Sign in to follow this  
jeb1

Old - very old - XP laptop and internet

I posted this under the internet topics - maybe should have posted here?

I have tried everything I can think of but my old laptop running XP does not find my wireless router - or any of the others in the neighborhood that show up when I do the same with Win 10.  The last time I used this laptop I used one of the ATT flash drive like things that plugged into the laptop.

Any suggestions?

Edited by jeb1

More info could result in better responses.

All we know is you have an XP laptop that isn't finding your wifi signal.

Maybe you could tell us brand and model of the lappy?

Apparently you used an ATT Velocity USB stick to access the internet before.  I believe that is a cellular modem... rather than a wifi radio.  Does your lappy even have wifi?

Like Tom states; it might not even have a wireless card fitted.

Have a look under: Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System > Device Manager: Open up the Network Adaptors node and see what's in there.

I would also add - Putting an XP machine onto the internet is a bad idea - Don't use it for anything as you'll just find yourself infected with multiple viruses etc.

On 5/6/2019 at 12:41 AM, Tomk_ said:

More info could result in better responses.

All we know is you have an XP laptop that isn't finding your wifi signal.

Maybe you could tell us brand and model of the lappy?

Apparently you used an ATT Velocity USB stick to access the internet before.  I believe that is a cellular modem... rather than a wifi radio.  Does your lappy even have wifi?

TomK_ the computer is a ProStar from about 2002.  ProStar built laptops for the military at the time and this one weights a ton but one can drop it from a rooftop and it will keep on ticking.  I don't think it has a modem in it so that is the problem.  And, yes, the ATT stick I was using was a cellular device.

I am just going to ditch the idea of trying to use this old  laptop.

My present laptop is a very high end Acer laptop - at least it was about 2 yrs ago when I bought it.  :)  I have had several Acer's over the years and all have been outstanding without a single problem.  I would like to get my 23 yr old grandson, who has ADHD and a couple of other problems, a new laptop.  With all his problems he is very smart and computer illiterate.  I am thinking maybe this one - https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.3909370.  What do you think?

And tks for the input - jim

That's a heckuva laptop Jim and very kind of you to consider it for him. Do you know what his main uses would be? if he's going to be on the internet 99% of the time and only using a web browser(no CAD/Rendering, etc) a Chromebook is a whole lot cheaper and will do the vast majority of what folk use a pc for anymore today. Look at it like this, if he's not going to do anything different than he'd do on a mobile device, just have a bigger screen for it, Chromebook is the way to go(IMO).

Tx :)

Tks for the reply - at present he spends a lot of time either playing a video game or watching others play one. (That I don't understand but, hey, what do I know.  :)  He also video chats with some people. 

I have been using computers since we used a soldering iron to build them but still don't consider myself an expert by any means - was a lot closer to being one many years ago.  :)  And these new notepads, Chromebooks, etc are something I know nothing about.  At present, he has a "tablet" of some kind - as I understand it, that is basically a cellphone with a larger screen.

Is there something between a Chromebook type and a full laptop? 

I am up looking at the Chromebook now - it seems it will do most of what a laptop does but I assume without all the power of a good laptop.

Again, tks for the info - jim

Been online looking at info on Chromebooks.  The prices are all over the place - from a little over $100.00 to $999.00 which is way over the Acer laptop.  In my post above I pointed out what he does at present - it seems that with a full laptop it opens up a lot more that could be done.

So much info.  :(

Take care - jim

One of the things I have noticed in Chromebooks, notebooks and laptops now  is that none have CD players anymore.  I can only think of one time I have used one on my present laptop so I guess virtually everything can now be downloaded or use plugin flash drives.

You can do video chat and games on a Chromebook. Games would be browser based or you also have the ability to install and use Android apps on them as well. They have many "benefits" such as no malware(but there are questionable browser add-ons in the Chrome Web Store), your data is encrypted and secure off of the computer, they boot VERY quickly, have great battery life, etc. 

I have and use both and they both have their pros v cons. 

There are pricey Chromebooks, but those are the "premium", not the mainstream. Like you, I've had great luck with Acer products, but at the end of the day, you'll have to decide what's best for your monies. 

Tx

Tx, appreciate the advice.  Am thinking of how to get the most bang for the buck and having done some searches online I am leaning to possible a 2 in 1 - that seems to give the advantage of a tablet and a laptop.  Looking at the Acer - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077TCVT7Q/?tag=pm3-2in1-20  My thinking is that this gives one the flexibility to expand beyond the  limitations of a tablet in the future.

In looking at Chrome based machines I do have some issues , however.  If I read it right, win based programs must be ran through apps - if an app is available.  This, of course, takes thousands of programs out of the picture.  If the reasoning is to expand out of the tablet arena in the future, would it not be better to go Win instead of Chrome?

It seems that one of the advantages of the 2 in 1 is that the screen can be detached from the keyboard but I am not sure that the Acer above can do this.

Ah, so much info, so little brain.  :)

Again, tks for the help. - jim

Hi Jeb;

There's quite a good guide to pro's and con's of Chromebooks here:

https://www.stylefactoryproductions.com/blog/chromebook-review

I have a Chromebook that I use when working away from home primarily to Stream Netflix or music from my Plex server. I have an older cheaper model so have no offline storage so it needs a WiFi signal to work - Something to be wary of!! Think of a chromebook as a large android phone.

3 hours ago, nigsy said:

Think of a chromebook as a large android phone.

Except its not android and therefore won't run most apps (in some cases non of the android apps).

1 hour ago, jeb1 said:

Tks for the help, guys - I appreciate it.

Here is what I decided to go with.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-000X-00UY7

That's a nice machine. I got this in Dec, it's pretty similarly spec'd. I'm sure he'll be stoked! https://www.costco.com/Lenovo-Flex-5-Series-2-in-1-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---GeForce-MX130---1080p---Active-Stylus.product.100402546.html

14 hours ago, jeb1 said:

Tks for the help, guys - I appreciate it.

Here is what I decided to go with.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-000X-00UY7

That is a very nice machine.  I think he will find that there isn't much he can't do with that rig.  Looks like a good price also.