Change Mode

Weird issue folding (Causing lockup of pc)

Can't understand this. I'm running folding on just my GPU. Within the last 3 weeks the pc has been locking up after folding for about 2 hours. Thinking it was my video card I swapped it out for my old 650Ti. Same thing happened. Opened system monitor in my linux OS and starting folding, I see one cpu core jump up to 100%. Why is this since I don't fold on the cpu.

Not sure what is going on. Need to get this working the right way again. Any ideas?   TIA

What Linux OS are you running? I'm on OpenSuse and they don't support my Video Card anymore - So could be why it's switching to CPU. I guess you've checked temps and throttled folding back to see if that has any effect?

Running Mint 19.2 Cinnamon. It's been running folding for about 7 months with no problem. My other pc running the same OS with a gtx1660 card hasn't had any problems. And both are running the same nvidia drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to be running ok with the 650Ti but not with the 1650 Super. Not sure what the problem is. Don't want to RMA the 1650 only to have them tell me nothing is wrong with the card. Kinda thinking it might be a PSU issue, but don't have an extra to test with.

I really need to break down and buy me a new PSU. I'm not lying when I tell you I'm running a 750W PC Power and Cooling Silencer model....no joke.  They made the best back in the day and this proves it though it's only been in actual use the last 4 or 5 years as I kept it in the closet...lol.  Gone thru 2 other supposed higher end PSU's but this unit has been rock solid.