Sign in to follow this  
lorriehe

Updating an app on Android Phone

I use Whatsapp on my Android to communicate with relatives in Peru.  I haven't used it in awhile and it says I need to update it.  When I click the download button it tries to download the update but it says I don't have enough space.  No free space.  I'm kind of dummy when it comes to mobile phones.  I can I fix this?

Hola @lorriehe

There are a couple things you can do or try. 

I'd start with uninstalling any apps you don't use. Next, you can go through the apps you do use and want to keep, and delete the cached data for each of them. 

You could also ensure that your pictures and videos you've saved have successfully been backed up to your Google Photos account, if they have, you can delete them from the phone to reclaim space. 

Those are what I'd start with. If by chances it doesn't help, post back and we'll try again. 

Tx 🤠

I did removed the cached data from the apps I keep.  I only have about 4 pics on the phone.  Some of the stuff listed in apps I'm afraid to delete because I don't really know what they are or if they are needed.

OK, you did these things already and weren't able to install the updates? What kind of phone is it? 

Tx 🤠

ZTE phone

Oof, after lookin your device up and checking its specs, you have 4 options. 

1. Uninstall apps that aren't essential, regardless if you occasionally use them. 

2. Try adding a micro SD card to moves pics and app data(that it'll allow) or possibly use as internal storage

3. Factory reset the device and start completely "clean", as if it's a new device. 

4. Buy a newer, unlocked device(Google Pixel 3a and 3a XL are fantastic and affordable) that will work with the sim card in your current device. 

Tx 

2 hours ago, Tx Redneck said:

Oof, after lookin your device up and checking its specs, you have 4 options. 

5 options.....root that bad boy!! and install a lighter custom ROM.

The reality is, the specs on that phone are not powerful enough to run the latest Android OS and give you a good user experience; the internal memory will struggle with the latest OS (11) with some users of the BETA release reporting up to 16gb of space being reserved for system.

I'm with TX - if you can afford it, and it's an option; upgrade your phone.

Yah, looks like it's time to upgrade. BTW (I told you I'm dumb when it comes to phones) how do you uninstall an app?  I was able to clear cache but I couldn't figure out how to uninstall.

3 hours ago, lorriehe said:

Yah, looks like it's time to upgrade. BTW (I told you I'm dumb when it comes to phones) how do you uninstall an app?  I was able to clear cache but I couldn't figure out how to uninstall.

Here ya go ma'am. https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-delete-apps-in-android/

Tx 🤠

Well I finally was able to remove or disable some apps.  I ended up uninstalling the one I was trying to update.  I reinstalled but I can't find it????????

Open the Play store to ensure it did install, if it did, you'll have an icon in the app drawer.