Change Mode

I go to what I thought was the PCMatic web page, has your CEO standing on the left side of the page, I have seen this page before.

After about 10 seconds, a chat screen pops up and a support rep asks if they could help me.

I ask if the shield icon should show up when I bring up Microsoft Edge (my pc is 6 weeks old and it's a win10 machine).

She says yes, asks when I loaded PCMatic, doesn't sound like PCMatic was loaded correctly etc..

Then she says she will have a support tech call me, the tech who will be calling me is Eric Edwards.

I get a call from Eric, asks me if I could share my computer, I say yes, has me go to www.fastsupport.com, gives me a code to enter and he is in.

He wants my pin which I give him.

He then proceeds to look at PCMatic, create a Windows restore point, check my system specs (ram, processor etc..).

He then runs a "diagnostic" job in the command prompt window which scrolls super fast that you can't see what it's doing.

Then it runs for about 2 minutes and the last line says WINDOWS 10 HAS EXPIRED, YOU NEED TO RENEW WINDOWS 10 (which did not sound correct at all!). 

He says PCMatic is really not doing anything behind the scenes because of this even though everything seems to run just fine with PCMatic.

He says you probably has viruses and need to have a Microsoft certified tech clean and update Windows which will cost money to do.

He says when you buy a new computer, the Win10 is a trial version for the first month, then you have to pay to update/activate.

He then asks me if I have a Microsoft store near by, that I would need to get a hold of them, get a tech etc..

He tells me he can set this up right now with a Microsoft certified company while I am on the phone, get a tech to help me and it would all be taken care of.

The company AARAV Technical Support Services Inc will handling it.

Now he tells me that we have to use a check instead of a credit card number because of the viruses, wanted me to scan a copy of a check through my printer which mine can't.

He proceeds to open a Notepad window and list the prices and then wants me to list my name, address, bank, routing # and account #.

At this point I say I have to research this issue some more before I'm going to give him this info (no way) and the conversations ends and I take back control of my machine.

I then reinstalled PCMatic, ran a scan, ran a full scan with Windows Defender, rebooted, and change my pin number.

Nothing showed up, everything looks fine, but is it?

Any thoughts, should I have someone reset Windows 10, restore it from the beginning, run some sort of job to do a deeper scan???

Hola @ColoradoSteve and :wpcm:

I'm sorry we get to meet under these circumstances, but your situation is becoming something we're hearing about more frequently through our Customer Support team. It's proving to be quite difficult to get these scammer shut down, but we're not giving up the fight!

To be clear, and almost without exception(we do occasionally offer support here on the official forums, but try to direct you back to our support team), THE best place for PC Matic product support is https://www.pcmatic.com/support/ We have NO affiliate companies that are contracted to help us support our software, we do that 100% in-house, in America and as a company are very proud of this.

That said, it's really hard to know exactly what they've done with and or to your pc once they were able to remotely access it. Many of those remote desktop programs allow things to be done from the other person's side(person remotely controlling) that you'd be oblivious to and no anti-virus program would alert you to the fact that anything untoward is happening.

It'd be my recommendation that you find a local computer shop that you feel comfortable with, explain the situation and tell them you'd like to make sure your pc is still secure. This will likely incur a fee. If you don't want to go that route and are comfortable backing your data up on your pc, you can "reset" it for free and start fresh again with a known-clean and secure pc.

Should you opt to go the reset route, here's how to perform the reset after you've ensured all data you want to keep has been safely backed up. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026528/windows-10-reset-or-reinstall

Once that's complete, here are instructions on how to get PC Matic reinstalled.

To reinstall PC Matic or install the program on an additional computer, download and install the program by clicking the link below: 

https://pcmatic.com/download

Once the program is installed, launch the application, and login to run the scan.  For PC Matic, you only need to login with the same registered email address , and password as was previously used for the original installation.  Do not click on the 'Register' or 'Edit' option or otherwise try to use the license key again.  To reset your password click the link below: 

https://www.pcpitstop.com/support/#/kb/login-issue

If you do not receive the link to reset the password in just a few minutes, be sure to check your junk mail folders both on the local email client and also at the online email program.

To install SuperShield directly click the link below:

https://supershield-files.pcpitstop.com/pcmaticss3.0.24.0-setup.exe

Here's a video guide for adding computers. 

I hope this helps and sorry for what you're dealing with, 

Tx 🤠