Can I build my own computer from old Dell Desktop?

I have an old Dell desktop (DELL DESKTOP PC COMPUTER P4 2.8 GHZ & LCD XP PRO) that I haven't used since 2015. I am now in the market for a desktop for basically hosting a podcast and using for basic business needs.  I don't play games but will be using it for videos.  Is it possible to build/upgrade this computer to what I need?  I've attached a few photos of the system.  In addition, I have no experience building computers but I'm very interested in learning.

20200821_152541.jpg

20200821_152645.jpg

20200821_152618.jpg

20200821_152553.jpg

Hola @SWAC86 and :wpcm:

That dino would hardly play streaming videos these days, chances are, your smartphone you took the pics with is more powerful than it. As for upgrading it, that case is super proprietary and will use very few , standard pc components. You're better off buying a newer prebuilt that's been refurbed(if you're trying to save money).

If you'd like, post the software you'll use most and your budget and I'll see what I can scare up for ya that fits the bill.

Tx 🤠

I used to upgrade these years ago!! Used to by obsolete stock from companies that were upgrading their IT.

I would stick a nice Linux Distro on there; Mint would work well on it.

Upgrading parts is difficult but not impossible - It will probably use DDR2 ram - ebay is your friend there.

You could pick up a cheap SSD drive for more speed. The issue as Tx eludes to is graphics - It's a while since I've played with these old DELLs but i know a lot of the hardware was designed specifically to fit the case so you will need to check the physical space available for graphics upgrades; and again you're looking at a retro card not some blinding new, all the whistles card.

They normally have decent Pentium CPUs so for your needs that should suffice.

I'm with Tx though - It'll probably be better in the long run to buy a cheap refurb; but if you're interested in having a go keep posting!!

Lookin at the stickers on the rear of the case, it's a 2.4ghz Pentium 4 w/512gb ram and a 40gb hdd. I REALLY don't think it's worth putting any money into. @nigsyis right, a lightweight Linux distro might actually run alright on there. It's free and may be worth a shot, if for nothing else, at least you tried. ;)

Tx 🤠

• 2 weeks later...

Dell machines use very specific designed motherboards, probably nothing much else would fit in there without a ton of modification to the case and all.

Best use for it? Turn it into a custom router for insane internet speeds!