Sign in to follow this  
hydrotaoist

Fold for the Corona virus

I know this forum is about dead but this is my home stomping grounds. For anyone able hit up the folding because they have prioritized for the Corona virus. This is the real reason this project was started and it is something that can have a immediate impact on all of our lives.

So those who haven't folded in awhile, kick it back up again and lets knock this virus out.

Hey @hydrotaoist

I've not folded in a long time, but I cranked it back up today to see what I can do. I'm assuming that when I stop using the pc for work, it'll engage the cpu as well, but I'm not sure. Last time I folded, you had to put all these flags here, comments there, etc. It was a complicated beast. 

Tx 🤠

image.png

OK; I've got it folding on my work laptop.

No way to choose to fold for COVID so I've left it on 'Any disease'

3 hours ago, nigsy said:

Rock on, thanks Nigel!

On another note, we've 11 new members in the fold now! https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&a=2&t=32035
 image.png

:clap:

Tx 🤠

Not able to fold full time but will when my ole rig is not in use.

GUNS! So good so good to see you bubba! You do what you can, you've gone waaaaaay above and beyond on giving. ;)

Tx

Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2020 at 3:52 AM, nigsy said:

Any Disease is the correct choice.

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=32463&fbclid=IwAR1v8Z_2VbB__5izLF989xPRRg9WIYzbd9d5gkfAaP3jCPdkcJbeyUpIt-U

So great to see new folders. Thanks, everyone!

Edited by flyfishingrules2
Addition

Good to see you FF2!

It's been a while - I've turned on a couple of servers, so heat allowing they should help.

8 hours ago, Char said:

It's been a while - I've turned on a couple of servers, so heat allowing they should help.

My apologies, but I don't think we've met, not that that means anything. I do see you're an "old timer" beyond myself, so thank you for helping us out with this! 

Tx 🤠

Posted (edited)

Hi Tx,

Nice to meet you !

I used to hang out in the pitstop forums a good few years ago and enjoyed contributing to their folding team.

I fondly remember the days of installing XP on a 4 raptors in a raid 0 array in FAT32 as it  scored more points in Pit Wars (Overclocking competition using the PC Pitstop benchmark program) getting helpful pointers from IntelGuy - Happy times !

Looking at some of the names, It's lovely to see some of the "old farts" still around or poppin back in  (Dickster, Bruce, flyfishingrules, caintry_boy, Joe C)

Cheers all

Jack

Folding stats starting to update now

Edited by Char

As it were, we lost Intel Guy, Cainty Boy and Ykawika all in the last 4 or 5 years. 😭😭

Tx 

Thats very sad to hear.

I bought some memory of IG many years ago for my Extreme Edition CPU. He couldn't have been more helpful, he posted it to me in England from the US and talked me through the nest settings to use, top bloke.

I recall Canny Boy being poorly, but his posts were always cheery and friendly. I don't recall Ykawika, but another sad loss I'm sure.

Didn't expect that news, but that's life I suppose.

Need to take care of yourself and others.

Jack

Yep, that's me. Just sorting out what gives the best return. Found my spare servers despite having two 6 core HT processors, don't give a great return. GPU's seem to be the way to go.

So I pointed the GPU's from my unRAID server, which by tomorrow will have 2 x R9 Nano GPU's in. Also a GTX1080 from my media server and off and on a RTX 2080 Super from my daily driver.

Will see how it goes heat wise and what it does to the electric bill 🤨. My figures will settle down then I suspect.

Jack  

Well, I know there has been a significant increase in the number of people folding, but I'm finding my pc's are spending an awful lot of time doing nothing other than attemting to download WU's.

What's even worse is I'm now experiencing completed WU's failing to upload - they just sit there, the amount of credit slowly ticking down. 

Anyone else expericning this?

Oh yes having the same problem my old rig is capable of close to  million a day just been waiting on WU's like you are.

I've been babysitting mine as much as I'm able. If I see they're inactive, a reboot almost always makes them pick up a WU. I'm not sure how or why it works, but it's far more effective than pausing the client or force closing it in task mgr. 

Tx 🤠

Well one eventually uploaded around 30k points down from 230k on completion and the second 200k is now donwn to19k but still not uploaded. 🙄

FAH.thumb.JPG.883d81b0c7b90a1f047d7d5b4d7d28cb.JPG