Change Mode

M.2 SSD drive issues

dickster

Running a 2.5 SSD (256gb) as my os drive. I also have a Crucial 1tb M.2 drive that I use for storage and for my virtualbox folder. For about the last 4-5 months the 1tb SSD will just disappear. The only way I can get it back is to pull the side off the pc and remove and reinstall the drive. Then it works fine until the next time it decides to shut off. Tried a reformat and reinstall of everything but no help. The drive is only about 8 months old so I doubt it's bad.

Any SSD guys out there that might have a clue as to what the problem is?  TIA

This isn't a solution, but it might save you from having to pull things apart.

Next time it happens, open the device manager (type devmgmt.msc in the run box.) and go to   IDE ATA/ATPI controllers.  Drop down the box and right click on your controller channel and uninstall the device.  Reboot your system and it should restart it.  No screw driver required.

Not sure which flavor of Linux you are running but running command line and using lsusb and lspci to see listed devices and mountpoints or lspci -nnk for drivers; you could also see if 'hardinfo' is available in the software repo; like device manager but for Linux.

Yep, can't mount or unmount it since I can't see it. Going to try a usb enclosure to see if the drive stays alive.

nigsy, hardinfo doesn't show the drive and it's not listed in the bios. The only way I can get it to show again is the remove it from the slot and then reinstall it.

4 hours ago, dickster said:

nigsy, hardinfo doesn't show the drive and it's not listed in the bios

Have you got Gparted installed? Run it and see if you can manually mount it from there. If not then I would go with an external USB enclosure as you've mentioned - but it sounds like there's an issue with the drive.

Since I run linux I wouldn't see it in windows.😁  The only windows is in my virtualbox and that is on the SSD drive.

It wasn't showing earlier when I checked so I pulled it and put it in the enclosure. Seems to be working for now and the virtualbox is running. Hopefully it stays that way.

And THANKS.

Well, the drive does the same thing. Disappears every so often. But since I have the external enclosure plugged into the front usb port it's real easy to just unplug and replug. No more having to pull the pc apart to fix the problem.