is required is an ethernet card in the PC with the connection and a simple hub. Worked like a charm all the time.

It is more expensive then cable and DSL, but that isn't an issue when those services are not available.

It isn';t really that much more expensive when all things are considered. If you get the television service and internet it is about $100 a month, my cable, and internet is $102 a month. Just about the same price.

Satellite offers digital television, if you have not seen a diugital picture, you will be shocked at how bad analog cable tv really is. Satellite also offers amny more channels for the same money as opposed to cable.

All in all, I say if no other options are available then get a satellite dish, the benefits far outway any of the negeative and often myths that are associated with it.

If and when cable, or DSL are not available then in my opinion there nothing better then satellite inetrnet connection. You would not be disapointed.

Thanks one and all.Next question.Where's the best place to buy it ? I'll probably go with Direcway and Directv.Thanks again.