Change Mode

Checked For Consistency - Every Reboot

Guest MysticWinter

Guest MysticWinter

Hi -

I keep getting the error everytime I start my computer,

Checking file system on D:

one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency

I have run chkdsk again and again (not to mention it runs everytime I start my computer) it's not finding any errors on the D: drive that it keeps checking, however it did on my C: drive which was

Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.

Windows found problems with the file system.

Run CHKSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

I did, it made me restart my computer, ran on C: showed all clear, rebooted itself to do the usual run on D: still, nothing seems to be fixed. I'm at a lost.

I have two hard drives, one (I think it's a 120gb) partioned into 3, the other 80gb partioned into 2. C: and D: are of the same physical hard drive.

I'm running Windows XP home edition.

Not sure what other information would be useful.. I would truly appreciate any help at all.

Best I can figure, just before this started occuring, my husband was trying to open a .PDF file through internet exployer, became impatient, and tried to just close the Browser, which froze the computer ( so it was turned off cold ( Acrobat reader is located on drive D: it has been uninstalled (hoping to fix the problem) and reinstalled.

My computer, once fully booted, runs with no problems at all, programs etc. are flawless with no errors.

Thanks much,

Mystic

Guest MysticWinter

no, I tried to do that. told me the restore point was corrupted from a improper shutdown.. I couldn't go past the point when the computer had frozen. I can't even defrag. drive D: tells me chkdsk /f is schduled to run and that I should run it. which I have, several times in fact, on all drives.

I ran the disk health thing here, worked fine on all drives except for that D: drive, say it couldn't run it for it..

Mystic

Am I to understand that you are able to get up and running but you just keep getting that annoying error message?

If so, I would do a back up as soon as possible. It could be that you may have to do a clean install of your OS. Maybe not. Maybe someone can help you through this. I would do a back-up anyway, just in case.

If you are NOT able to boot up (I am a little unclear on that). Try booting from your XP CD. Then, do a back-up.

Edited by wkavery
Guest MysticWinter

:) I did a back-up as soon as I noticed the pattern :) last summer lost a hard drive and lots of stuff, I did learn from that :) however, this doesn't appear to me to be a failing hard drive, (or perhaps wishful thinking)

To try and be clear :) I am able to boot with no troubles, after getting past the annoying error, I've run all programs, done normal day things, hours long, nothing has given me so much as a hiccup to suggest the drive is going bad, no other errors etc.. computer runs fast and smoothly. Other than it being annoying, I want to make sure what ever the trouble is, it doesn't get worse because I have let it continue to do so without correcting what ever the problem is.

Thanks for the help :)

Mystic

BTW, what are you using to defrag?

You might try this:

http://download.com.com/3001-2094-10224681.html

There are a lot of different defrag programs out there. This is just one. I use it. It works even when my system defrag won't. It also does a LOT better job :mrgreen: . I'm not suggesting that it will solve this problem. I just posted this because you said that you couldn't defrag that drive.

Edited by wkavery

It seems obvious that something in the OS got corrupted. I wasn't suggesting that your HD might be bad. :blank:

Sometimes it is more time consuming to try to repair something like that then to just reformat the HD and reinstall everything :blink: . I'm not suggesting that at this point. I just thought that it would be good to be prepaired for that as a last resort.

BTW, yes, if your OS is corrupted it could cause other (sudden and catistrophic) software problems ;) .

Edited by wkavery
Guest MysticWinter

I tried using Diskeeper, it just gave me the same error about defragging

Diskeeper has detected that CHKDSK is scheduled to run on the volume:(D).

This is due to either a user request, or because the operating system has found errors in the file system. CHKDSK will run automatically during the next system reboot. Until CHKDSK is run, Diskeeper cannot defragment this volume.

oh my.. I guess I could format and reinstall to factory setting.. just, I have another hard drive and all the partitions, the last time I had all this mess, and formatted, took me weeks just to get it back up, couldn't get my partitoned recongized, tried to merge, more got lost.. I really didn't want to have to figure all that out again :( I don't just have XP, it's all bounded together with a factory re-install disks.

Any other ideas? :(

Just keep the topic alive ;) . One of these people will come up with something :P .

Some pretty smart people here. Most of them are probably young enough to be my grandkids :lol: . I'm really impressed with (some) of their knowledge and generousity with their time.

Don't let anybody knock this generation of young people. Not to me anyway.

