Change Mode

New Computer Or Upgrade?

NascarFan19

My daughter's computer at school is an Emachine ( I know I know ) 566i with 192 megs of ram and 7.5 gig hard drive. I was thinking of buying another computer and letting her take this one. An EMachine T1840 with 384 megs of ram and 40 gig hard drive. I then thought that another hard drive for hers might be the best way to go. She just wants more storage area. Any suggestions?

if all she is going to use it for is school work and surfing the web, then she shouldn't need a new motherboard. The computer should be in good enough condition, with a new hard drive and some more ram it should be like a new computer :)

NascarFan19,

Advertising is fine for a paint job on a race car, but if the advertising effected performance of the car, how long do you think a driver would sit still for that? At the very least, he'd change sponsors... And maybe even change teams. Ya know what I mean?

Emachines are notorious for all the performance effecting junk they pre-install that's very difficult to get rid of. It can be done, but sometimes it's difficult. You need to get Ad-Aware and see what all kinds of garbage they dumped in there. :nospys:

At the very least, I'd say get a bigger hard drive, max out the memory, and despy the thing. But if anything nasty lingers and can't be removed, I'd have to recommend a new non-proprietary computer.

Hey Guru and AX....my mind must have been elsewhere when I said Mobo for her's. I meant a larger hard drive, not mobo. and more ram too. Yep...musta been thinkin about Daytona coming up soon. :lol: If I go with upgrading hers rather getting a new one for me, we will do a complete restore and add on Spybot or something to help keep it clean. I am still not certain which I will do yet. I appreciate the input you guys have given.

WC

:nospys: