JustinP526

System setup and upgrade

Running an HP Pavilion 15-cw1063wm with Ryzen 5-3500U, 8GB DDR4, 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD.

I've noticed that everything seems to install on the SSD only (which, is filling up quick) and nothing seems to install to the HDD. Wondering if I have something set up wrong, or am I not utilizing the drives correctly? Never had a PC running the SSD/HDD combo before. I'm pretty sure the SSD is the NVMe type, so I should be able to upgrade it to a larger capacity drive... if mobo supports?

I guess I was thinking that OS would be on the SSD and everything else would install to the HDD. I'll have to search it up and see what's best to do.

Also trying to find what speed my current RAM is, thought I seen it somewhere in system information (Win 10 x64), there's only 1 stick installed and 2 total slots. Should be very easy to upgrade to a matched pair to get 16GB+ and possibly faster. System info reports that I have 8GB physically installed but only 5.92GB physically available. I assume the difference is due to shared RAM for GPU.

Thanks much!

Go to crucial.com and run their upgrade advisor, it'll tell you what is in there, its speed and what's supported. As for upgrading the ssd, it's likely possible, but you'll have to get a USB to nvme adapter and that's can be frustrating. You'll have to open it up and see what kind is in it if the crucial tool doesn't tell you. 

Tx 

According to HP you have 8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB).  There are two slots and it can handle 32 GB.

I stopped worrying about matched memory.  There are several real world studies that show there is little if any advantage to marched pairs.

It also looks like you could upgrade your M.2 SSD to 500 GB

By Default windows installs to the C:/  - All programmes will install there. If you get the option to do a custom install and not accept default setting when installing you can change the drive to your HHD (I'm assuming the SSD is C:/?). Not all software will play nicely though if you do this. Better off with a decent size SSD and use the higher capacity HHD for files, music etc.

Thanks very much for the info!!

I'll debate on what to do then. Also was considering just to build a new desktop. Really surprised by the performance of this Ryzen 5 and seeing the new B550 mobos coming out, thinking of working on a build based on one of those. Especially for [email protected], I've been netting almost 10k ppd on this lappy!!