Hardware Problem

Guest MichaelAngelo

Guest MichaelAngelo

One of my computers at home (about one year old and a decent one) suddenly does not recognize that there are two CD-ROM (CD-ROM and CD-RW) drives anymore. When I pull up 'My Computer' in XP, they are no longer shown as available options.

I have run hardware wizard where both ARE found and have uninstalled/re-installed them as recommended. I get an error message;

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

And that a problem had occurred during installation and that they may not work. Well, no kidding. I could understand perhaps if only one drive crapped out due to age or some reason, but not both at the same time. It's got to be a communication problem.

I have a feeling that downloaded software and/or Spyware may have removed some files and it shouldn't be too major of a deal to replace them. Just finding and putting the right stuff back in.

Any advice and/or solutions?

:welcome:

It's a bit obscure, but have you tried unhooking the ribbons to them yet? I'd open the case unhook the power to them for a few minutes, hook them back up and your system should recognize them as "new hardware added". Double check with some of the pro's on here, but it's gotten me thru this type of mess before. Good Luck!

edit: I have not know "spyware" to delete any files. viruses yes, spyware no. have you checked for viruses or spyware yet?

A welcome to the pit.

B run a test & use tech express to post here, so we can get a better idea of whats going on. (ps make sure the IDE cable is tightly pluged in. Also you might want to replace it on GP [General Princioples])

so they show up during boot?

do a google search for the drivers and try to install them in device manager.

jim could be right .... perhaps the ribbon was never connected securely and you need to reseat it.

Guest MichaelAngelo

Thanks for the welcomes and your prompt replies

Jim and rja: I have opened it up and checked that the ribbon cables are secure and they are. Besides, the device manager see the drives and shows them being there by model and number(with a yellow icon and exclamation mark), just inoperable. I can uninstall them, reboot and new hardware will show up being automatically installed. But then the error message 39 occurs.

Jacee: this sounds like utter greek to me. :blink:

x5dr : I think you may have hit on something. I recall I was always getting an error message on boot-up and a driver was disabled automatically. I later got to looking and found the disabled driver inside System 32 folder. I deleted that driver (Roxio BTW)and never had an error message again but I don't recall if that is when my Drives dissappeared. Could very well have been.

Archived