Sign in to follow this  
chengrob

Let's Get Going! Anti Spyware Brigade

If someone is responding to you, that they don't appreciate being spammed. That is a good thing! Think about it, how often do you respond to spam? Never, I just hit delete. (Actually, I have a special spam folder, and move all my spams there so I can track them all). The fact that they are responding is that they are not sure what to do. You should just respond calmly and courteously on how their company is contributing to the spread of spyware throughout the internet. I've responded consistently in this manner (no matter how irritated they were at first), and the results have been great.

Now all that said, this is NOT spam. My definition of spam is an automated, unsolicited email campaign for commercial purposes. Let's tackle each element individually.

Automated - This is not automated. Our users are going to a lot of trouble to make their opinions known to these companies. The emails are coming from multiple email addresses that are clearly tied back to different people.

Unsolicited - Of course, it is unsolicited. These are busy people, and spyware is probably the last thing on their mind. Some of the people may not even be responsible for their company's spyware use. That's why we encourage everyone to be polite and courteous when dealing with these people.

Commercial - Our purpose is not commercial. Our purpose is to promote awareness to Gator's advertisers of the problems associated with spyware. We also encourage people to visit our web site to learn more, but the incremental revenue can be measured in pennies. Lastly, we are documenting our purposes 100% in the open in this forum and on our web site. So our purposes are not hidden nor are they commercial.

So in conclusion, if someone is responding to you and they say it is spam. Embrace the opportunity to communicate with them in a courteous manner. I am finding that most people do not like spyware, they are just unaware on how their company is making the problem worse. Once they learn that, they are happy that we sent them the mail

What if they dont care and report you to your ISP? ;)

By the way, I did reply to them and told them that its not spam and refered them to the website where they can obtain more info...

IntraTech,

I just typed in 'Ram Sales' into Overture, and their listing came out #1. Not only are they a big customer of Overture but they are paying more than anyone! We need to make them aware of how their marketing money is being diverted to Gator and hence contributing to the spread of spyware on the internet.

As a general rule, when someone responds and they state they do not advertise with Gator, this is a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY to educate them. Just make sure you do your homework first at http://www.overture.com .

Good Luck and thanks for your support.

Rob

AeroMan,

I am not familiar with how an ISP boots a person for spamming, but I would imagine that there would have to be some proof. You have sent one email to a hundred different companies. That is not spamming.

If I were an ISP, and a company reported you to me, I would do some research before booting you. If the company did the research they would quickly learn that you are not spamming and that would be the end of it.

But to be honest, I don't think it would ever come to that. Like I said in a prior post, I don't think these people know how to respond. People don't respond to spam, and these people are.

In conclusion, don't sweat it. You are not doing anything WRONG, and I am sure that your ISP will see it that way also.

Rob

Reply from Capital One

Thank you for contacting Capital One.

We appreciate your feedback and have forwarded your comments to the

appropriate department. Should you have additional comments or concerns to

provide, please feel free to contact us here at [email protected]

Sincerely,

T. McCoy

eCorrespondence

Capital One Services®

I sent mine and also got the same stuff as everyone else. But This one, [email protected], is local. So if email doesn't get delivered... I'll stop by their house and talk to them. And yes, it is a house. I can tell just by looking up the address on Mapquest. It's in a residential neighborhood, where businesses are few and far between, and I know this neighborhood as I used to live there.

I need to do this when I have more time. I just started sending a batch. Started with 5, then bounced it up to 7, then went to send it to 10 (seeing how many I could do at one time), but I was purposely using Hotmail instead of my bonafide email address because I didn't want all that crapola coming back to my regular email address (I just got this address not too long ago & it's been pretty spam-free so far...). Well, I got in a hurry because time is limited for me during the week, and forgot to change the address in OE to the Hotmail address and sent a batch out using my regular address. :blink:

I got so MAD at myself!!! :(

At any rate, I need to do this when I can take the time to do it right... -kd5-

Guest Realisty

I got another response back =>> [email protected]

Hello,

We appreciate the concern, but we have no affiliation with any type of

Spyware. We have thoroughly checked all of our advertising companies. We

apologize for any inconvenience, but this is not something that is

originating with our website.

Thank you,

Support Department

Here's the response I got back from Dana Anthony - Primere Bankcard.com

"more spam"

Go figure! I think most of these people do not actually realize that they are in fact involved with GAIN in some shape or form. I do think that this is going to end up as a "harrasment" case if we all continue to email these company's. Maybe someone should look into a Petition type of Form Letter that we can all sign somehow. Any thoughts?

Maybe someone should look into a Petition type of Form Letter that we can all sign somehow. Any thoughts?

Nobody pays any attention to those things. They're too easy to fake...

Here is a reply from Orbitz:

Dear Mr. *edited*,

Thank you for your comments regarding Orbitz' use of Gator Advertising and Information Network (GAIN).  We appreciate you taking the time to write us about your views.

I referred your comments to our marketing department for a response to the issues, which you have raised.  We have found that Gator is a widely-used type of software for advertising and marketing purposes, and is used by a variety of companies.  

Orbitz is a company that strives to use technology in the most efficient manner possible within the bounds of all appropriate legal constraints and good business practices.  We believe our use of Gator is in line with our goals, and we do not expect to make any changes at this time regarding this issue.

Again, thank you for sharing your views with Orbitz.

Sincerely,

Lisa Gerbick

Orbitz Customer Relations

This from [email protected]

speaking of spyware, I notice your site sets up on my computer if I visit you as well.  Isn't that "do as I say, not as I do"  Please keep both of my e-mails out of and off your system.  Thank you.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with your concerns.  Dick Blick Holdings, Inc. and its subsidiaries do not knowingly participate in spyware advertising.  It is apparent that Gator in particular is using some other channel for marketing our site, but this is not with our permission.  We will investigate the matter and take appropriate action.

