Every now and then I receive a message indicating Windows needs to update. I delay this process by indicating a date in the future to do the update but this becomes a bothersome task. Why you ask? After an update my printer ceases to operate and I need to reload the software. Then I begin receiving McAfee pop up ads I don''t want. Sometimes McAfee sends messages a scan has detected security risks. Of course I immediately run my PC Matic software and it detects no problems. Eventually they seem to stop after putting up with them for days. I know some are unavoidable but is there a proactive way to stop the McAfee ads? 

Have you tried uninstalling all McAfee apps/programs?

I must qualify my actions by stating I am very ignorant of the working of a PC. I deleted everything  I could locate with Mcafee in its title. Don't  know if that was a good or bad move but does not seem to ever stop the pop ups. 

I'm going to assume you are running Windows 10

In the white box in the lower left of your screen that says "type here to search" type in : add or remove programs - then hit enter.

The apps & features settings should open.  Scroll down to the M's and see if any McAfee programs appear.  If they do, then click on them one at a time and select Uninstall.

Then for good measure, run AdwCleaner.

Download AdwCleaner from here and save it to your desktop.

• Double click on the file you just downloaded to start AdwCleaner
  • Run AdwCleaner by clicking on Scan Now
  • When it has finished, leave everything that was found checked, (ticked), then click on Clean and Repair
  • if it asks to reboot, allow the reboot
  • on reboot, click on View Log File; please attach the content of the log to your next reply.

42 minutes ago, Tomk_ said:

I'm going to assume you are running Windows 10

In the white box in the lower left of your screen that says "type here to search" type in : add or remove programs - then hit enter.

The apps & features settings should open.  Scroll down to the M's and see if any McAfee programs appear.  If they do, then click on them one at a time and select Uninstall.

Then for good measure, run AdwCleaner.

Download AdwCleaner from here and save it to your desktop.

• Double click on the file you just downloaded to start AdwCleaner
  • Run AdwCleaner by clicking on Scan Now
  • When it has finished, leave everything that was found checked, (ticked), then click on Clean and Repair
  • if it asks to reboot, allow the reboot
  • on reboot, click on View Log File; please attach the content of the log to your next reply.

Thanks for the responses. I have deleted all applications for McAfee long ago. I assume the HP laptop I purchased some time ago has a relationship with McAfee and whatever causes the popups is activated with each Windows 10 update. Must be coded in another application that does not carry the McAfee name. The AdwCleaner application is FREE but the site you referenced did not work. I always go on the premise if it's free there is a catch.

Rox

AdwCleaner is owned by Malwarebytes.  It has always been free.  Malwarebytes also has a free version that I've used for many years.  It also has a paid version that offers realtime protection.  In other words, it runs in the background like an antivirus.  The free version only does a scan when you tell it to.

Here is a link to their site instead of the direct download link: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Thank you for taking the time to help. I do appreciate it. I did the download and selectively removed a bunch of HP files which appeared to not be computer threatening? 

I must say the pop ups and other ads have stopped...at least for the present. Even if I must run the AdwCleaner after each windows update it makes my computer use more enjoyable than it has been. I thank you!

Rox

I'm glad they have stopped... but they shouldn't come back when windows updates.  If they do, then please post back.