jeb1

Video card or screen short

Upon starting my Acer Nitro VN7-571G-719D with NVIDIA GTX 950M I would get colored pixels while booting.  I assumed this was a video card problem.

Then the screen started to flash on and off.  If I moved the screen a little this would stop and everything worked as advertised.  This has progressed to the point to where the screen will now flash on and off and sometimes go blank - moving the screen sometimes works but at other times I have to re-boot.  Also, sometimes moving the laptop slightly makes the screen flash.  I now assume I have a short going to the screen.

Is this something I can troubleshoot and fix?

Tks for the help - jb 

Man, those symptoms sound just like a bad cable. There's one that'll run near/through the lid hinge and are prone to failure over time. It could just be the connection wriggled loose on either end, but that's the first thing I'd look at if it were mine. 

Tx 🤠

Tks for the reply - appreciate it.

That was my suspicion - the pixel thing that happen a couple of months back didn't make sense but everything else seemed to point in that direction.

Is this something I can check/replace?  Are there any directions anywhere I could follow to do so?

Again, tks - jb

I've done a few on different laptops, but it's generally somewhat difficult. I'd find a local shop that shows to be trusted and turn out quality work and have them take care of it for you. They're going to be experienced and insured against loss should something else accidentally be broken in the process.

Tx 🤠

You're welcome. 

Tx 🤠

Update - found a UT clip on how to change the screen cable - popped the trim off, found a short where cable goes through hinge, moved it around a little and now have short and blank screen in only one place.  Will order cable and change out.

Again, tks for the help. - jb

Nicely done and glad you were able to confirm my suspicion. Best luck gettin it swapped out!

Tx 🤠