Change Mode

Avi Divx Movies Wont Play On

when i play divx movies or avi movies my computer plays it till 3 too 10minits than it freezes than goes too a blue screen why? i play dvds and mpgs fine and i read divx faq they say i need mmx in the computer? i got a amd does it need a intel processor too play them i even tried playing them in real player and media play and it still does it :( i even download the anti freeze thing.

you need an mmx enabled microprocessor. The Duron is the cheap version of the Athlon. I'm guessing you have a Socket A motherboard. You should switch to an Athlon processor, which has MMX - or install a video card, because it's obvious that you are using integrated video by your test results stating you have 240MB RAM. That must mean 256MB, but 16MB shared for built-in video. Switching to an Athlon and getting a video card. Either or both of these suggestions should solve your problem.

you need an mmx enabled microprocessor. The Duron is the cheap version of the Athlon. I'm guessing you have a Socket A motherboard. You should switch to an Athlon processor, which has MMX - or install a video card, because it's obvious that you are using integrated video by your test results stating you have 240MB RAM. That must mean 256MB, but 16MB shared for built-in video. Switching to an Athlon and getting a video card. Either or both of these suggestions should solve your problem.

Its a laptop I think, Im sure the processor upgrade would be possible but might be expensive

oh you're right. it is a laptop. you should still be able to upgrade the processor though - although i was most likely incorrect about the socket A motherboard. i don't know much about laptops and upgrading them, but i would assume that it's doesn't differ from desktops to too much of an extent. I would suggest looking up your motherboard and checking what type of socket it uses and the micron technology, then finding a more powerful, yet compatible processor to upgrade to. It isn't TOO expensive. If I want to upgrade my AMD Athlon XP 1800+, the best I could get that would be compatible would be the 2200+ for only approximately $80.

ok thanks for the help :) so far it working a litte better with avi movies i uninstalled the codec and the divx player so far no freezes but i do want too upgrade the processor and the video :) you meen a Athlon 1ghz or more should fit in this board?