Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

humpd

1st Email Antivirus

IS anyone familiar with an email antivirus program called 1ST EMAIL ANTIVIRUS? It works in conjunction with your AV email scan to prevent viruses that propogate in ways not associated with attachments. I am looking for some AV help here because a SobigE and a iFrame virus got through my AVG, at least according to the on-line Panda virus scan.

Guest Donna

I have never heard of it. Do you have a link to where to get it or info about it?

Guest Donna

Did my own search. ;)

Previously known as Email Not HTML, 1st Email AntiVirus strips HTML from emails and converts them into plain-text format. The program also compresses attachments to ensure your mail client's 'auto-preview' feature doesn't execute them.

These functions can help prevent viruses infecting your PC, by preventing any infected attachments from launching and removing any harmful scripts/ActiveX controls/applets and web bugs from incoming emails.

The program sits between your mail client and Pop3 server, converting emails on the fly. A system tray icon allows easy changes to settings.

oh, you were not there Jacee. :)

So you can pay $20 to uncheck 2 options in your e-mail client? Wow I guess you really can sell ice cunes to eskimos.

I think I would use mailwasher. That would provide slightly more protection by allowing you to preview mail from the server and bounce it if it is unwanted or has a virus.

As an aside I am using AVG & I was getting 20 viruses a day ( I am on a lot of mailing lists) and didn't /haven't gotten SoBig. Maybe it was early before the sigs were updated or something. All I know is AVG has worked so far.

countrydave55: I have the options in my Netscape email client unchecked and I have AVG scanning all incoming mail and I run a virus scan every day of the entire hard drive. I think you may have hit on something because these viruses may have "invaded" when I was not scanning email (AVG 6 used to be unable to scan Netscape mail) but I do not understand how AVG missed them during my daily scans. I guess all 1st Email Anti Virus does is what Netscape already does to prevent virus attacks so I will not be getting it but if AVG did indeed miss these viruses, maybe I need a second layer of scanning. Thanks for your input.

It is usually not a good idea to have more than 1 A/V running.

Did you check to see if the the identified viruses were in quarantine? I think that is the default setting for AVG. Panda (or any A/V) should identify the presence of an virus if it is quarantined.

Yes I did. As a matter of fact, I deleted the quaranteened files prior to using the Panda on-line scan. I do not use 2 AV's at the same time. I disabled AVG prior to using Panda's on line scan.