JustinP526

Anyone having problems with their client?

I'm running client 7.6.13 on Win10 2004 (no skipped updates), my client just randomly stopped running with no errors and for no apparent reason. Get it to start back up and it continues CPU wu just fine, but threw away good GPU wu at around 92% complete and now downloading a new one. Just lost out on ~70k points! 🤬

Is there a newer client I should use? Or an older one? Issues with Windows bugs?

Oof, that stinks and sounds like a fluke thing, I've not had that happen on mine.

Something's changed following the latest Windows update. One of my GPU's, the 1080 now only performs at about 50%, the 970 seems fine. Changed them around but still the same. I'm also spending a lot of time waiting for WU's. This has resulted in my PPD dropping to about half what it used to be despite running 24/7

@Char did you enable the gpu scheduling in Win10 or did you leave things be? 

@Tx Redneck Played around with several drivers and GPU scheduling - no joy. It seems previously a 1080 and 970 in the same system was able to fold on full power without any problems. The client picked up and resulted WU's with little delay.

Now the 1080 only performs aruond 50% and I can go ages without any work units, even sending WU's isnt't going smoothly anymore - check my stats, 3 WU's for  a total of 1574 points ! I think these were 204k WU's at the time of completion.

If it doesn't sort iself out over the next few days, I think I might pause whilst the issues are fixed

Today (so far) I had 2 CPU and 1 GPU WUs finish up. On my client it said I'd get 70k for the GPU one. Well I'm seeing on the [ExtremeOverclocking] site that I didn't get anywhere near that for actual credit. Looks like 2,225 points at 6am, 123 points at 9am, 2,391 points at 3pm. Definitely seems there is some sort of problem.

And pretty sure the GPU scheduling is not an option for me since my machine is running a Ryzen 5 3500u with Radeon Vega 8 graphics, that option is only available on NVidia GPUs at the moment.

Could be issues due to some Windows updates (Version 2004 specifically) from what I've read. Hopefully there's a new update in the near future to resolve things.

I'm on 2004 as well, but recently switched gpu from an RX480. I never had any problems with it on 2004 either and first gen 1700x and B350 chipset. :shrug:

I d o think my ppd has been lower than I anticipated for a GTX1080 FTW, but it's been a lot more than the old Radeon card..

image.png

@JustinP526 There is definatley something a miss at the moment. I think a combination of a Windows update or new client will be the remedy. In the menting I feel your ffrustration !

I can fold with 1 GPU, my problems arise when I add the second. If you are you folding with your CPU and GPU? Maybe worth trying just GPU and see if that settles anything down.

Read an article on Forbes yesterday that really makes me think about ditching Windows altogether again.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2020/07/26/system76-reveals-an-open-source-surprise-for-amd-ryzen-fans/#4d97774f6e4e

Sounds like a good deal to me for sure, and I'm sure much less bugs and problems that cause headaches. I've always said I'd choose open source over any other option.

Think this is the site to get it. May prep up some USB drives to make a bootable and see how it goes.

https://system76.com/

Best of luck if you do go that route, I don't seem to have a fraction of the problems most ppl mention having on Win10, it's stable and works as expected. :shrug:

I've only had Windows 10 for a few months.  I've had a total of Zero problems with it so far.  Seems to be fast and stable.  I really drug my feet moving from Windows 7 (which I also liked), but so far have found Windows 10 to be a better system.  However, I've not tried to fold on any of them.

I now have Windows Defender blocking me from installing CCleaner and won't allow me to run Malwarebytes, claiming they are PUA's. I'll have to get a better virus protection on here I guess. HP loves to setup their machines with McAfee Live, but I hate that program and refuse to pay for it since the trial is run out. I do remember in the past I've run Avira and AVG on some older (Pentium 4) machines in WinXP. Any good recommendation?

I think so far the only thing I really truly hate in regards to Win10 is that it seems to keep wanting to push M$ products on my and almost demands that I set my default for Bing search engine. Besides for that, I haven't personally had any major stability issues. Only a need for updated audio driver to correct a problem with sound auto muting while volume at any level.

Defender is a great product, MS is just trying to cover their bases. That said, you can disable the pua detection quite easily.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/microsoft-defender-antivirus/detect-block-potentially-unwanted-apps-microsoft-defender-antivirus