Spyware Article

chengrob

Here is an article that will be on the Pitstop site for a couple of months on SpyWare. I was really surprised to see that SpyWare is on 1/2 of the PC's that we are testing. I'm going to post some more info in the statistics section in the next few days. Still a lot more to do but hopefully the world will learn more about the Spyware.

Let me know your comments.

Rob

chenrob, nice to see ya' posting! How's that Bruce Built running? The article has some good points ie: don't need big brother spying on me. Guess thats why we have progs. like Spybot and Ad-Aware so we can try to maintain at least a small amount of our privacy while online. BTW love the new site!

:nospys::mrgreen: pcpitstop :rocks:

Well if that isn't the understatement of the new year!! :)

the ethics of spyware are questionable at best.

Glad ya had a real good time down south Rob,,but lets kick some butt on the spyware thing,,I hate the garbage no matter what flavor it is,,like you kinda stated in your state of the pit address,, it just flat ruins even the best of machines,,and if you have a marginal machine it will kill it even quicker.

So be getting that message out there my friend,,we will help ya all we can!! best of luck to ya!! :) v

Hi Rob,

Glad to see you back... We missed ya, my friend. How was Rio? In rememberance of your trip, I made this avatar for you... :)

Posted Image

And... Thank you for the mention of the Anti Spyware Brigade in your article.

Anti Spyware Brigade - Independent of PC Pitstop, a group of Pitstop users have created a separate forum to discuss spyware issues called the Anti Spyware Brigage. Come join forces with them.

I now understand why people are asking me where this forum is. I was wondering about that... :P

So are you going to change the name of the "viruses and spyware" forum to the "Antispyware Brigade" forum:

"Independent of PC Pitstop, a group of Pitstop users have created a separate forum to discuss spyware issues called the Anti Spyware Brigage."

I mean if were telling folks that there's a forum, then they should be able to find it

I just got off the phone with PC World and I was letting them know about our Spyware efforts. They were shocked that 50% of the PC's have spyware. I think that they might write an article about it. But there is still a lot of work if we are going to impact 50% of the people out there.

I'll put a hyperlink from the article to the spyware and viruses area.

We still have to educate people a lot more to the threat of SpyWare. I mean, how can Yahoo sell advertising space to Gator? Then the customer downloads Gator, and then Gator steals ad views from Yahoo? It is clear that Yahoo doesn't even get it.

Over the next couple months we are planning to have a special spyware section of our site, like we have DiskHealth and Antivirus. This will drive more awareness still. However, we have to be patient because it is part of a larger site redesign.

Rob

Rob,, I really admire your efforts on this subject!! its very important for folks to understand just how this stuff works,,I hope all goes real well and we can keep the ball rolling!! :) v

chengrob

We still have to educate people a lot more to the threat of SpyWare. I mean, how can Yahoo sell advertising space to Gator? Then the customer downloads Gator, and then Gator steals ad views from Yahoo? It is clear that Yahoo doesn't even get it.

I posted this site awhile back to see if anyone was using the blocker in their registery.

SPYWARE GUIDE

There is more to the site than just the blocker - this is some of the BEST education I have seen on the issue. They seem to be rather complete.

Just have to get people to go there and read about it !!!

* Maybe you could consider it for a pinned link ?

** I also applaud your efforts to educate pc users. Seems that alot of people before getting involved in a forum, have NO idea what you are talking about when referring to spyware ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have to say guys, I know where you are getting the 50% stat but it seems kinda low. I install cablemodems so I see a lot of computers in the hands of the internet disabled. I run spybot on ALL of em and i average 200 problems found. 200! I think im gonna stary showing people that article Rob, and I wish that there was a way to get that article into the hands of people who don't know that they have a problem. Fully 25% of the problems I run into are just spyware and Spybot fixes em in 10 minutes. Keep up the good work.

• 1 month later...

I have a good pop-up detector that has only let 2 or 3 pop-ups by. It also scans your system for viruses every now-and-then. If you want me to send it to you PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it. It's called eAnthology Manager. :nospys:

• 2 weeks later...

:mrsgreen:

5 people who had all kinds of problems from dialling up , screen freezes, crashes, disconections, slow running etc........had over 2.300 " items found " between them just by running adaware.....the sad thing was they were all blaming their isp or computers because they were brand new pcs they had.

:nospys: its about time someone put a warning leaflet in with the pcs when they are bought :nospys:

Archived