Regards,

Eric S. Meidel

Corporate Internet Manager

Dick Blick Holdings, Inc

And this from [email protected]

Dennis:

I agree with you but I am not aware of advertising any spy ware on my web site. Could you please be a bit more specific and I will follow through by getting it removed. I have no idea how it got there.

Looking forward to your reply.

Mike

Michael Hoffman

Canada North Lodge, Ltd

http://www.canada-north.com

(Summer) May 1 thru Oct 31)

800-890-7903

807-222-3234

PO Box 279

Ear Falls, Ontario, Canada P0V 1T0

Edited by intratech2000

Here is a reply from Orbitz:

Dear Mr. *edited*,

Thank you for your comments regarding Orbitz' use of Gator Advertising and Information Network (GAIN).  We appreciate you taking the time to write us about your views.

I referred your comments to our marketing department for a response to the issues, which you have raised.  We have found that Gator is a widely-used type of software for advertising and marketing purposes, and is used by a variety of companies.  

Orbitz is a company that strives to use technology in the most efficient manner possible within the bounds of all appropriate legal constraints and good business practices.  We believe our use of Gator is in line with our goals, and we do not expect to make any changes at this time regarding this issue.

Again, thank you for sharing your views with Orbitz.

Sincerely,

Lisa Gerbick

Intratech, you should write them back and ask each of the salaried personnel to load Gator onto their PC's both at Work and Home and see what the effects are. Then you can talk "efficiency" with them :P

I was playing around with Overture and searching for diff things. Has anyone heard of these sites and are they also helping gator..

Searching for browsers brought up a sponsored link for:

http://www.mozillaoncd.com/

Searching for Tech Support brought up

www.askdrtech.com as the #2 sponsored link - isnt this site listed on pcpitstop also?

Searching for computers parts brought up sites like

ebay.com

iomega.com

compusa.com

bizrate.com

All of them have sponsored listings..But does a sponsored listing mean that they are helping Gator. There are tons of websites with sponsored links..

I think Canada North is legit and should be removed form the list....I just visited their site and there where no Gator adverts or popups.

speaking of spyware, I notice your site sets up on my computer if I visit you as well.  Isn't that "do as I say, not as I do"  Please keep both of my e-mails out of and off your system.  Thank you.

What is that supposed to mean. Can someone translate it? :P

What is that supposed to mean. Can someone translate it? :P

I was hoping someone was gonna do that for me :P

Het guys, I just notice that the reply from PreimereBank.com (Dana Anthony) has a "cc" on it to Ralph Duke

[email protected]

Maybe this is his/her Supervisor and might take it a bit more seriously? If you guys wanna copy him on future emails to Premierbankcard, be my guest :P

Reminder all she replied to me with was "more spam". :mrsgreen:

ive had the same reply as every one else from Lisa Gerbick

and one from [email protected] spam

if rduke sent the word spam back to 300 or so pit members individualy then wouldnt that make him/her a spammer :lol:

curiosty will eventually lead all these people to the pit stop forums and then we will be able to get some proper answers from them.

Perhaps he's dumb and he meant the tests

i wonder if it found any spyware :P

Edited by Spyware Hater

Quote from Orbitz:

You're going to have to expect this type of reaction from some of these companies. The person that said "more spam" doesn't have a clue. These people obviously do. They know spyware is legal, they know it has the potential to make them lots of money, and they are not going to stop advertising with Gator. But they need to learn that spying on people is not a good business practice, even if it is legal.

And this is why I always encourage people to write letters to their elected representitives to get the laws that allow spyware changed. Some companies will stop doing it voluntarily. These are usually the ones that have been tricked or hijacked by Gator advertising. But there are going to be others like Orbitz that will not stop unless they are forced to do so by law. And in order for that to happen there needs to be a major letter writing campaign.

Ax I agree with your statement and campaign but since it is the Bush administration's goal to spy on citizens and reduce regulations that can inconvenience business do you think that there will be a positive reception to a suggestion that spyware be banned by the government?

Hey, at least we all know the government is spying on us! :mrgreen:

The spyware companies tend to make the same old argument that it's all their in the EULA and that users have nobody to blame but themselves if they install this software. As we've seen from the posts in this forum over many months, many if not most users are unaware that they ever "consented" to installing this junk. It's the disclosure part during the install that seems broken to me, the process makes it way too easy to click a "Yes" button and give away a lot for almost no benefit.

Canada North

September 3, 2003

To Whom It May Concern:

In the last few days I have been getting e-mail replies stating that Canada North Lodge is promoting the use of spyware thru Gator, Overture or some third party thru our advertising.

Everyone can be assured that to the best of our knowledge has not subscribed to or paid for such promotion. We are now actively involved in checking out where this is coming from and will do our best to make sure that it is discontinued as soon as possible.

I would like the thank you for bringing this to our attention.  As a webmaster myself I author some 10 other sites besides our own site - I can assure you that I hate these activities and will do everything in my power to see that we get to the bottom of this activity.

Please feel free to keep me informed or feel free to give me a call at 800-890-7903.

Sincerely

Michael Hoffman (Pres. - Canada North Lodge, Ltd.)

Michael Hoffman

Canada North Lodge, Ltd

http://www.canada-north.com

(Summer) May 1 thru Oct 31)

800-890-7903

807-222-3234

PO Box 279

Ear Falls, Ontario, Canada P0V 1T0