Sign in to follow this  
rgsmile

Hate Google Chrome's constant popup ads

I do like Chrome for watching Netflix with its backwards/forwards 10 sec moves.

But, when I do surveys, or emails, or newscast, or streaming, Chrome keeps sending me these popup, no-sense, ads. No sense, because they do not apply to me.

Also they slip highlighting words in various articles, that if you happen to pass over, they popup until you move the mouse, and if you happen to click, they show a full page ad. BOO!

One of my sons went into the Chrome (settings, I think) and checked, or unchecked, a box to stop ads, but to no avail. Those idiot popup ads are still there.

Also ads popup on the lower right screen and show many different ads, including recipes.

I have to keep going from IE to Chrome to keep peace in my brain.

Does anyone have any suggestions, other than remove Chrome completely?

Thanks in advance for any help.

rgsmile

<>

In my above post there are two underlined popup ads buried. Words are "click" and "lower". This is part of what I mean.

While ads are a necessary evil, Chrome's are Hell.

rgsmile

<>

Edited by rgsmile

1 hour ago, rgsmile said:

In my above post there are two underlined popup ads buried. Words are "click" and "lower". This is part of what I mean.

While ads are a necessary evil, Chrome's are Hell.

rgsmile

<>

It's not Chrome per se; I think you have an unwanted browser add on. Check any addons/extensions in Chrome and disable/ remove any you don't recognise. Make sure you have a good ad-blocker installed:

https://www.ublock.org/chrome 

I use ad block plus and never see any kind of ads on my browsers.

29 minutes ago, JustinP526 said:

I use ad block plus and never see any kind of ads on my browsers.

ABP is in the extortion business of getting paid to allow ads through. https://adblockplus.org/acceptable-ads

You're better off with uBlock Origin, at least till Manifest v3 goes into effect and Google breaks ad blocking as we currently know it. 

Tx 

according to the internet, all of the ad blockers have problems. I do not need more problems.

While I am using Chrome, I cannot even sign into my mail.

I have to use IE in order to use my mail.

So, I guess just getting rid of Chrome is the only solution.

Why is Google so greedy that it makes things complicated due to all their ads. BOO!

@rgsmile What happens when you try signing into your email account and who's your email provider? 

19 hours ago, rgsmile said:

according to the internet, all of the ad blockers have problems. I do not need more problems.

Don't believe the internet!!

Both me and TX use UBlock Origin; as a user I can safely say it works and doesn't cause any issues!

As for the adverts or 'Underlined links' as I stated previously; you either have an unwanted browser extension or a 'PuP' (Potentially unwanted programme'; you need to uninstall that program to get rid of the problem. Something free like Lavasofts Ad-Aware will do it; or you can manually go into control panel > Add or Remove Programmes and in-install any you don't recognise.

I use AdBlock (minus the plus)
Couple of things you can do:

Since it sounds like a browser addon, run a simple malware scan like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or, set Google Chrome back to default

backup your Favourites/Bookmarks and other data can be found below.
Backup Chrome Bookmarks

Proceed with the reset once done
Chrome - Reset browser settings

I use Revo Uninstaller and no unwanted programs have appeared. I also use Spywareblaster and Super AntiSpyware Professional

and Ccleaner Pro.

SAS removes  the Pups.

If I am in Chrome and try to sign into my Yahoo/Frontier webmail, I enter my sign in name and password, but it just takes me back to my sign in page. A round-robin.

When I remove Chrome, I'm able to sign into my webmail (if needed very seldom), without any problem.

I removed Chrome and now am happier.

Thanks for trying to help.

rgsmile

<>

No browser extensions have shown up.

I also run Malawarebytes and Stinger.

Somehow, though, I have not rec'd a daily newsletter from FileHippo for a few weeks.

I have used it for years to update my apps. I searched but found no way to sign up for the newsletter, only new apps that I do not trust.

rgsmile

<>

I was a Frontier subscriber for years, their page is terrible, but I never wasn't able to sign in. Makes me curious as to what's going on with your situation. My elderly mother uses Chrome and is also a Frontier subscriber as well... 

The troubles all started with Chrome. I made NO changes to anything. It just doesn't like my Win 7 Dell.

One of my sons is visiting me and uses Chrome on my other pc, a HP Win7.

I will give Chrome another try when I get my next refurbished Win 7 PC.

Until then, Chrome, get lost.

rgsmile

<>

Applause, applause. I know they have to make money to stay in business, but their greed is ridiculous.

<>

Just guessing but I'll bet when you downloaded Chrome there was an extra something checked to be installed.  Happens a lot with free programs.  I always double check my installs to make sure nothing else is checked.  Some are tricky!

I'm another fan of uBlock origin.  Works well and unobtrusive.  Both Adblock and Adblock Plus are paid to allow some ads through, such as google adsense and others.  They call this "acceptable ads".  They also use more resources than uBlock origin.  This is most notable if you open alot of tabs on an older system.