Guest MysticWinter
impressed with (some) of their knowledge and generousity with their time

I agree, I was reading here looking for answers and noticed how so many people were so helpful and nice, so I joined :)

Joe: I'm not sure, I know my second hard drive is a maxtor, because I bought it, the first came with the computer, I can give you this tid bit of information, maybe you'll know from it? WDC WD1200BB-22CAA1

My first guess was Western Digital.. but not sure..

if it is a Western Digital, could you point me to the place of the dianostics?

Thanks

Mystic

Before you format, see if you can fix it with System File Checker (SFC). You will need your XP cd handy. Open a command prompt and type: sfc /scannow :)

Also check your task scheduler. Perhaps CHKDSK is set to run there. You can then remove it's entry.

EDIT: I just re-read and see that you do not have the actual XP cd. If SFC needs to replace a file, it should be located at C:\Windows\Options\Cabs

Guest MysticWinter

Y trying this now..

thank you thank you thank you :)

oh yhea.. it's not in the task scheduler, looked there :)

Edited by MysticWinter
Guest MysticWinter

I ran it.. it didn't give me any errors or anything.. just poofed once it was done, guess that mean's it's all okay..

so, when I format my c: drive, d and e are also on that physical drive, the restore cd will automatically partition the c and d, I added the e, when it does that, anyone know if I'm going to lose everything on d and e. also, how hard will it be to make it reconize my second hard drive, also partitioned with with f and g.

I feel like I'm talking in circles .. hope that made sense.. I don't know what else to do, I've tried so many things.. but I'm open for all ideas to avoid formatting..

Thanks so much for all your help,

Mystic

Go here and down load the enterprize system..It'll tell ya what ya need to know about your system, Not sure if ya got a WD but here's a link to the dianostics site

If you format C drive the rest of the drives should stay intact but I'm not familar how restore disks work

Edited by Joe C
Guest MysticWinter

that enterprize system thingy is pretty cool... thanks..

It is a western digital, all test passed fine, even checked my maxtor drive.. :)

So with the confirmed good news that my hard drive isn't croaking on me, I'm going to bed, I've been running tests on the computer all day, most of the night..

D: drive, the one giving me the trouble, if I move the programs from there to another drive (another physical hard drive) and just format it, think it would fix it? or is C: the one that needs to be formatted?

Mystic :snooze:

I reckon it wouldn't hurt to try to format the D drive, easy enough. Just left click on "my Computer" and right click on your selected drive(excluding C) and choose format

Edited by Joe C
  • 3 years later...

HELLO !!!!!!

ahhhh I have this same problem when booting:

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency

and I also clicked ona pdf which turned out to be a ms dos shortcut, I deleted it right away, but I take it I was too late considering you are having the same problem.

I take it the only way is a full system restore?

You can disable automatic CHKDSK in the Registry if you want to:

Disabling Chkdsk - Windows 2000 and XP

1. Run the Registry Editor i.e., REGEDIT

2. Under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following subkey:

\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager(Double click the folder)

3. Change the BootExecute entry to:

autocheck autochk *

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

You will still be able to run CHKDSK anytime you want to by going to Start/Run/type in chkdsk.exe

which should be done frequently anyway.

Edited by thehulk18

My pennies worth when this happended to me it turned out one of my ram boards was bad. Another possibilty if you added a another drive to an off the shelf system it could be you have a weak/failing power supply which is not providing enough power. To check the power supply download and run Everest Home Edition. If your power supply checks out then you can download and run memtest if you have a floppy drive get the older edition then leave it run over night.

• 2 years later...

I am appalled at the lack of knowledge and understanding portrayed by people who attempted to answer this question. Format the drive? Prevent Chkdsk from running? Run sfc?

It's as if people are grasping at straws just to post--and to get their "2 cents" on this forum. Unfortunately, it's just contributing to misinformation and will sorely mis-lead the uninitiated.

This error occurs when there are bad sectors on the hard drive and bad sectors cannot be repaired with sfc or by preventing chkdsk from running.

A great start is to follow the strategy here:

http://www.tunexp.com/tips/get_started/whe...scan_disk_gone/

This process will confirm the state of your hard drive and will let you make the necessary fixes.

There are many other good tools on the market. Once the disk is scanned and the bad sectors are marked by NTFS as unusable, the boot-time chkdsk process will end.

Edited by jim500c