Problem With Cable Speeds

Guest AZIROC

on 1 computer (mine) i am only getting 1-1.5 mb download, but on my other computer it gets 3-4mb. my computer is pretty much decked out, 2000xp, geforce4, 1 gb of ddr333, blah blah blah, but my other computer is only a 700 duron, fegorce2, 256pc133. i do have both computers cable going through a router, but cant figure out y 1 is quicker then the other. the both have the smae games/software on it (except this 1 has moer videos and songs) the otehr comptuers score is liek 478 and mine is 1159. what to thsoe #'s mean anyway?

Guest johnnyBuz

Ram also plays a big role in computer / cable speeds. I'm running a 1.3ghz, 256 RD ram, 32mb GeForce 2, 133mhZ bus, and some other stuff. My computer would actually be half decent, but my sister doesn't know how to use one. She has gotten so many viruses, destroyed my internet connection, screwed up my registry, and overheated the whole computer by leaving it on in 120' degree weather. So now my video card is pretty much screwed, so i can't play any new games online because I warp and chop. But i have Comcast® cable, and i'm supposed to be getting 1.5mb down / 128kb up, i usually get somewhere around there, but the upload is usually 100kb range which really sucks. I hope i helped you in some way.

peace,

-j0hn :nuke:

Ram also plays a big role in computer / cable speeds. I'm running a 1.3ghz, 256 RD ram, 32mb GeForce 2, 133mhZ bus, and some other stuff. My computer would actually be half decent, but my sister doesn't know how to use one. She has gotten so many viruses, destroyed my internet connection, screwed up my registry, and overheated the whole computer by leaving it on in 120' degree weather. So now my video card is pretty much screwed, so i can't play any new games online because I warp and chop. But i have Comcast® cable, and i'm supposed to be getting 1.5mb down / 128kb up, i usually get somewhere around there, but the upload is usually 100kb range which really sucks. I hope i helped you in some way.

peace,

-j0hn :nuke:

I havent done any specific testing on this but I dont think that the amount of RAM that you have in your system would effect the connection speed. The lack of ram might slow down the system performance and the way that applications run and load in but internet speed should not be affected.

Go Here

Try the various downloads on each machine, NOT simultaneous and see what the data transfer rate stabilizes at. This is gonna give you the most accurate comparison between what the machines will be able to receive. For best accuracy, try the 10MB downloads.