Diskeeper Lite & Spybot R&d

Guest rudeboy

Guest rudeboy

I downloaded Diskeeper Lite (30-day trial version), but after 1 session I couldn't run it anymore, and when I wanted to run the Windows defrag program, I got redirected to Diskeeper again (which didn't work). I even got an mmc-error message. Upon uninstalling Diskeeper Lite, I'm still given the runaround when trying to run (windows)defrag. Than the other thing: I had Spybot run a full scale scan, then remove ALL spyware. On my next visit to pitstop, the first thing I saw was AGAIN a pop-up, courtesy of 'www.flowgo.com'. That struck me as very strange, as Spybot seemed to me to be very thorough. Murphy's law? :blink: id=VS7BWWQRJB0SLG6B

Spybot is an after-the-fact spyware cleanup utility. It won't prevent new popunders or spyware from infesting your system. Also, it is very dangerous to just tell Spybot to remove everything. In some cases you will wipe out your Internet access. Usually you just want to do the stuff in red.

You may want to go back a couple of days using System Restore.

I'll move this to the spyware section.

Dave, would you please clarify "in red"? Some of the items that come up when I run Spybot have a red exclamation point AND the item name is red as well. Other items just have a red exclamation point. I'm just curious. I read everything before I remove it. :blink:

They have a red ! but their names are in GREEN.

Spyware will have their names in RED.

* after you finish a scan, you will (hopefully) get a message at the top saying NO SPYBOTS FOUND - that is what you WANT to see. Then there is a line and other things (like the ones you mentioned) listed in green with the red ! listed underneath the line, DO NOT REMOVE THOSE. ONLY items listed at the top of the screen above the line and names in RED.

** In other words, if it says CONGRATULATIONS NO SPYBOTS FOUND,

don't remove / delete anything.

** In other words, if it says CONGRATULATIONS NO SPYBOTS FOUND,

don't remove / delete anything.

I've never seen the congratulations message, it's always found spyware on my machine. :woot:

houmamiss if you change your mind about something you've deleted hit the recovery button. :)

:P i remove EVERYTHING! course i do make certain i know just what it is im removing! plus you can restore something if you goof! n it doesnt actually remove logs, just hides them.

im careful, but i find myself tellin ppl only remove names in red, too :mrgreen::woot: idont wanna be responsible if THEY goof!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Geez ... I always get the Congratatulations message - boring huh ? ( don't get to kill any evilness ! *S* )

The first few times I used it, I did remove everything with no problems, the listed items seemed harmless, since reading all posted on this site, I don't anymore. I have not noticed a difference - deleted stuff like Nero & IE lists, etc.

I don't know but it seems that once you purge, they are gone ...

( if you are not having any problems, I would not worry about what you did in the past. Personal choice, but, only red in the future ... )

*The green is not spyware, however, if you are sharing a computer and doing it to "cover tracks", there are better programs out there for that purpose. Even if it is just to get rid of past lists and not paranoia, try MRU- Blaster.

MRU-Blaster ( freeware ! )

Thank you for the info. My system has been having a run of "program not responding" errors for the past few days. I've checked and rechecked for viruses and spyware, run the system diagnostic tests, and tested here at the Pit (of course!) and everything LOOKS okay. I haven't been able to figure out why the errors have been occuring, though. I got to wondering if I had accidentally purged something I shouldn't have. :unsure:

Program Not Responding

Sometimes when you try to shut down, a dialog will appear that says "This application is not responding". The name of the application should be shown in the title bar. Generally this means the program has hung up due to a software bug or because the hardware it requires is not operating properly. If this happens frequently and the software is an application, try reinstalling the application. If the software is related to a device, such as a Zip drive or web camera, see if you can obtain updated drivers for the device.

? I guess it would depend on what OS, which programs, Etc.

Hi all

I uninstalled SpyBot S&D it never finds anything I always get the congradulations nothing found on your PC. I use Zone alarm Pro, with Pest Patrol. I also use Ad-Aware, Ad-Aware may find one thing once in awhile. then if I use Spybot S&D it wont ever find anything so I uninstalled it , Im sure it's a great program but if it won't do anything for me I don't see the need to have it . Maybe if I ever have a prob with my pc I may install it for a check to see if it finds anything , BTW I had the beta of Spybot S&D with the immunizer thing and it was gone one day i went to the setup and put a tic on check for any new beta version update and it won't find it again , do they still offer this ? That is another reason I uninstalled spybot S&D I did like the Beta version .

Mary - I run Windows Xp Home Edition. Some of the programs that have had "not responding" errors are Internet Explorer, Incredimail, Windows Media Player (the most recent version - I wish I could have the old version back!), and one or two others that I can't remember. Would it help if I posted a test?

Your test looks good to me - perhaps post a copy of it in the test result section and maybe someone will spot something ...

Volt is right about the Incredimail aspect, alot of people have problems with it.

However, you are have not responding errors in numerous places so there has to be more to it ...

The WMP - I replaced mine with an older one from :

oldversion.com

I do wish I could be more helpful but I cannot spot any problems.

Volt, I thought chatting wasn't allowed during tests! ;)

Actually, I turned off every unnecessary program I could think of before I tested, so I don't know what all that was about.

I didn't receive any "program not responding" errors yesterday or today. Maybe the situation has resolved itself. Or maybe it got scared cuz it knew the Pit was workin' on it! :woot:

Archived