Sign in to follow this  
chengrob

Let's Get Going! Anti Spyware Brigade

To my knowledge, only a few of us from the ABS have sent emails to the boycott list. Me, Donna, Stinger, and Eagle. I think that we are making an impact, and quite a few companies are becoming more aware of the dangers of spyware, but there is POWER in numbers.

I have also created a new page that will make it easier to email these companies.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/spycheck/addresses.asp

Combined with the letter, it should only take 5 minutes to email everyone. Believe me, it is all for a very worth cause.

Thanks everyone.

Rob

Rob, Just finished mine. MS Outlook will not allow all emails in 1 letter so I broke it into 4. The automated responses are already flowing in. Lending Tree's is really stupid they think I want a bank loan, lol even assigned me a case number.

Edited by Jim71GTO

Hi Jim,

Nice car. Reminds me of a good friend of mine that drove a GOAT!

I got quite a few automated responses as well. Hopefully, we get to a critical mass so that we can start getting noticed at the bigger companies. I believe that we have tweaked the list so that you shouldn't get any emails bouncing. Let me know if you do.

Rob

Hi Jim,

Nice car. Reminds me of a good friend of mine that drove a GOAT!

I got quite a few automated responses as well. Hopefully, we get to a critical mass so that we can start getting noticed at the bigger companies. I believe that we have tweaked the list so that you shouldn't get any emails bouncing. Let me know if you do.

Rob

Rob thanks. Yes, I love my GOAT. lol

I work for a large coporation and this will only work if all of us write the emails. they will not pay attention to a handful, so come on people get involved! thanks Rob

ok ive just opened a new email account and sent the letter off to all those companies on the list .

:nospys:

one has not been delivered

Subject: please be aware your company web site could unknowingly be causing computer problems

Sent: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 12:55:50 -0700

did not reach the following recipient(s):

[email protected] on Tue, 2 Sep 2003 12:54:25 -0700

The recipient name is not recognized

[email protected] tree auto response

Thank you for your inquiry.

We value your business and expect to be able to respond to your inquiry in approximately 24 hours.

i bet they dont :lol:

Guest Donna

Actually Lending tree will get back to you. They will tell you they don't advertise with Gator/overture and then offer to give you a loan.

Cokemadness was one of the ones that I had come back as undeliverable.

[email protected] on Tue, 2 Sep 2003 12:09:30 -0700

The recipient name is not recognized

Yep, Cokemadness must have got fed up with our emails, lol

<[email protected]>

Permanent Failure: Bad destination system address

Delivery last attempted at Tue, 2 Sep 2003 19:11:24 -0000

looks like this addy is bad too.

We don't use Gator of any on that does !!!!!! Chris Pignotti [[email protected]]

Hey an actual response. however, it doesn't appear that english is his first language.

yet another employee of pc pit stop drumming up business? [email protected]

check that response. not even sure who that dude or company is. maybe he used a personal account to get a dig in.

I have just sent the e-mail out using comcast and so far all is well I have also posted a link in three other forums I am in about the letter that should help a bit :)

I just took Coke off the list. They said that they had used a few months ago Overture for an ad campaign, but they have no long will use Overture or Gator because it is against their privacy policy. They handled the entire issue seriously and professionally.

As for the rest of them. Let's go get em.

Jim, I noticed that aol address too. We got the email addresses from two primary sources. 1) from their web sites, and 2) from their web site registration.

Since I sent my mail out on Friday, which was before a holiday weekend, I am surprised how little feedback I have been getting. Maybe this is just the calm before the storm. Or they are just waiting until a critical mass of people send them a note. So let's get cracking.

Guest Donna

Rob,

Did you recieve anything back from the Lending Tree? They sent me a 1 800 # to call to speak with advertising.

Would you like it. I just don't know enough about this to be comfortable and sure about what I was saying to them.

Donna

Guest Donna

Rob or Volt.

I need some help with thisn email I got back. Do you have any info I can return to this gentleman?

Thanks for your note.

It seems you have Bartleby.com confused with another

site. We have never purchased any advertising in the

four years since our founding--either indirectly or

directly.

Perhaps another site is "spoofing" us, in which case

they are infringing on our trademark, which we

vigorously defend.

I will, however, investigate to determine the

confusion. Any additional information you can provide

will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Steven van Leeuwen

President, Bartleby.com, Inc.

I got auto responses from the following companies.

Travelocity

SunSetter

Time Life

Western Union

Create Card

Capital One

CDW

FootSmart

Coastal Contacts

Lending Tree

I have been waiting for a real human to reply in all instances. Since it was just after a holiday weekend, they might be getting unburied from all their other emails.

Hello, and thank you for using Travelocity.

We received your e-mail, however, it appears to be meant for another

party. Please re-direct your e-mail to the intended recipient.

Regards,

Melissa M

Travelocity Customer Service

www.travelocity.com/

Edited by Spyware Hater

Just sent them out and only had a few that didn't make it. Interested to see if those that said they will get back to you actually will. :P:nospys:

Donna,

It seems like Bartleby's should be removed from the list. I'll take them off and you can inform them. I think they are the same as the Quotations Page.

AeroMan,

I'll fix it.

Let's keep track of the emails that bounce so we can keep updating the list to make it right. I think that we are making a difference.

Gateway Bounced...but maybe its a temporary problem.

----- Transcript of session follows -----

<[email protected]>... Deferred

Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours

Will keep trying until message is 3 days old

Final-Recipient: RFC822; [email protected]

Action: delayed

Last-Attempt-Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 21:05:47 -0600

Will-Retry-Until: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 16:58:52 -0600

Apart from automated responses I got a threat from Chris Pignotti <[email protected]>. "This is the 10th email I've received from your organization today . We have nothing to do with Gator . Please stop emailing us or we will call the proper authorities .

Chris ,"

I feel like a spammer. :(

Country Dave,

I received the same tone in response to my mailing last Friday. If you do an overture search on cd-rom duplication, it clearly states that US Digital Media/CD ROMS2Go is doing business with Overture as a sponsored lister.

The key point is that many advertisers do not realize that they are helping to fund Gator. I respond gently and positively telling them that their relationship with Overture is causing their ads to be served by GAIN. Then I send them again to :

http://www.pcpitstop.com/spycheck/advertisers.asp

All,

Let's keep an eye on the Gateway situation. It did not bounce for me, but if it continues to bounce we can find another email address for Gateway.

Here is a reply from: "Dana Anthony" <[email protected]>

spam

and she also forwarded the email to: "Ralph Duke" <[email protected]>

This does not seem good. Alot of people think that this is spam and eventually they are going to start reporting the people who are sending this to their email providers and ISP's. I dont want to get introuble :P

If PCPitstop wants to continue this, they should come up with some measures to prevent their members from getting in trouble with their ISP for sending "spam" ;)

I suggest setting up a main mailing form so that all emails always come from the same address (@pcpitstop.com) but can be signed by individual members.

Edited by aeroman10

I got this response from [email protected]

Hello,

We appreciate the concern, but we have no affiliation with any type of Spyware. We have thoroughly checked all of our advertising companies. We apologize for any inconvenience, but this is not something that is originating with our website.

Thank you,

Support Department

Oh...I got the exact same response Aeroman from that company :blink:

Edited by intratech2000

Guest Realisty

I sended out that letter to that list and replies are rolling in and some are already accusing me of spamming and don't see the reason what the big deal is about advertising with overture so i guess they don't read the whole email :erm:

and i got a bounced email =>> Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 5.1.1 <[email protected]>... User unknown

and another 1 =>> Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 554 5.5.6 <[email protected]> Message rejected by content filter.

Edited by Realisty