adi

Formatting a drive is enough to prevent confidential data outflow?

Recently, i bought a new external hard drive and now it's not working fine. Since last two days, it hangs whenever i try to store data. I tried several methods to make it healthy again but nothing worked for me. Now i finally decide to replace it and before sending it for replacement i formatted the drive to prevent confidential data outflow. Now i wanted to confirm is it safe now ?

Hey @adi and :wp:

To be as certain as one can be, you could encrypt the the drive, then format it again. That would ensure any data that may have been recoverable should be sufficiently destroyed. 

Tx

As I recall, the encryption scrambles any data and thus would require the key to decrypt it and formatting furthers the destruction since you're not intending to decrypt.

That cool.😃  This is something i wasn't aware off. Year back when i was in need of data erasing i downloaded a tool name as bitraser for file and wiped the entire drive.