Change Mode

PC Matic updates Firefox

New PC Matic user here.  Tried installing PC Matic on an old 32 bit desktop running Windows XP.  Installation seemed to go OK but when PC Matic launched I received a long message saying basically that it could not find server or DNS error.  Contacted PC Matic support and they sent me a long list of things to do to correct this problem, mainly a list of things involving fixes for Internet Explorer.  Since I use Firefox I did not try the fixes and decided to try PC Matic on a 64 bit Windows 8.1 laptop.  Installation went OK and I started a scan.  The scan took about an hour and downloaded almost 700 MB of data.  After the scan I noticed that Firefox and Adobe Acrobat had been "upgraded" to the latest versions.  Is this normal operating procedure for PC Matic?  I really do not want any programs updated without my consent.

Hola @oldvetteguy and :wpcm:

All of our product support is done through our email-based Help Desk that can be reached at https://www.pcmatic.com/support/ or now, from within the PC Matic application. Our Help Desk is the official source, and fastest way, to receive support for PC Matic products. If you require telephone and or remote support, we offer this through our PC Matic+ service. More info on it can be found at https://www.pcmatic.com/plus/

The steps provided to resolve your first issue, while do address things involving Internet Explorer, it has nothing to do with what browser you prefer to use. If you still would like to attempt getting PC Matic installed and running on your old XP machine, please continue with the support trail yall have going already.

The behavior you described  was accurate.

Firefox and Adobe Acrobat had been "upgraded" to the latest versions

We patch/upgrade old out of date programs that are common to most people's computer usage, this is done to help prevent a known vulnerability from being exploited in one of these software packages we address. If this is something you do not want taking place, you may disable this feature from within the PC Matic application by clicking "Options", then click on the "Update Vulnerable Apps" button to the right. 

image.png

Tx 🤠